PDA

View Full Version : Any Metal Detector Treasure Hunters Here?

Gayle in MD
12-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I had a discussion with this old guy on the beach a few years ago who was walking the beach every morning with his metal detector. I usually run about five miles in the mornings, and walk back barefoot along the surfline, so I had seen him everyday. Come to find out, he was the man I had read about who had found a WWII widows wedding band, and used the local newspapers to find her after reading the beautiful inscription inside the band.

Anyway, he was telling me that a metal detector, at a busy beach, will pay for itself the very first weekend, I think he said he paid about twelve to fifteen hundred for his. Hey, that's a lot of money, huh? Anyone ever have any experience with those things???

Gayle in Md.

SPetty
12-08-2006, 01:54 PM
We took our metal detector to the beach once. Dug up a nasty old metal toy truck. The small "hot wheels" size.

Guess we went to the wrong beach.

SpiderMan
12-08-2006, 02:15 PM
No direct experience, but I have seen several public beaches with signs banning metal detectors, and wondered why.

SpiderMan

cushioncrawler
12-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Metal detectors in usa will really take off when the usa eventually gets rid of the $1 and $2 notes and replaces them with small coins. Thats what happened in ozz in about 1983. And now that we have detectors that u can program to discriminate against allmost everything else other than a $1 or $2 coin (eg a toy truck, ringpulls, bullets, syringes), it is all too eezy. My son and his wife, when they stop for petrol at some outback town, they go over to the local footy ground or school sandpit, and get enuff dough in an hour or two to fill the tank have lunch and go to the next town. And, the beauty of it iz that it iz all renewable energy (ie petrol), koz in a couple of years time when they pass by again new lost coins have replaced the first crop. Down at the beach, after a big blow, new sand is exposed, and it is detector city. Or, after a bushfire, as soon as the fire trucks leave, they moov in and look for gold nuggets, that they couldnt eezyly reech koz of the thick scrub. Instead of paying $1500 for a poolcue, one can make more dough with a detector.

My brother goes over the same tourist park spot in the nearest town allmost every week, and it still pays. I joke that the tourists are sick of him following them around. And, i think that there is some sort of law about finding a coin before it has stopped rolling.
madMac.

Gayle in MD
12-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Interesting. This old guy I spoke with, what a sweetie he was, anyway, his bounty was mostly jewelry, pretty expensive stuff. I suppose, on has to go to the right beach, as SPetty, suggested. He reached in his pocket, and pulled out a hand full of gold. Rings, necklesses, bracelets, you name it.

In Florida, I have a friend who has a whole collection of spanish coins...that would be fun.

Gayle in Md.

Nostroke
12-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I did it steady til about 1-2 years ago and i will go back to it if i ever feel well enough and find some good sites- I dont do beaches but i doubt you can pay for a unit in a single weekend unless you get awfully lucky.

I look for old coins and have found hundreds of silver coins going back to 1740 but mostly from the 1920's to 50's. A guy not too far from me found 9 10 and 20 dollar gold pieces from the 1830's-value in the 30K range. I havent had that kinda luck. My best coin was worth only $70 or so.

Ive found a bit of gold too but the trouble with looking for gold rings is they give off the same signal as a pop tops so you have to dig about 200 pop tops for every gold ring. I just dont have that patience. It may be different at the beaches.

Its a fun hobby and my detector- $700.00- is paid for many times over. The downside-lots of poison ivy and cuts from glass in the ground.

There used to be two treasure hunting mags mostly devoted to metal detectors. Eastern and Western Treasure and i forget the other one- Here is one of them-maybe the other is out of business. Ok good luck

http://www.losttreasure.com/

Gayle in MD
12-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi,
Hey, I didn't know you were having any health problems. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope it isn't anything serious.

Wow, sounds like your friend knew where to look. Where did he find those 30K coins???? Was he located in Fla, or NY?

Well, I really wish I could remember the kind he told me to get, as he was very specific, not to buy any other kind. Maybe, when I start to shop, my memory will be jogged as to the name.

Since you say you don't do beaches, what kind of locations do you hunt? Guess, since I love the beach, I never really though about other locations.

Hope you'll be feeling better...thanks for the interesting reply.

Gayle in Md.

Nostroke
12-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Any place old-old parks, schools, woods, along the sides of old roads. My best site was a college that had burned down in 1920 or so. I just stumbled on it in the woods. There was nothing left of it. Only after i found so many old coins there for no apparent reason, my friend went to the library and found out about the college. I continued to find stuff
there for 3-4 years easy. No one else was on to it which is rare. Many people actually research more than they hunt.

Anywhere old where the terrain hasn't been modified to any great degree and had people around way back is a good site though many have been picked clean.

I didnt know the guy who found the old gold coins- he took pictures though and posted them in a Metal Det shop that i went to. He was NOT giving up the location.

A guy i did know found $6000.00 in bills in a tin box buried in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. It was a survivalist cache complete with cans of food etc. The bills were all mildewy and falling apart. He figured the guy who buried it had died. Back when many old timers buried gold coins rather than use a bank. Every so often they are found. The best was in the UK though where a guy with a detector looking for a lost tool found a hoard of gold, goblets, jewelry etc from the Roman times- Value 15 Mil. As i recall the Govt took the stuff but paid him the going rate. Here in the US, the Govt will just take your stuff and not give you anything if the find is in a certain category like antiquity or has historical value.

Garrett and White's are the only 2 brands to consider.

S0Noma
12-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Gayle, metal detectors have evolved over time to become ever more sensitive and easy to use. Years ago they were unable to distinguish between a coin and a beer or soda can pull top (pull tabs and bottle caps gave metal detector fans nightmares for years because there are so MANY of them buried out there).

In the interim the sheer number of people using metal detectors has soared and many historical and public sites are now fairly well 'picked over'. This is not to say that perseverance and a little research or access to private property might not give you a shot at fresh ground.

Paying for an expensive metal detector with a weekend's effort sounds a little like tales of the California Gold Rush when a group of Frenchmen showed up here with rakes - believing no other tools would be needed to pull out the abundant gold nuggets that littered the streams. My guess is that there are MANY more metal detector users out there who only find enough 'buried treasure' to keep their hobby interesting and pay for their gas much less pay for their detectors.

OTOH: That's probably all it takes to keep them happy. For the majority of users it's a hobby but not something you'd want to bank your future on.

Gayle in MD
12-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks, I've read that they are much more accurate these days. I think it would be kind of fun, on occasion, but only at the beach. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The shipwrecks are what capture my imagination! I want to get the submergible kind. I like to scube dive...

BTW, I watched a documentary recently, a new one, about the Bermuda Triangle, and they said 120 boats are lost every year in the triangle. Man, that doesn't sound possible, does it?

Gayle...