PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the New Seven Wonders?

S0Noma
12-04-2006, 04:51 PM
21 'New' Wonders to Choose From (http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,5538,PB64-SUQ9MTc3NjEmbnI9MQ_3_3,00.html)

wolfdancer
12-05-2006, 11:55 AM
R, great pictures...thanks for the link.
Of all the "wonders" pictured, I've only seen two up close...The Opera House (with all it's construction problems, it's a wonder it ever got built)...and the Eiffel Tower.

Deeman3
12-05-2006, 12:02 PM
12 of the 21...

DeeMan

wolfdancer
12-05-2006, 01:33 PM
That's way, way over the average... and most were built with slave labor...just imagine how that would solve any of your employee relations problems today !!!
If I had my choice of just one....I'd pick the great wall.
As for modern "wonders"...some of these bridges and tunnels are awesome feats of engineering. Maybe they should have used a little better glue though for the one in Boston.

Deeman3
12-06-2006, 07:28 AM
The Great Wall was one of my favorites. We had arrived in Beijin at like midnight and stood in Tienenmen Square until morning with all the little police trying to avoid our cameras. I guess they though we were doing something they didn't want to be photographed around. At dawn we went to the wall and I remember they had bears in pits that were for entertainment but I could not help feeling they were being mistreated in those pits. The wall was so damn impressive, going out of sight in both directions and very wide where we were. We were the only western people there except for some nut who was trying to ride a bicycle the length of the wall!!! I saw the wall again a few times furtheraway from the city but that first time was a "keeper".

DeeMan

hondo
12-07-2006, 11:21 AM
5 for me: Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, Chichen Itza,
Colliseum, and Ludwig's castle.

eg8r
12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Out of all the images, there are only two that I have seen and you have mentioned them. The Statue of Liberty and Ludwig's Castle. About 7 years ago my wife (she was my girlfriend at the time) and I went to Germany for vacation. We did not do the normal "touristy" type vacation because we stayed with a family over there. However, seeing the Castle was definitely one of the main attractions we went to visit. It is just beautiful. The main entry gate was actually the living quarters for Ludwig while the castle was being built so he could watch over the whole process. We also learned on the trip that Ludwig's castle is what Disney used for Cinderella's castle.

eg8r

hondo
12-08-2006, 09:23 AM
It was certainly impressive. My wife swears that the
only thing that impressed me were the 2 rooms full
of portraits of his mistresses. But she's wrong.
I liked the portraits of his horses also. Just not
as much.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Out of all the images, there are only two that I have seen and you have mentioned them. The Statue of Liberty and Ludwig's Castle. About 7 years ago my wife (she was my girlfriend at the time) and I went to Germany for vacation. We did not do the normal "touristy" type vacation because we stayed with a family over there. However, seeing the Castle was definitely one of the main attractions we went to visit. It is just beautiful. The main entry gate was actually the living quarters for Ludwig while the castle was being built so he could watch over the whole process. We also learned on the trip that Ludwig's castle is what Disney used for Cinderella's castle.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>