PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cue

Shaft
12-09-2006, 05:14 AM
I am looking for a 2-pc cue in the $200-$500 range and I would like anyone's opinion on best *performance*. I don't care about looks or price - I care about experience, testing, stats, etc. Your personal experience between two or more cues counts. I have seen Meucci's video on Dr. Dave's site. This is the kind of engineering evidence that really impresses me (although I do have some questions about Meucci's set up).

What's your favorite cue, but more importantly, why ?

Rich R.
12-09-2006, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> I am looking for a 2-pc cue in the $200-$500 range and I would like anyone's opinion on best *performance*. I don't care about looks or price - I care about experience, testing, stats, etc. Your personal experience between two or more cues counts. I have seen Meucci's video on Dr. Dave's site. This is the kind of engineering evidence that really impresses me (although I do have some questions about Meucci's set up).

What's your favorite cue, but more importantly, why ? <hr /></blockquote>
It would be best for you to find a cue that feels best to you. However, since you came here for advise, I assume you have not tried a lot of cues.

With your budget, I would highly recommend that you go to this web site, http://www.cuesnthings.com/ and buy one of the Bob Frey sneaky pete cues.

Bob Frey worked with custom cue maker, Tim Scruggs, for a number of years and his cues are extremely good. You will be buying an entry level custom cue, rather than a mass produced Meucci.

BTW, I have no connection with that web site or Bob Frey. I do not have a Frey cue, but I do have a Scruggs. I do know a number of people who have Frey cues, because he is in my area, and all of them are happy.

hondo
12-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Based strictly on hit:
Production cues- McDermott, Joss, J. Pechauer
Custom- Tim Scuggs SP, Pat Diviney SP, Keith Josey SP.
Also Dale Perry, Jerry Rauenzahn, Shurtz.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> I am looking for a 2-pc cue in the $200-$500 range and I would like anyone's opinion on best *performance*. I don't care about looks or price - I care about experience, testing, stats, etc. Your personal experience between two or more cues counts. I have seen Meucci's video on Dr. Dave's site. This is the kind of engineering evidence that really impresses me (although I do have some questions about Meucci's set up).

What's your favorite cue, but more importantly, why ? <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
12-11-2006, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> Custom- Tim Scuggs SP, Pat Diviney SP, Keith Josey SP.
Also Dale Perry, Jerry Rauenzahn, Shurtz.
<hr /></blockquote>Hondo, Tim Scruggs hasn't made sneaky petes for years. On the used market, they tend to go for amounts greater than the $500 limit mentioned by Shaft.
Tim refers all inquiries about sneaky pete cues to Bob Frey. The cues from these two men are very similar, except for price.

Cornerman
12-11-2006, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> I am looking for a 2-pc cue in the $200-$500 range and I would like anyone's opinion on best *performance*. <hr /></blockquote> I will never understand the use of the word "performance" when describing the functionality of a cue. The cue has to be made with quality material, and quality construction. Apart from that, balance, weight, and feel and a good tip is what allows the player to maximize his performance. With today's technology and information, any cuemaker that doesn't make a top performing cue will not be in the business long.

In other words, there is no cue that performs any better than another. Poorly assembled cues and cues made with poor materials will perform worse, especially over time.

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen Meucci's video on Dr. Dave's site. This is the kind of engineering evidence that really impresses me (although I do have some questions about Meucci's set up).<hr /></blockquote> IMO, this is very dangerous. I think a lot of people will get easily impressed by this kind of testing and results. The problem is that the results are misleading at best. If people like to play with Meucci black dots, then it's because they like to play with Meucci black dots. It shouldn't be because of the results of his tests.

Now, if you asked which cue has the least squirt, or which one transfers the highest percentage of energy, maybe that can be answered. But performance?? I don't think so.

For me, I look for cues that fit my specifications for playing (weight, taper, balance) and feel (low vibration, muted sound). So, my favorites are going to be Schuler, Lambros, as well as many of the flat-faced joints with tight connections (too many to list).

Just one man's opinion.

Fred

hondo
12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Yes, I should have stated that when I listed it.
I bought a really nice used Scuggs on ebay about
8 months ago for $290. Looks almost new.
Bargains are out there.

<hr /></blockquote>Hondo, Tim Scruggs hasn't made sneaky petes for years. On the used market, they tend to go for amounts greater than the $500 limit mentioned by Shaft.
Tim refers all inquiries about sneaky pete cues to Bob Frey. The cues from these two men are very similar, except for price. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
12-11-2006, 10:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> I bought a really nice used Scuggs on ebay about
8 months ago for $290. Looks almost new.
Bargains are out there.<hr /></blockquote>
You got a great deal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

slim
12-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Low end 4 point Schon.

cueball1950
12-11-2006, 02:56 PM
you can also buy a good used plain jane cocobola for about 500.00 or buy a new one from Bryan Mordt (BCM) with 1 shaft for about 650.00..........mike

Shaft
12-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Fred: Thanks for writing and I value your opinion. I guess we are defining performance differently.

I am certainly not talking about the player's peformance. But I do think the Meucci video clearly shows a performance difference in their shafts and other shafts.

I don't think their experimental set up is perfect: the bridge allows for shaft rotation in a way that a closed hand bridge would not, and he does not verify that the length and (especially) the weight of the black dot shaft is the same as the other shafts. But I do appreciate his attempt to make objective, quantifiable and repeatable measurements. Despite the flaws in his experimental design, I think he does show a significant difference in squirt or deflection performance.

To fix his experiment, Bob Meucci should
1. fix his bridge,
2. verify that the black dot shaft is not significantly heavier than the comparrison shafts, and
3. Peform each hit more than one time, in fact several times, reporting the range of results.

Snapshot9
12-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Personally, if I was primarily interested in a good playing cue, a Entry Custom Cue from Shurtz Custom Cues is only $250. You get choice of 4 different woods, type of finish, Irish Linen Wrap for a darn good price for a custom cue.

Bob Owen (Gabe's Dad) has cues available (in inventory) within your price range.

Entry custom cue (http://www.shurtzcue.com/gallery/FrameSet.htm)

Shaft
12-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for posting the link. Very good looking cue.

Rich R.
12-18-2006, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> Thanks for posting the link. Very good looking cue. <hr /></blockquote>
It probably doesn't make any difference, but if you have any questions about the quality of this cue, I can tell you that Gabe Owen won the U.S. Open using a Shurtz cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrLucky
12-19-2006, 05:51 AM
I am with Fred on this issue ! having spent many years in marketing, Videos like any other promotional analysis is and will be geared toward the effects that the particular producer wishes to emphasize ! (this is not to say that it is rigged! but I can take the facts that I want to produce and make it appear very clear! unfortunately these results can change according to the "facts" you want to produce by the means and techniques used to produce them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cane
12-19-2006, 07:24 AM
I use a Jerico sneaky pete. Very reasonably priced, great looking cue and it performs wonderfully. I've tried MANY cues, from mid range production cues to high end customs, and this is what I settled on. I just really like the way the Jerico Cues perform. Of course, I'll always go back to saying that if you have a good stroke and good fundamentals, you can shoot good pool with a broomstick, but when it comes to serious pool, a better broomstick sure doesn't hurt anything.

Bob

hondo
12-19-2006, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> Thanks for posting the link. Very good looking cue. <hr /></blockquote>

I bought a Shurtz last year at DCC. $290.
I beat the shirts off of people with it.
Plays very similar to my $1300 Tim Scruggs.