PDA

View Full Version : Laura Blames Poll Numbers On Press Coverage

Gayle in MD
12-14-2006, 04:58 PM
On MSNBC this morning, Norah O’Donnell asked Laura Bush about a new poll that found "only 2 in 10 Americans approve of the job that the president is doing on Iraq."

Mrs. Bush placed the blame squarely on the media. She said, "I do know that there are a lot of good things that are happening that aren’t covered. And I think that the drum beat in the country from the media, from the only way people know what is happening…is discouraging."

Mrs. Bush added that she hopes there is "more balanced coverage by the media" in the future.

From The Iraq Study Group's Report...
"The truth is that the Bush administration is systematically underreporting the amount of violence in Iraq." From the Iraq Study Group report, pg. 94-95:

"In addition, there is significant underreporting of the violence in Iraq. The standard for recording attacks acts as a filter to keep events out of reports and databases…For example, on one day in July 2006 there were 93 attacks or significant acts of violence reported. Yet a careful review of the reports for that single day brought to light 1,100 acts of violence. Good policy is difficult to make when information is systematically collected in a way that minimizes its discrepancy with policy goals."

<font color="red"> </font color> There you have it folks, it's the media drum beat's fault!!! <font color="red"> </font color>

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

S0Noma
12-14-2006, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There you have it folks, it's the media drum beat's fault!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Must of been that dang media drum beat's fault when his popularity ratings were high too. Gosh darned media drum beat anyway. Where do they get off having that much influence over public opinion?

Don't facts mean anything anymore? And what about the propaganda drum beat? Doesn't that mean anything anymore either?

Feels like we're going to hell in a hand basket.

Gayle in MD
12-14-2006, 06:00 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

93 attacks claimed by the administration, compared to 1,100 actual attacks, that's a wide discrepency, and a pretty big lie! Maybe the recent estimate from the Johns Hopkins group of over a half million Iraqis killed, isn't so far off after all.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
12-14-2006, 06:08 PM
As Yosemite Sam would say
"Nice girl, but she's about as sharp as a bag of wet mice"

Gayle in MD
12-14-2006, 06:15 PM
You got that right honey!!! Any woman who would pay $8,500.00 for that nasty looking red Christmas dress, is not playing with a full deck! When I saw it I said, WOW ... who shot the sofa? Must have been Dick!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
12-14-2006, 06:30 PM
They must have had a sale at wal-Marts...because it looked like two other wimmen folks were wearing them gunnysacks.
Ole Laura had to dash into the ladies room, and change into
something more sedate, befitting a Frau of her stature.

pooltchr
12-14-2006, 07:15 PM
The media is quick to point out when the confidence level of the American public is in the 30% range. How many have reported the latest poll results that also shows confidence levels lower than the President's when asked about lawyers, congress, advertising salesmen, used car salesmen.........and journalists!!!!!!

Fewer people think the media is honest than think GW is!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You won't find those poll results on MSNBC or CNN!

Steve

DickLeonard
12-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Pooltchr when I want the true poll numbers I go to the Fux News Channel.####

DickLeonard
12-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Gayle There was 3 knockoffs at that Party, I wonder what women had the real dress.####

nAz
12-15-2006, 10:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> As Yosemite Sam would say
"Nice girl, but she's about as sharp as a bag of wet mice" <hr /></blockquote>

lol actually that was Foghorn Leghorn,,, talking bout the little chicken hawk.
in the future please try to keep your facts straight, freaking liberals!

S0Noma
12-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks for clearing that up NAz. Have you ever noticed how liberals twist everything to suit their own ComSimp agenda? Makes me sick.

EVERY American KNOWS that it was Foghorn Leghorn who said that. The ONLY way you wouldn't know is if you grew up in Russia or some other Axis of Evil kind of country like that.

Can't stop paying attention for one minute. You just never know what they're going to try to pull next!

wolfdancer
12-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Damn, you're right...I had tried to post that as a WAV file awhile back...kidding Wendy...but you can't link like that to
dailywav anymore

Gayle in MD
12-15-2006, 12:28 PM
The media, as in every venue, has good and bad people. There are journalists who are reporters, and have great integrity. People who risk their lives, for the good of mankind, and are part of the media. OTOH, there are plenty of people in that field, as in every other field you mention, who have no integrity.

What does any of that have to do with the likes of George Bush, and the fact that finally, 3/4 of the American public, and the rest of the world, has seen through the right wing media propaganda, and can now see that George Bush is not only a bad president, but a liar. That he is, and always was, deceitful, destructive to our safety, mentally lazy, and the antithesis of what a leader should be. You are right, there are bad journalists. Thankfully, there are also people of high integrity, who have reported the truth to Americans, and the rest of the world, instead of lying for the benefit of the wealthy secret corporate fascists who run this country, people like George Bush, and his father, and grand father. Bush's poll numbers, have nothing to do with poor journalism. Bush's poll numbers, are a result of his poor performance, and of the fact that some journalists care about getting the truth out to the world.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
12-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Gayle, it's very simple.....it's not "Bad Press" if it's the truth. Stories can be slanted, but the truth, and what the White House wants people to believe is the truth (Newspeak)
are apples and oranges.

Bobbyrx
12-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Since ya'll started this <font color="blue"> web page (http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/men_mostly_republican.htm) </font color>

Gayle in MD
12-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Tap tap tap! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pooltchr
12-15-2006, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Stories can be slanted, but the truth, and what the White House wants people to believe is the truth (Newspeak)
are apples and oranges. <hr /></blockquote>

I suppose you could also say the truth, and what the media wants you to think is the truth, is also like apples and oranges.
Steve

Gayle in MD
12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
You could also say that if you live in the greatest country in the world, you ought ot appreciate it enough, to make damn sure you know what the truth really is. And, you could also say, that when reporters and journalists write books in which the information coincides exactly with the statements made by the generals who retire in protest of a corrupt, dishonest administration, walking away from promotions, and CIA National security experts, who all agree that the president lied us into this war, and has lied to us about the war continously since, and our own National Security Estimate, which proves those lies, and special commissions, such as the Baker Commission, all saying the same thing, that REASONABLE minded, straight thinking people, would admit, that we have all been lied to, and that many have died due to that, and that now, because this President STILL refuses to heed the advice of Generals on the ground, many many more will die, for nothing. Yes, I think you could say that.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
12-15-2006, 09:14 PM
So, what are you saying, Steve, that his numbers are low because of the media? It's the press's fault that nearly four fifths of the American Public think Bush is doing a piss poor job of directing this war? That Laura is right on the money, and we're really winning the war in Iraq, but the press is lying to us about that? That George Bush is doing a good job as president? What does any of this have to do with lawyers and car salesmen?

Bush lies, and smile/nod Laura swears to it...

"Where the is no accountability, democracy must fail."

Car salesmen don't leave our kids to die in civil wars, or are you still denying that this is a civil war?

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
12-16-2006, 05:12 AM
Gayle,
What I am saying is the media has the ability to influence public opinion about many subjects. If the media is always saying the economy is bad, people will begin to believe the economy is bad. If the media is always saying what a great guy Obama is, people will begin to believe it. The news media in our country is as much opinion as it is news. You have to read between the lines, and that requires more effort than the average citizen is willing to put forth. Most would rather be fed, than prepare the meal.
Steve

Bobbyrx
12-16-2006, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>

"the wealthy secret corporate fascists who run this country"

And this secret group started to run the country when?

And if they do (which is conspiracy theory lunacy) how has this war helped them and how has it helped Bush for that matter?

wolfdancer
12-16-2006, 10:37 AM
I'll go with both the many, many reports, and the obvious facts. The war has exceeded the length of WWII, with no end in sight. I'm not sure what is the "magic number" of Iraqi's blown apart by bombs, for the right, that would escalate the slaughter there from an internal conflict to a civil war....but it's a moot point.
Besides the mounting casualties of our own armed forces,.. since many are on their fourth tour of duty...when do they get a chance to build a career, if they survive? Or should they keep on being redeployed to Iraq, until the odds catch up with them?
This "quagmire" was predictable...when you have someone that couldn't even make it in the National Guard,has zero knowledge of warfare, overriding all the intelligence data,and planning and running a war as CinC....add in the fact that his own Father foresaw the dangers of occupying Iraq...well, it's too bad that when God told him to begin this war, he didn't include any plans to win it...it's pretty obvious that despite 6 years of on-the-job-traing, Gearge hasn't a clue, and the some 30% that continue to believe that he has a master plan....they ain't much smarter

Gayle in MD
12-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Steve,
I would appreciate it if you would answer the questions I asked you in my last answer.

Thanks,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
12-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Don't bother posting to me in the future. I find your tactics sexist, ignorant, and generally speaking, of no intellectual value.

Thanks... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

Stretch
12-16-2006, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> As Yosemite Sam would say
"Nice girl, but she's about as sharp as a bag of wet mice" <hr /></blockquote>

lol actually that was Foghorn Leghorn,,, talking bout the little chicken hawk.
in the future please try to keep your facts straight, freaking liberals! <hr /></blockquote>

That's right Naz. Yosemity Sam would have said something like. " Ahhh payed muh 2 bits to see the high dive'n act, and i'm a gonna SEEEEEEE the high dive'n act!!" lol

Still cracks me up watching him after bugs in the ancient Rome times remember? and Yosemity is makin across the lions den on stilts and bugs throws the saws down there for the lions then it's a race to get to the other side as he gets lower and lower on the stilts lol. or when he's tiptoeing through the sleeping lions, makes it half way and bugs lowers down an alarm clock haha. St.

pooltchr
12-16-2006, 07:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Steve,
I would appreciate it if you would answer the questions I asked you in my last answer.

Thanks,
Gayle <hr /></blockquote>

I think there have been a lot of mistakes made by the administration. The same could be said for just about any administration I can remember. I also believe the media makes it a point to jump on any issues that paint the conservatives in a bad light, while glossing over issues that don't quite fit with their liberal agenda.
Steve

Bobbyrx
12-17-2006, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Don't bother posting to me in the future. I find your tactics sexist, ignorant, and generally speaking, of no intellectual value.

Thanks... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">So on this post you make fun of Laura Bush's dress among other things and then say the country is run by "the wealthy secret corporate fascists" but won't explain what the heck this means but I'm sexist and of no intellectual value. You sure can dish it out but how dare anyone respond.

</font color>

Gayle in MD
12-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Steve,
I guess you forgot the questions.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> So, what are you saying, Steve, that his numbers are low because of the media? It's the press's fault that nearly four fifths of the American Public think Bush is doing a piss poor job of directing this war? That Laura is right on the money, and we're really winning the war in Iraq, but the press is lying to us about that? That George Bush is doing a good job as president? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Also, I can't think of a single thing that has been reported by the liberal press that hasn't been confirmed by our own National Secuirty Intelligence Estimate, and by the bi-partisan Iraq Study Group. In fact, what has been reported all along, consistantly followed by a speedy denial, by the administration, has been confirmed, over and over, for the past three months, by the NSE, and the ISG.

For Laura Bush, to sit there and suggest that the poll numbers reflect the failure of the press to report the good news, is complete denial on your part. Sorry, but Iraq, according to both the liberal press, and the conservative press, is, and hs been a failed state, in a civil war, under rapidly increasing kaos, and likely to become more violent and kaotic regardless of what Bush's NEXT dumb mistake turns out to be.

None of this has anything at all to do with the liberal press, it has to do with George Bush's incompetence, the failure of congressional oversight, and the continuous lies and denial of this administration.

Gayle in Md.

Sid_Vicious
12-17-2006, 12:23 PM
If anything, we don't hear an accurate account of just how bad it really is in Iraq. Many, many conversations have occurred on NPR from people who has come from visits to Iraq, and the vast majority agree that the American public is being bridled from the true fact that it is, in their words "Much worse than we are being told." It is a pure joke to hear Mrs Head Nod stating her dummy is getting bad press and causing his numbers. We will break this army of somebody doesn't wake up and smell the BS...sid

Gayle in MD
12-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Sounds to me like it's already broken, Martin. They don't even have twenty thousand troops to send into Iraq. The only way they can get more troops into Baghdad, is by extending those guys who were about to leave, and sending others, back over before they were supposed to go back.

Here's what was so funny about what Laura was trying to spin. The whole time we fought the war in Vietnam, the greater part of the country was not involved. Trying to lie about the Kaos in Iraq, by referring to the areas which are not violent, as Laura did, has not a single thing to do with the civil war that is raging. Most occupations, historically, where there is the presence of a civil war, are fought in just three or four provinces. They still fail. Since 75% of the country is desert, pointing out the peaceful areas, is about as deceitful as trying to say we're not winning, but we're not losing, either. LMAO! How damn dumb do they thik we are?

It's like Cheney, saying that Rumsfeld is the best Secretary of Defence, ever! Now, that is really good, so does it follow, that George Bush is such a great leader, that he's decided to fire the best Secretary of Defence EVER, in the middle of the worst mess we've ever faced?

Bottom line, Bush lies, Laura swears to it. If she didn't, he'd fire her too! No wonder God punished her with two other ugly dresses just like hers at the Christmas Party!!!

How bout the time at some big dinner affair, Condi, was referring to Bush, and said, "My husb...." stopping herself, mid word? Hmmmm...what goes on at the ranch, and Camp David, anyway??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle...It's all the liberal press's fault.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

hondo
12-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Why make a big deal about the President's rating?
Because he's the PRESIDENT! Duh!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> The media is quick to point out when the confidence level of the American public is in the 30% range. How many have reported the latest poll results that also shows confidence levels lower than the President's when asked about lawyers, congress, advertising salesmen, used car salesmen.........and journalists!!!!!!

Fewer people think the media is honest than think GW is!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You won't find those poll results on MSNBC or CNN!

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
12-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Billions in military profits &amp; oil profits. So you don't
think wealthy secret , corporate facsists run this
country, huh? You must have been born yesterday in
Dumb F**k, Mississippi.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bobbyrx:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>

"the wealthy secret corporate fascists who run this country"

And this secret group started to run the country when?

And if they do (which is conspiracy theory lunacy) how has this war helped them and how has it helped Bush for that matter? <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
12-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Yeah, yeah, right. The difference is the thousands and
thousands of lives that have been lost do to this
administration's "mistakes". Or do these lives mean
nothing? For heaven's sake, THINK, man!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there have been a lot of mistakes made by the administration. The same could be said for just about any administration I can remember. I also believe the media makes it a point to jump on any issues that paint the conservatives in a bad light, while glossing over issues that don't quite fit with their liberal agenda.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
12-18-2006, 08:58 AM
"You won't find those poll results on MSNBC or CNN!"
You think I rely on those effete, commie, liberal stations to get my news? You think I want them to confuse me, sway my opinion with facts?
No Sir! ...I have "parental control" blocks on all them stations.....It's strictly Fox for me!!!!!

Qtec
12-18-2006, 09:13 AM
GW has a higher approval rating than [ QUOTE ]
used car salesmen <hr /></blockquote> LOL

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif......things are certainly looking up for GW.....LOL

eg8r
12-18-2006, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So on this post you make fun of Laura Bush's dress among other things and then say the country is run by "the wealthy secret corporate fascists" but won't explain what the heck this means but I'm sexist and of no intellectual value. You sure can dish it out but how dare anyone respond.
<hr /></blockquote> You hit the nail on the head.

eg8r

wolfdancer
12-18-2006, 10:13 AM
"GW has a higher approval rating than used car salesman"

Maybe so....but would you buy a used car from him???

wolfdancer
12-18-2006, 10:17 AM
You hit the nail on the head.....

S0Noma
12-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Is this anything like 'having an ax to grind'?

Gayle in MD
12-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Ah ha ha ha....thanks, I needed that...blah ha ha ha...

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bobbyrx
12-18-2006, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> Billions in military profits &amp; oil profits. So you don't
think wealthy secret , corporate facsists run this
country, huh? <font color="blue">Not anymore than I believe the Sierra Club ran the country prior to 2000. </font color> You must have been born yesterday in
Dumb F**k, Mississippi. <font color="blue">Yeah I was but I moved to Alabama because I didn't want to live in a town named after you </font color>