PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 question

Duckie
11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Last night in the 14.1 league, I had a shot that was in a position to make two balls. I wanted to make one for sure, the other was gonna be a bonus, but I called both balls instead of just the one. The one I wanted to make went in, the other didn't(stroked just a little too easy, cause it was going). Anyway......I considered that a foul cause I didn't make both of them. Is this correct thinking?

Tom_In_Cincy
11-30-2006, 01:26 PM
First, you can't call two balls. Just the ball you want to make and the pocket you want it to go.

Secondly, you can't foul on a legal hit. If you made a ball on the shot, that is a legal hit. No Foul, regardless of what the other ball did.

Deeman3
11-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Duckie:

In addition to what Tom said, it is not very smart to call two balls, even if you could. There would be absolutely no possible gain from doing so and you will be taking a chance that one does not go (just as happened to you). You were at fault for calling two balls and even in a bar game someone would say you had not made the shot as you called it.

DeeMan

MrLucky
11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Duckie:

In addition to what Tom said, it is not very smart to call two balls, even if you could. There would be absolutely no possible gain from doing so and you will be taking a chance that one does not go (just as happened to you). You were at fault for calling two balls and even in a bar game someone would say you had not made the shot as you called it.

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote> <font color="green"> Actually seen this happen in a bar money game ($500 a rack) The local talent got cocky and called 2 balls one didn't go and he lost his turn and got "Jacked UP!!!!" </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

walt8880
12-01-2006, 03:18 AM
I had a similar situation happen to me in a bar 8 ball game not long ago. My opponent had an obvious cut shot into a corner pocket with a possible carom on another ball in the jaws of the opposite corner pocket.

He said nothing before the shot, missed the obvious cut and made the carom, then looked at me and said, with a straight face " Oh, I was playing them both."

My reply, "Sure you were, have a seat."

Deeman3
12-01-2006, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr>

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote> <font color="green"> Actually seen this happen in a bar money game ($500 a rack) The local talent got cocky and called 2 balls one didn't go and he lost his turn and got "Jacked UP!!!!" </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Mr. Lucky,

$500 a rack bar pool? I've got to move to Atlanta... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

DeeMan

Fran Crimi
12-01-2006, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> First, you can't call two balls. Just the ball you want to make and the pocket you want it to go.

Secondly, you can't foul on a legal hit. If you made a ball on the shot, that is a legal hit. No Foul, regardless of what the other ball did. <hr /></blockquote>

Right, and just to add to what Tom wrote, if you call two balls, the first one you called is the only one that counts as being called. You can call 10 shots at the same time if you like, but in a call shot game, it's the first one you called (unless you cancel it) that determines whether or not you will shoot again. Anything else that goes in is a bonus for the shooter, called or not, as long as the first called shot is pocketed.

Fran

MrLucky
12-01-2006, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr>

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote> <font color="green"> Actually seen this happen in a bar money game ($500 a rack) The local talent got cocky and called 2 balls one didn't go and he lost his turn and got "Jacked UP!!!!" </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Mr. Lucky,

$500 a rack bar pool? I've got to move to Atlanta... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green"> C'mon down plenty of room for ya but bring your A+ game there are some heavy hitters in the home of Folks like Johnny Archer and Thornfeldt among many good hitting locals, there was a guy at one of the local bars last friday from TN playing $200 a rack 8 ball taking on all comers and winning! </font color>

<font color="red"> I might add also in regards to the calling two balls rules .. What goes in some tournament play isn't the same as far as "RULES" in a money game ! You call two balls they both better go! (in my 40+ years of playing) </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Duckie
12-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm new to 14.1 and don't know about all the rules yet. Thanks for the info from everyone.

I definetly well never do it again.

walt8880
12-01-2006, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr>

Mr. Lucky,

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green"> C'mon down plenty of room for ya but bring your A+ game there are some heavy hitters in the home of Folks like Johnny Archer and Thornfeldt among many good hitting locals, there was a guy at one of the local bars last friday from TN playing $200 a rack 8 ball taking on all comers and winning! </font color>

<font color="red"> I might add also in regards to the calling two balls rules .. What goes in some tournament play isn't the same as far as "RULES" in a money game ! You call two balls they both better go! (in my 40+ years of playing) </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Mr. Lucky -

Why would anyone ever be foolish enough to call two balls? If you call one and it goes in, anything else that goes is just free gravy.