PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Congress Expected to Push Amnesty Bill

SpiderMan
12-04-2006, 08:48 AM
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20061204-122448-1240r.htm

Congress will approve an immigration bill that will grant citizenship rights to most of the 12 million to 20 million illegal aliens in the U.S. after Democrats take control next month, predict both sides on Capitol Hill.

While Republicans have been largely splintered on the issue of immigration reform, Democrats have been fairly unified behind the principle that the illegals currently in the country should get citizenship rights without having to first leave the country.

"Years of dawdling have worsened our border security and made it harder to fix this broken system," said Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, the Vermont Democrat who will lead the Judiciary Committee next year. "We should not let partisan politics and intolerance continue to delay and derail effective reform."

Democrats in both chambers say they will start with some form of legislation first drafted by Sens. John McCain, Arizona Republican, and Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, which was the basis for the bill that was approved earlier this year by the Senate.

"This past May, the Senate Judiciary Committee reported and then the Senate passed bipartisan versions of comprehensive immigration reform to bring people out of the shadows while strengthening our borders," Mr. Leahy said. "I look forward to building on that work next year and making progress on a bipartisan effort that improves security, supports our economy and respects the dignity of all people."

House Republicans and many outside Congress derided that bill as "amnesty" for allowing illegals to remain in the U.S. and eventually become citizens. Democrats say it's not amnesty because aliens must pay a fine and wait years before becoming citizens.

"The Senate bill is pure amnesty," said Rep. Jack Kingston, Georgia Republican. "Dress it up any way you want, it's still amnesty. It lets people pay their way out of sneaking into the country illegally."

With President Bush as an ally in the White House, he worries, Democrats will proceed next year with legislation to ultimately make citizens out of most of the illegals now in the country. And Republicans, still reeling from deep losses in the November elections, will give up the fight.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, California Republican, said he expects an immigration-reform bill that doesn't deport illegal aliens to be the only significant legislation to come out of the new Democratic Congress and win Mr. Bush's approval.

"The only real legislation that can be expected from Congress is amnesty," he said. "If they come up with a plan and the president is behind it, it will pick up a lot of our own members."

Republicans also expressed little confidence that their leadership team is committed to blocking amnesty.

The group Americans for Better Immigration, which supports tougher immigration policies, has given Republican leaders mixed grades on the issue. But on the issue of amnesty, the grades have been much worse.

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
12-04-2006, 09:08 AM
On this matter, Democrats are as reckless and stupid as Bush, IMO.

Deeman3
12-04-2006, 09:12 AM
This means I get to keep my maid, right?

DeeMan

pooltchr
12-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I believe I predicted this would be the first piece of legislation after the new congress went to work.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I wish I had been wrong on that one!
Steve

SpiderMan
12-04-2006, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> On this matter, Democrats are as reckless and stupid as Bush, IMO. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know that I'd call it "reckless and stupid" - they know exactly what they're doing. They're willing to compromise our security and sovereignty to add a block of voters whom they believe will punch a straight democratic ticket.

SpiderMan

pooltchr
12-04-2006, 05:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> On this matter, Democrats are as reckless and stupid as Bush, IMO. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know that I'd call it "reckless and stupid" - they know exactly what they're doing. They're willing to compromise our security and sovereignty to add a block of voters whom they believe will punch a straight democratic ticket.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

But how many voters will they turn off in the process?????
Steve

Qtec
12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
OTOH how do you deport 12 million people? The courts would be choked with lawsuits.
You can't get rid of them all.

Q

Gayle in MD
12-04-2006, 10:18 PM
From a voters perspective, it's reckless, because it does not follow the law, and it's stupid, because, we already know, amnesty programs encourage more illegal occupation of our country.

If Government, cannot oversee the VISA program, or our present immigration program, and didn't they just lose over 100,000 files, we dont' even know, how many terrorists are going to receive amnesty, when this legislation goes through.

It may not be stupid, or reckless from the politicians point of view, I'm not a politician. I'm a voter. Hence, it's reckless, and stupid. They should have to wait until every one who is on the list, legally waiting to be a citizens, reveives their citizenship. In the meantime, they should be told that if they do not sign a statement, agreeing to pay taxes, and not work under the table, those who do so, or are caught breaking our laws, will be deported, along with any of their children, born here during their time here. IOW, break our laws, you go home.

If they work here, pay the appropriate taxes, stay out of trouble, fine, they wait their turn, in line, to become a citizen, only after they pay back all the money they owe in taxes.

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
12-05-2006, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know that I'd call it "reckless and stupid" - they know exactly what they're doing. They're willing to compromise our security and sovereignty to add a block of voters whom they believe will punch a straight democratic ticket. <hr /></blockquote> Perfectly stated.

eg8r

pooltchr
12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> OTOH how do you deport 12 million people? The courts would be choked with lawsuits.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Easy! Every time one of them gets into the system...traffic violations, applying for drivers license, auto accidents, whatever...you find out they are illegal...you send 'em packing. Don't let the door hit ya!
Let 'em take their families with them!
Steve

Chopstick
12-05-2006, 06:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> OTOH how do you deport 12 million people? The courts would be choked with lawsuits.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

We did it once already back in 54. Although the accounts vary on how many were actually deported it seems to have worked just fine. I see no logistical reason why it could not be done again.

Gayle in MD
12-05-2006, 09:16 PM
It could be done. And, our borders could be closed. Big business, pulling the national strings with $$$ to keep the cheap labor coming through. That's how the problem got so far out of hand in the first place. We have a country of the rich, by the rich and for the rich. And you know those rich guys, gotta have their slaves.

We're sending our kids to Iraq to protect the borders???? But we can't protect our own borders???

I swear, sometimes I think someone kidnapped my in my sleep, and dropped me on a strange planet.

I was proud of the Mexicans, though, the way they protested the corrupt elections. They showed more patriotism than we did over our recent corrupt elections.

Gayle in Md.

DickLeonard
12-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Gayle I think I favor a getting in line approach. Getting photo,fingerprinted,giving dna,getting searched in the Criminal data base. If their not willing imbed in them a tracking device and release them into the wild. Of course we can add thousands of jobs tracking these aliens.

Hopefully I can work from home instead of visiting with my friends on the CCB.

Could we borrow Russia's radioactive poison and lace the Border and just bury the Dead in piles.

Seroiusly it is an unsolveable problem unless we treat everyone as a criminal. Whenever we encounter one arrest them on the spot, then start deportation proceedings. Just start profiling anyone speaking Spanish. Speak Spanish produce green card or proof of citizenship.####

Gayle in MD
12-06-2006, 08:17 AM
HA ha ha ha... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif You're a scream! Hey, deporting illegals is supposed to be impossible, but getting the Sunnis and the Shiites to love one another, is supposed to be reasonable??? Now, who would be dumb enough to think that way??? Don't answer that one Dick, lol. We both know the answer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Love you...

Gayle

nAz
12-06-2006, 02:21 PM
oh oh....

The Boston Globe reports:

Frank proposes that if businesses support a minimum wage increase and provide protection for workers adversely affected by trade treaties, Democrats would be more willing to ease regulations and approve free-trade deals. Frank also would support changes to immigration rules favored by businesses, and noted that allowing more immigrants would put needed funds into the Social Security system.

Frank casts his proposal as a way for capitalists to quell some of the populist fervor that was expressed in last week's election, when many Democrats vowed to crack down on companies moving jobs overseas.

"I'm a capitalist, and that means I'm for inequality," Frank told Boston business leaders on the morning after Election Day, in a speech about his grand bargain. "But you reach a point where you get more inequality than is healthy, and I believe we're at that point.

"What we want to do is to look at public policies that'll get some bigger share of the increased wealth into wages, and in return you'll see Democrats as internationalists ... I really urge the business community to join us."

Frank is about to become chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, a position of real power.

SpiderMan
12-07-2006, 09:58 AM
WASHINGTON -- New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson says a fence at the Mexican border authorized by Congress this fall "gets in the way" of U.S.-Mexico relations, and he wants the new Democratic Congress to reverse the legislation.

"The fence is very unpopular on the border in Texas and New Mexico, in Chihuahua," Richardson, a Democrat, said after meeting Wednesday with leaders from the Mexican state of Chihuahua. "So one of the most significant and constructive acts the U.S. Congress should take is to get rid of it."

Richardson said he will call on Congress not to build the fence during an address Thursday. He also will press lawmakers to approve a bill that secures the border and provides a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants. While Congress and President Bush approved the 700-mile border fence, a widely debated bill overhauling immigration policy died in Congress this year.

Full Story (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/06/AR2006120601878_pf.html)

SpiderMan

Deeman3
12-07-2006, 10:04 AM
It's started...

DeeMan

pooltchr
12-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree with him. A fence is not necessary. A mine field would work much better!!!
Steve

Gayle in MD
12-07-2006, 11:10 AM
IMO, it started, long long ago, thank you Ronald Reagan! The amnesty king! And, yes, every single president who hasn't done anything about it since! However, if you look at the numbers since Reagan sent out his message across the border, come here illegally, and we'll forgive and forget, the problem has become greatly multiplied.

Now, here's a good question. Why the hell did we refurbish the Statue Of Liberty? Aren't the sentiments slightly dated, and anachronistic?

Gayle in Md.

SpiderMan
12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Frank who? Or do you mean Barney Fag/Frank? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> oh oh....

The Boston Globe reports:

Frank proposes that if businesses support a minimum wage increase and provide protection for workers adversely affected by trade treaties, Democrats would be more willing to ease regulations and approve free-trade deals. Frank also would support changes to immigration rules favored by businesses, and noted that allowing more immigrants would put needed funds into the Social Security system.

Frank casts his proposal as a way for capitalists to quell some of the populist fervor that was expressed in last week's election, when many Democrats vowed to crack down on companies moving jobs overseas.

"I'm a capitalist, and that means I'm for inequality," Frank told Boston business leaders on the morning after Election Day, in a speech about his grand bargain. "But you reach a point where you get more inequality than is healthy, and I believe we're at that point.

"What we want to do is to look at public policies that'll get some bigger share of the increased wealth into wages, and in return you'll see Democrats as internationalists ... I really urge the business community to join us."

Frank is about to become chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, a position of real power. <hr /></blockquote>