PDA

View Full Version : Perishable skills

dutchboy
12-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Been playing straight pool about a year now, here’s what I’m running up against…what do you do when you gain one skill {seemingly} and at the same time lose another? One day I’ve got great position skills and I miss shots I’d never miss when just practicing…other days, CAN’T miss a shot and position play goes out the window…play great patterns and can’t fall on the break shot…some days two out of three are good, then there’s rare moments when it all comes together for two or three racks… MAN! What a game this is! It is really the only game I feel I should play right now…
So, when the hell does this all come together? Look, I know you can’t play great everyday…I’ve got enough straight pool tapes to know that everybody misses, gets out of line etc: but I haven’t got past falling on three break shots…
I’m an arduous student…
Is this normal progression?

Sid_Vicious
12-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I am fairly certain that everyone except a very small percentile has to live with this dillema, except for maybe those players who do it for a living. I personally have days where one of my weakness(s) is my strength, but a fundamental somewhere else trades off and I average out to about the same overall talent. I frankly don't know what it is my friend, because when the one facet comes so easy, you'd think that the zone was happening and that all of your game would be stellar. Yes that happens perfect(the zone), but I can't remember the last time I had mine, except for the mini-zones as you described. "It is what it is" as they say, and we live with it, but then there are those who will advise taking the weakness of the day, and practicing that flaw for 5000 shots. I ain't gonna do that, life is far too short...sid

Stretch
12-16-2006, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dutchboy:</font><hr> Been playing straight pool about a year now, here’s what I’m running up against…what do you do when you gain one skill {seemingly} and at the same time lose another? One day I’ve got great position skills and I miss shots I’d never miss when just practicing…other days, CAN’T miss a shot and position play goes out the window…play great patterns and can’t fall on the break shot…some days two out of three are good, then there’s rare moments when it all comes together for two or three racks… MAN! What a game this is! It is really the only game I feel I should play right now…
So, when the hell does this all come together? Look, I know you can’t play great everyday…I’ve got enough straight pool tapes to know that everybody misses, gets out of line etc: but I haven’t got past falling on three break shots…
I’m an arduous student…
Is this normal progression?
<hr /></blockquote>

Recognize and adjust. You already got half of the problem solved simply by recognizing it. Winning pool involves many different skill sets. Offence , defence, long game, short game, banks, combinations, pattern play, mental toughness etc. It's not unusual for anyone to be killer in a few area's and shaky in others. Your game plan must include going with what you have that day. For instance if your not hitting banks on this table that day (tables varie, it may not even be you) then obviously you need to go with cut shots or safeties. It's like in golf, if the driver is getting you in trouble, leave it in the bag! Same with pool. Understand that some facets of the game will come and go. A smart competitor will tailor thier game to what is working for them in any given situation. Know thyself!