PDA

View Full Version : How do you rack in 9 ball?

07-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Can anyone tell me where the best place is to put the 2 ball
when I rack a game of 9 ball for my opponent to break? Where
do I put the 2 ball when I rack if I am breaking?

Thank you
Rich

PoolFan
07-19-2002, 09:03 AM
Racking for an opponent, I rack the two ball directly behind the nine ball. More ofen than not, the two will stay down table as the one ball goes up table. I also rack the three ball behind the one ball, often times the three will also go up table. This makes your opponent have to go up and down table for the first couple of shots.

Racking for yourself, rack the one, two and three at the head of the rack and the four ball at the opposite end. This gives you a good chance of having the first four balls up table.

Best thing to do is have a normal sequence on your racking. Watch your opponent's break and if you see that balls consistly end up in the same place, rack accordingly to make your opponent move the cue ball a lot during the beginning of the rack.

Good luck,
PoolFan

07-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Many thanks PoolFan!

Rich

07-19-2002, 11:41 AM
if your opponent is breaking from thr right side then put the 2 behind the nine on the opposite side.. the 2 will alot of the time bank of the side rail and stay to the lower side of the table.... put the 3 to the opposite side as well but next to the nine and put the 4 at the bottom.... I cant remember exactly what the reasoning for the three is but the 4 gets tihe most energy and goes up and down table alot of the time... this is what John Horsefall told me

07-21-2002, 03:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Can anyone tell me where the best place is to put the 2 ball
when I rack a game of 9 ball for my opponent to break? Where
do I put the 2 ball when I rack if I am breaking?

Thank you
Rich <hr></blockquote>

The break is the most important shot in nine ball(other than sinking the 9 of course) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif .If both players are of a high level it's usually the difference in winning and losing.

Downtown and Poolfans' response I think are pretty much right on.

I'd like to add that any side cushion break the 1 ball generally goes to the head of the table.Therefore if I was breaking from the side cushion(my normal position)I'd like the 2 ball to come back down table as well.The best chance of this is like the others said behind the one ball opposite the side you are breaking.The back ball always has alot of power also and will get down table unless kissed out(maybe the 3 ball po?).

If my opponent is breaking from the side cushion,rack the 2 ball behind the one ball on the same side as the breaking position or put it in the row behind the nine.

If you or your opponent break from center table it's more of a crap shoot.The 1 ball then will have a tendency to stay around the rack area unless kissed out and the back ball will still have to tendency to go to the head of the table unless kissed.

In short,my experiences with 9ball racking tells me that it's easier to guess ball positions after the break from the side rail spot more so than head on.Rack them different ways and take notice of where the balls end up.This awareness helps you stay focused and more into the game at hand as well.Just my opinions.BS