PDA

View Full Version : (Iraqi) Mortality after the 2003 invasion of Iraq

S0Noma
12-17-2006, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Findings Three misattributed clusters were excluded from the final analysis; data from 1849 households that contained 12 801 individuals in 47 clusters was gathered. 1474 births and 629 deaths were reported during the observation period.

Pre-invasion mortality rates were 55 per 1000 people per year (95% CI 4371), compared with 133 per 1000 people per year (109161) in the 40 months post-invasion. We estimate that as of July, 2006, there have been 654 965 (excess Iraqi deaths as a consequence of the war, which corresponds to 25% of the population in the study area. Of post-invasion deaths, 601 027 were due to violence, the most common cause being gunfire.

Interpretation The number of people dying in Iraq has continued to escalate. The proportion of deaths ascribed to coalition forces has diminished in 2006, although the actual numbers have increased every year. Gunfire remains the most common cause of death, although deaths from car bombing have increased. <hr /></blockquote>
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5476/iraqvs1.jpg

web page (http://www.thelancet.com/webfiles/images/journals/lancet/s0140673606694919.pdf)

hondo
12-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Okay, we've made some mistakes. Maybe a FEW people
died needlessly. Get over it. We're fighting the
good fight over there, hoss.
Did you forget the Clinton had ORAL SEX while in
office? That's MUCH WORSE than a half million A- Rabs
getting killed.
I'd rather fight em over there than over here.
Now granted, maybe none of them had nothing to do
with 9/11 but, hey, they're all mooslums. Get what
I mean, Vern?

S0Noma
12-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I couldn't agree more my Japanese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo%2C_Kumamoto) friend. I believe firmly in the 'out of sight - out of mind' approach to these things. If it's not happening in MY neighborhood, I'm not going to worry about it.

If more good Americans felt the same way as me, we wouldn't be listening to this 'cut and run' crap that the liberal media is shoving down our throats. My only regret is that Bush can't run for a third term.

Thanks for sharing your point of view. Sometimes it helps to hear what outsiders think of what's going on in this country because we Americans can't see the forest for the trees.

Gayle in MD
12-18-2006, 12:16 PM
If you would like to hear Zbigniew Brzezinski's version of America's present global circumstances, aka, results of Bush's war/Iraq/terrorism/National Security...

You'l find Madeline Albright's link there also.

www.charlierose.com (http://www.charlierose.com)

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
12-18-2006, 12:26 PM
He can run, but he can't hide....I think there is a loophole that will allow him to seek another term. All he has to do is admit he wasn't legally elected, to the second term, thus nullifying it. It would be legally like no one was in charge for the last 2 years....sort of like a store window display...where they dress up a dummy.....

hondo
12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Actually, I'm half Japanese and half Irish.
My real name is Tanaka O'Shaughnessy.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> I couldn't agree more my Japanese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo%2C_Kumamoto) friend. I believe firmly in the 'out of sight - out of mind' approach to these things. If it's not happening in MY neighborhood, I'm not going to worry about it.

If more good Americans felt the same way as me, we wouldn't be listening to this 'cut and run' crap that the liberal media is shoving down our throats. My only regret is that Bush can't run for a third term.

Thanks for sharing your point of view. Sometimes it helps to hear what outsiders think of what's going on in this country because we Americans can't see the forest for the trees.
<hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Did you forget the Clinton had ORAL SEX while in
office? That's MUCH WORSE than a half million A- Rabs
getting killed.
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, but, lying about the dead Arabs, and lying about the sex, one is as bad as the other you know...a lie, is a lie...intent and results, don't factor into these things, at all!

I mean, it's easily explainable, that the only reason why Bush has continued to lie about the fatalities, is, well, he had to, see, because he couldn't take the chance that if we knew the truth, we might put a stop to all the killing. So, well, when you look at it that way, it's no worse than when Clinton lied...

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hondo
12-18-2006, 01:01 PM
I compare Bush more to Monica than Bill.
Both blew it in my opinion.

nAz
12-18-2006, 01:18 PM
One in 40 Iraqis 'killed since invasion'
The death toll in Iraq following the US-led invasion has topped 655,000 - one in 40 of the entire population - according to a major piece of research in one of the world's leading medical journals.

The study, produced by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore and published online by the Lancet, claims the total number of deaths is more than 10 times greater than any previously compiled estimate.

The findings provoked an immediate political storm. Within hours of its release, George Bush had dismissed the figures. "I don't consider it a credible report," he told reporters at the White House. "Neither does General Casey [the top US officer in Iraq], neither do Iraqi officials."

But the US researchers have the backing of four separate independent experts who reviewed the new paper for the Lancet. All urged publication. One spoke of the "powerful strength" of the research methods, which involved house-to-house surveys by teams of doctors across Iraq.

Nearly a third of the deaths (31%) were ascribed to the coalition forces. Most of the deaths - 601,000 out of 655,000 - were due to violence and of those, 56% were caused by gunshot wounds. Air strikes, car bombs and other explosions accounted for a further 13-14%.

The authors say their discovery that the death rate in Iraq has more than doubled from 5.5 per 1,000 a year before the invasion to 13.3 per 1,000 a year since "constitutes a humanitarian emergency".

S0Noma
12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
I hear the Smithsonian has put together a commemorative exhibit so that we'll never forget:

http://www.creativethriftshop.com/PelicanPortal/JTTP%20Artist/PeterCaine/images/Great%20Seaman%20Samples.jpg