PDA

View Full Version : Curve shots

InDepther
12-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi all.

I was wondering what type of cue is best for curve shots. Your normal playing cue or your J&B cue? A cue with a small or big tip? Hard or soft?

Billy_Bob
12-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Any regular cue with a good tip and chalked well should do fine for a softer curve shot.

But if you are shooting a very hard curve shot (masse'), then you could break the shaft on a regular cue (especially pro taper and low deflection shafts). For these shots a masse' cue is made. Sold here...
http://schulercue.com/products/accessories.htm

InDepther
12-16-2006, 12:38 PM
thanks for the info.

I was actually referring to masse' shots. I got the impression that a break cue, could be better than your regular for these type of shots.

Stretch
12-16-2006, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote InDepther:</font><hr> thanks for the info.

I was actually referring to masse' shots. I got the impression that a break cue, could be better than your regular for these type of shots.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes indepth i agree with you your break cue is probably a better choice for masse or swerves if for no other reason than it is rather hard on a cue. Like another poster pointed out, there are special Masse cue's you can buy that do an awesome job. They are heavey,like in the 280z. and up with a very stiff shaft straight taper and short for easy handling. they can do amazing things. So if you could borrow these attributes for a spare cue ie, heavy, short and straight taper, i think you'd have a great massee cue. St.

1hit1der
12-16-2006, 05:41 PM
One issue with using a break cue is the tip may be too hard. You won't be able to chalk it and you won't be able to apply enough spin to the cue ball to masse. As for a masse cue, like Stretch said, heavy, short, and stiff tends to be the consensus. However, the cue doesn't masse for you. I've got some good masses with my regular 19oz cue. I've seen Jamison Neu do some wicked stuff too with a regular cue. Some of the other artistic players only use 19 - 21 oz masse cues. Mine's 24oz. I think the shorter length is mostly for balance and control. The tendency is to grip further up than normal on the cue, which could leave a lot of weight behind your grip hand in the air and this is more difficult to control.