PDA

View Full Version : Confusion with McDermott cue and prices

gregplus
12-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Hello everybody here,

I am looking to buy a new pool cue. I had a chance to try McDermott cue only.
There is a problem that I do not understand.

On Ebay I can buy brand new McDermott cue for $127. How it is possible if on McDermott web site I found that just shaft itself cost around $250?

Are they shipping different shafts or what is the point?

Also what cue would you recommend for up to $250?
I need something that feel and play good, I do not care how it look like. The TIP should be 13mm

Also is there a big difference between LePro, Triangle and Moori tips? WHich one is the best, why?

Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BillyJack
12-10-2006, 07:18 AM
McDermott's a good choice for your budget. I can't stress enough the value of buying your first decent cue face-to-face from a competent dealer. You'll probably get a discount matching those on eBay, since McDermott restricts their dealers from advertising prices lower than 20-25%. My local dealer will do the same off any cue in stock. Look at the specs on their website for different price cues. You'll find the "business end" is pretty much the same for all their cues, though I would expect their shafts are somehow graded for appearance to match the nicest ones up with the high $$ cues. It's the time and material invested in the butt that makes the price different. The high-priced shafts are laminated shafts, made from many small strips of bonded together to give desired "hit" characteristics. You don't need to go there yet, and can always upgrade later.
With regard to tips, your McD will come with a Triangle, a decent tip to start with. Once you get a feel for it, you can try out others and compare. Search the forums, and you'll find as many different opinions as there are players, but you will see Moori and Sniper probably lead the voting. Hope this helps.
Bill