PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a magazine and/or online forum

dhammis
12-15-2006, 03:38 PM
I, like a lot of dedicated players, watch a lot of pool on TV. I love to watch the pros break a rack, then I pause it (DVR's are wonderful) and determine how I would run the rack if I were playing. Probably 70-80% of the time the pro runs it as I would plan to(if I had the skill of course). I sometimes can duplicate the racks on my table or one out at a hall and say "wow, that was easy."

Sometimes though, things aren't so easy. If the balls break badly and you're faced with a lot of clusters, trouble balls, tough shots, kicks, caroms, etc your game can grind to a halt while you make many attempts to run out.

One reason for this is playing conditions between the pros and the leaguers are different. The pros are on 9 ft tables with Simonis and Aramith balls. The leaguers are typically on 7 ft bar tables with cloth that has been spilled on, balls that have chips and that dumb mudball for the coin-ops to work right. Pros are usually playing 9-ball too, which allows for less clustering, while the majority of leagues are 8-ball.

To make a long post short, (too late), I propose a column in Billiard's Digest or a forum somewhere called "Run This Rack" where people could submit photos or drawings of a rack they faced and have a pro (Mike Sigel maybe?) demonstrate how to run it, or if he couldn't run it, give some options for safety play, etc.

Thoughts?

--D

Tom_In_Cincy
12-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Been there, done that, faded away in 2004

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/runthisrack/

jjinfla
12-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Gee Tom has it really been that long since "How would you run this rack" was in the magazine?

Jake

Sig
12-15-2006, 06:41 PM
That looks like a good column. Are there any books that take this approach? I have Capelle's Play Your Best Pool, he gives a lot of scenarios, but usually not more than a few shots in a row.

Bob_Jewett
12-15-2006, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sig:</font><hr> That looks like a good column. Are there any books that take this approach? I have Capelle's Play Your Best Pool, he gives a lot of scenarios, but usually not more than a few shots in a row. <hr /></blockquote>
I agree that the idea in general is interesting, but there are problems with the particular column shown. For example, I think it is a mistake to play for 2-rail position from the 2 to the 3 when 1-rail position is far more likely to occur. Also the 4-5-6 sequence is very unlikely to go well, especially if the cue ball is played that close to the 5. It would be much better to get on the other side of the 4 and come one rail towards the line of the 5 shot.

George Fels has a whole book of these positions, but George has better patterns than the reader example above. Also, Eddie Robin's books on one pocket have 1-shot diagrams.

The problem with a lot of such exercises is that what you do on a shot is often determined by how well you executed the previous shot. A full study would require analyzing several lines of play as they do with chess, sometimes.

DickLeonard
12-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Tom in Cincy nice to see your back posting on the board. Funny thing just about everything has been thought of.####

DickLeonard
12-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Bob Jewett All good players know that once you get off line on position it changes what you had planned. So in a nineball run the number of options escaletes. We need a Mathematician to figure the number of options.####

Billy_Bob
12-16-2006, 10:40 AM
You can do that here. Use cuetable to diagram where the balls are and ask people on this forum how they would run it. There are some *very* good players here.

I need to start diagraming some of the "messes" I have seen on bar tables. Looks totally like no one on earth could run it. But I ask myself what one of the top pros would do. Would they be able to run one of these nasty layouts? Or shots I have been left with. I wonder how anyone could possibly shoot the shot and get position on their next ball...

Cuetable...
http://cuetable.com/P/index.html

wolfdancer
12-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Dick, in math, there is a term known as a Markov Chain, and an example of this is a "Drunkard's Walk"
He's trying to find his way home, down a long street with six intersections. his home is located at intersection 1 and the bar at intersection 6. At each intersection other then his home or the bar, he moves in the direction of the bar with a probability of 2/3, and in the direction of his home with a probability of 1/3. I won't bore you with the math, or the matrix table( and I don't understand it anyway) ..but with a similar scenario in pool, 6 pockets to choose from....the drunk has a greater chance of arriving at the bar, than getting home...the pool player a greater chance of getting stuck, than arriving at the "game" ball.
Both examples call for another drink, however.

asd
12-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys. You are putting a lots of energy to this site. I will switch (http://www.you-switch.org) to your site as it will save me bills.