PDA

View Full Version : New Pockets - Balls bounce out

jjinfla
12-06-2006, 06:46 AM
We have new Connely Ultimate tables which in all aspects are great except for the fact that if you shoot a ball directly into the pocket at fast speed the ball hits the back of the pocket and will pop back out onto the table.

The pockets being new are still hard and I suspect they will soften up after use but is there anything I can do to speed up the softening up process?

Not a huge problem for me since I normally don't shoot all that hard.

Jake

Deeman3
12-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Jake,

I had a new Brunswich that did the same thing. I ended up splitting the cowhide at the back of the pocket and softening it with saddle soap. I had no further problems with it spitting out balls.

DeeMan

Cornerman
12-07-2006, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> We have new Connely Ultimate tables which in all aspects are great except for the fact that if you shoot a ball directly into the pocket at fast speed the ball hits the back of the pocket and will pop back out onto the table.

The pockets being new are still hard and I suspect they will soften up after use but is there anything I can do to speed up the softening up process?

Not a huge problem for me since I normally don't shoot all that hard.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>If they're new Connellys and they spit out balls, they'll spit them out on medium shots and soft shots as well. Depends a lot on the angles of approach. Right down the throat, and it's cross your fingers time.

And there's always going to be the time when you must fire the object ball due to position.

The pocket design is bad, IMO. Other furniture tables also have problems, but Connellys seem to get more reports than other tables.

Fred

Fran Crimi
12-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I've seen this. The balls are bouncing into the rim of the pocket on the way in, which they shouldn't. I don't know what causes it...Slate too deep? Angle of the rim? Rim too thick? Rim too low? Installation flaw? I've never seen the problem fixed.

Fran

bsmutz
12-08-2006, 10:04 AM
My snooker pockets do this, too. They are definitely broken in, though, since they seem to be 80 years old or so. I was told that you can hang a strip of leather down the back of the pocket on the inside to make the balls stay down, but haven't tried it. I play them as good shots and try to catch them before they hit any of the other balls. Like you said, it doesn't happen very often. Usually I'll try to hit the edge of the cushion on the way in when I'm having to shoot hard for shape which works on the corner pockets. I have had a couple spin around the back of the side pocket and sling back out.

av84fun
12-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I would be concerned that saddle soap residue will transfer to the balls and then the cloth.

You might consider getting some Duct Tape in the color of your leather and put two or three layers at the back of the pocket where the balls are making contact...two would probably work fine.

On the other hand, you might just leave things the way they are and have a "table knowledge" advantage over anyone you play against on your table.

LOTS of "out of town" shortstops have been robbed by being taken to "the money table" which was, in fact, tricked out with slightly loose cushions on one side but not the other etc. so the rebound off them would be WAY different than the other rails!

(-:
Jim

jjinfla
12-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Duct tape - the all purpose savior.

Don't know how that would go over.

I would think that Connelly would have solved this problem by now.

Jake

Brad
12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Connelly Ultimates used RC Pockets. There are a couple of things you can try. First, if the ball is bouncing off the inside trim of the pocket, you may be able to fold the inside trim up and make a relief cut in the top leather. Then, fold the inside trim back down to cover your cut.

Second, if the ball is striking the ridge of the iron itself, the iron is too low. The simplest way to correct this is to loosen the pocket bolts and twist the back of the pocklet iron up. In other words, the tip in the jaws of the pocket would go down, and the back of the pocket would go up. This will change the deflection down into the pocket. If neither of these work, call your installer. That's an expensive table and should be maintained by a professional.

Also, if you're having trouble with the finish of the pocket rubbing off, ie: burn marks from the cue stick, change to Hood pockets. RC pockets suck.

jjinfla
12-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Sounds like this is a long standing problem with Connelly tables. It is a shame they would produce them this way. I will pass this info on. Sounds too complicated to me.

Thanks,

Jake

slim
12-13-2006, 06:08 AM
You could try contacting other pocket mfg. their alternatives may help. I would let the table mfg. know of this problem and try and have them pick up the cost of the new inserts.