PDA

View Full Version : Age to begin lessons?

mantis
12-09-2006, 07:26 AM
In the opinion of the pool instructors here, what is a good age to begin pool lessons. I have a 2 year old girl that loves to play pool with me. She is a little young to force correct mechanics now, but I just like letting her build up a fondness for the table and game as long as she does not damage my table. I also have a 7 year old nephew who loves to play at my house, and is surprisingly good for his age and lack of experience. Any advice on lessons at these ages, or when to start would be appreciated.

Fran Crimi
12-09-2006, 08:44 AM
You can start them at any age, as long as they have the enthusiasm for it. The only thing you have to be aware of is to make sure they aren't too short for their arm to swing properly at the table, otherwise they'll develop a sidearm stroke that will be difficult to change in later years. Make sure they stand on a platform until they reach the proper height. You might want to consider a shorter, lighter cue stick as well.

Fran

Scott Lee
12-09-2006, 09:29 PM
mantis...The 2-yr old is too young. The 7-yr old is fine, as long as you make it fun for them. Fran's suggestion of a stool, and a shorter, lighter cue is a good one. You contacted me regarding lessons a while back. If you're interested, I'll work with you and your nephew, on your home table. I'll be in Illinois Tuesday through Friday.

Scott Lee

mantis
12-10-2006, 10:17 AM
I definately agree that the 2 year old is too young. I just help her hit some balls because she loves doing it, and I want her to continue to build a fondness for the game without any pressure now. What I would like to know is at what age would you begin to start lessons with her?

wolfdancer
12-10-2006, 10:33 AM
I waited until I hit 60 to take a lesson from you...think I waited too long?

pooltchr
12-10-2006, 03:27 PM
There are many youngsters who started around 7 or 8. Each one is different, so there is no set age to start. If she continues to show an interest, and is willing and able to learn and understand the basic idea being presented, that is the right age. Watch her...you will know when.
Steve

cushioncrawler
12-10-2006, 03:50 PM
I think that the answer iz in the eyes. The eyes havtabe trained to "see" the shot, ie the alignment, ie the relationship between the line of the cue, the pozzy of the qball, the aim on the qball, the eventual contact on the qball, the pozzy of the objectball, the line to the objectball, etc etc.

If your eyes dont see the shot "properly" then the only way that u can get the shot iz to not align properly, or, to not hit properly. For u, 4 "wrongs" make a "correct". U might be able to play reasonably well, but u will havta praktis much more than a player who can "see" -- and u will havta learn to deal with different conditions much better than a player who can "see".

Most everybody seemz to think that seeing is automatic. Most everyone seemz to think that there is nothing simpler than "seeing" a dead straight shot to the pocket. This iz rubbish. Allmost everyone has an erroneous picture of what a dead straight shot looks like -- i dare say that the more realistic the picture the better -- i dare say that some players have a very accurate picture even tho they started "late" -- but, i dare say, the earylr the better anyhow.

Scientists shood be able to tell us what age is "too old" for best learning to "see". Walter Lindrum started at 10, Willie Hoppe (another german) started at 10 (i think). In relation to "learning to see", i dare say that no age is "too young". madMac.

jjinfla
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Your answer is located on Tony Crosby's home page:

http://poolsniper.com/sniper/

Rumor has it that she is giving the 8 ball.

Jake