PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling a pool table

bruno6491
12-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Hello,

I just bought a 3/4" 3 piece 7'x3.5' pool table off ebay for 500$. It is going to come with 2 pool cue racks, cues, balls, racks, and brush. I am going there on either saturday or sunday to pick up the table. Does any have any links to sites that help you to disassemble a table? Anyone have any hints. This is my first pool table and i don't have another 400$+ to have it professionally installed so any help is appreciated. Will i need to replace the felt, cause it looks in good condition or is it because i am disassembling it? Anyone know of any links to reapply cloth/felt?

Any help is highly appreciated by me and my family. Hope to get it set up by christmas.

Bruno

bruno6491
12-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Anyone???

Brian in VA
12-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Go to azbilliards.com and see the table mechanic forum. I'm unaware of any books on the subject. Only other thing I can think of would be to go the manufacturers web site and see if you can print out the owners manual or instruction sheet.

Brian in VA

BigRigTom
12-16-2006, 09:33 AM
This sounds like my 1st experience and my 1st table all over again.....deja vous!
If you are some what handy it will NOT be a big deal.
You can save the cloth and reinstall it IF you are very careful.
Take your time and pull the staples out with some needle nose pliers.
When you are ready to reinstall be careful to center the cloth then stretch it a little more that it was originally to get the previous lines out to the edges and even over the edge if possible. Be careful to reposition the center of the cloth in the center of the table and try to get the spot back where it belongs.
The biggest problem you'll probably encounter here is keeping the spot in the right place. If the spot is worn into the cloth that becomes a bit unsitely if not back in the proper place but even that can be lived with.
Eventually you will want to replace the cloth so you may just have to live with those slight imperfections until then.
As far as the rest of dis-assembly it is a no brainer. Look for the bolts and screws and take them out. Just be careful to mark the pieces clearly so you can put them back exactly where they were before. You may be surprised just how easy it is to get the pieces mixed up and that will cause you fits if you let it happen.
I went to the hardware store and bought new bolts and screws where needed as some of the originals were stripped out and some were missing. Good quality bolts and screws of the correct size make the job a lot easier!

Jal
12-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Bruno,

Just a word of encouragement. My neighbor bought a used table recently and he and a friend disassemebled and reassembled it themselves. I'm pretty sure neither of them had any prior experience at this, but they did what appears to be a superb job - the table plays as true as any that I've played on. They did mention that they recorded the locations of some or all of the parts, as has been recommended. They did reinstall the same cloth as you're planning to do, but may have had a problem with the spot location, since it's missing. Although you can obviously get more expert advice here than they have to offer, I'd be happy to relay any questions you have to them.

Simonis has instructions for installing their cloth here (there's a PDF document you can download on the page).

http://www.simoniscloth.com/Installation.htm

Jim