PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup

jjinfla
12-08-2006, 06:42 AM
Is it just me? I didn't know they started play already.

Not much buzz about it. No threads. No discussion. I guess there is not much interest in it.

Anyone know how much money the players receive?

Jake

Fran Crimi
12-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Anyone know why there's not a women's division? Are the women not welcome?

Fran

Qtec
12-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I will be going tonight! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif 3 singles matches being played and I hope one includes Earl.

Q

Rich R.
12-08-2006, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Is it just me? I didn't know they started play already.

Not much buzz about it. No threads. No discussion. I guess there is not much interest in it.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>
Jake, there are reports on the InsidePool web site.
http://www.insidepoolmag.com/

Rich R.
12-08-2006, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Anyone know why there's not a women's division? Are the women not welcome? <hr /></blockquote>
Fran, I think it would be great if they had a women's division, or even a totally seperate tournament, with a female version of the Mosconi Cup. Have the men play in December and the Women play in June. It would keep the buzz going almost year round.

HarryDC
12-08-2006, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Is it just me? I didn't know they started play already.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

You bet! Pool is top secret! ha ha ha Not many people know it exists outside the players and the industry. Not much interest! Money that would be a real question???? Don't let the buzz get you there may be no cure for it?

Happy Holidays

HarryDC

CCn7
12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I think having the Ladies start their own Cup would be great. A Jean Balukas Cup Tournament, how thrilling would that be to see Jean Balukas shoot again.Or the Fran Crimi Cup, has a nice sound to it.

HarryDC
12-09-2006, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CCn7:</font><hr> I think having the Ladies start their own Cup would be great. A Jean Balukas Cup Tournament, how thrilling would that be to see Jean Balukas shoot again.Or the Fran Crimi Cup, has a nice sound to it. <hr /></blockquote>

SORRY!

The Europeans would never agree with that! Naming a women's event after American Women Stars? American's don't get to watch it on TV so who cares?

But of course the oldest and finest pool tour in this country, the WPBA, isn't on TV in Europe so it evens out.

HarryDC

jjinfla
12-09-2006, 06:53 AM
How come Charlie Williams is not on the team this year? I remember when Charlie/UPA wanted to keep Earl off the team a few years back and were not successful. Now it looks like Earl has prevailed.

Jake

HarryDC
12-09-2006, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> How come Charlie Williams is not on the team this year? I remember when Charlie/UPA wanted to keep Earl off the team a few years back and were not successful. Now it looks like Earl has prevailed.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,

I have no idea about the Earl Charlie confrontation but I think CW is to busy with his own production company (Dragon Promotions)to find time to play as much as he has.

Do you think CW will play in the Florida Pro Tour at Rockies? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
12-09-2006, 07:19 AM
I hope Charlie plays in the FPT. He does well there and usually comes in the money. He is always a favorite.

Fran Crimi
12-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Back in the 70's and early 80's, the WPBA used to host the annual Ruth McGuinness Challenge Cup in honor of the first real female pool star in the U.S.

The cup was a beautiful huge silver cup bearing the names of the all the winners, and the current winner got to keep it for the year. I guess it's still in the hands of the last winner. Don't know who that is, unfortunately.

It would be nice to revive that tradition.

Fran

HarryDC
12-09-2006, 05:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Back in the 70's and early 80's, the WPBA used to host the annual Ruth McGuinness Challenge Cup in honor of the first real female pool star in the U.S.

The cup was a beautiful huge silver cup bearing the names of the all the winners, and the current winner got to keep it for the year. I guess it's still in the hands of the last winner. Don't know who that is, unfortunately.

It would be nice to revive that tradition.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran,

What a great idea! I didn't know such a tournament existed.
I will e-mail WPBA and see if I get a response.

Who should play in the tournament just American's? As much as I would like to see just American's some of the Euorpean
and Asian ladies have green cards so they are American's too. The apple pie kind!

HarryDC

Fran Crimi
12-10-2006, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr>
Fran,

Who should play in the tournament just American's? As much as I would like to see just American's some of the Euorpean
and Asian ladies have green cards so they are American's too. The apple pie kind!

HarryDC
<hr /></blockquote>

They'll have to update the format to fit modern times. It used to be a one against one match. Any player interested in competing would write a letter to the WPBA stating why they felt they should be chosen to compete. A committee would choose the competitors from the letters. That was back when we only had 50 or 60 members to begin with.

It could be made a team format now. We never really get to see the women pros playing in a team format. I think that would be really interesting to see on TV.

Fran

HarryDC
12-11-2006, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr>
Fran,

HarryDC
<hr /></blockquote>

They'll have to update the format to fit modern times. It used to be a one against one match. Any player interested in competing would write a letter to the WPBA stating why they felt they should be chosen to compete. A committee would choose the competitors from the letters. That was back when we only had 50 or 60 members to begin with.

It could be made a team format now. We never really get to see the women pros playing in a team format. I think that would be really interesting to see on TV.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran

I made some inquiries about the silver cup and who might like to produce and sponsor such an event. Just have to wait and see if any response is fourth coming.

HarryDC /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fran Crimi
12-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Okay, good deal, Harry. Keep us posted.

Fran

HarryDC
12-11-2006, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Okay, good deal, Harry. Keep us posted.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran

Received this response from the WPBA in answer to my questions about the event and the silver cup:

(QUOTE)
The previous cup was an independent event, not run by the WPBA. I will look into what was done and see if there are any options for the WPBA. Thanks for your email and send one anytime.

thanks,

Jay (UNQUOTE)

A very inadequate response! I don't think in all honesty that anyone there knows about the event as it was probably before there time. To bad! Someone knows where the cup is?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I hope it didn't go to the hock shop? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

HarryDC /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
12-11-2006, 02:47 PM
It was definitely a WPBA event. I found one brochure and one flyer in my files.

The following was written in the brochure for the "Third Annual Ruth McGinnis Challenge Cup" (I believe this was in 1979):

"The main goal of the WPBA is to advance the level of skill of women players and, furthermore, to encourage the growing interest of players and spectators in the sport of women's pocket billiards. In accordance with these goals, each year the advisory board selects two WPBA players of comparable speed to play for the Rugh McGinnis Challenge Cup from letters of application that come from women all over the country.

The players are chosen on the basis of enthusiasm evidenced in their letters, their involvement in WPBA tournament competition, and support of the women's billiard group. It is considered an honor to be chosen for the Cup match.

This pocket billiards competition enables women players of various skill levels a chance to play in a major event. Each year the Cup is passed from hand to hand. It is something tangible we can share. It is a Players' Cup. Therefore, the chosen two players in any given year will not be eligible to play for the Cup again until the third following year.

The match, in which last year's winnner, Loree-Jon Ogonowski defeated Betsy Jacobs, 75-54, serves a dual purpose. It is being held to honor the first great pioneer of women's billiards, Ruth McGinnis. It is also a fundraiser for the WPBA. These monies will be used to insure the continuance of future women's tournaments."

There was also a list of sponsors and a mention of a trick shot exhibition by Willie Mosconi.

Hope this helps.

Fran

jjinfla
12-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I would think that Jean Balukas would know.

She would have been 19 years old in 1979.

She probably won it and it is lost among all her other trophies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jake

HarryDC
12-11-2006, 05:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> It was definitely a WPBA event. I found one brochure and one flyer in my files.

The following was written in the brochure for the "Third Annual Ruth McGinnis Challenge Cup" (I believe this was in 1979):

"The main goal of the WPBA is to advance the level of skill of women players and, furthermore, to encourage the growing interest of players and spectators in the sport of women's pocket billiards. In accordance with these goals, each year the advisory board selects two WPBA players of comparable speed to play for the Rugh McGinnis Challenge Cup from letters of application that come from women all over the country.

The players are chosen on the basis of enthusiasm evidenced in their letters, their involvement in WPBA tournament competition, and support of the women's billiard group. It is considered an honor to be chosen for the Cup match.

This pocket billiards competition enables women players of various skill levels a chance to play in a major event. Each year the Cup is passed from hand to hand. It is something tangible we can share. It is a Players' Cup. Therefore, the chosen two players in any given year will not be eligible to play for the Cup again until the third following year.

The match, in which last year's winnner, Loree-Jon Ogonowski defeated Betsy Jacobs, 75-54, serves a dual purpose. It is being held to honor the first great pioneer of women's billiards, Ruth McGinnis. It is also a fundraiser for the WPBA. These monies will be used to insure the continuance of future women's tournaments."

There was also a list of sponsors and a mention of a trick shot exhibition by Willie Mosconi.

Hope this helps.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran

Thanks so much! I have contact information for Loree Jon and I will call her and ask. In fact I have contact information for Jean too and will ask her if need be.

Happy Holidays to you all,

HarryDC

Fran Crimi
12-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't think the cup should be retrieved. Leave it be and get a new one. Too many years have passed.

Fran

HarryDC
12-12-2006, 02:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I don't think the cup should be retrieved. Leave it be and get a new one. Too many years have passed.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran

Received your PM and the promoters have been notified as to the circumstances of the old cup.

Thanks

HarryDC