PDA

View Full Version : Terrible news from Cardiff

07-19-2002, 07:36 AM
Francisco Bustamante's 6-month old daughter died last night in the Phillipines.

My deepest condolences go out to Francisco and his family. May all the rolls go his way.

J--

Kato
07-19-2002, 08:11 AM
First of all this is terrible news but from your post Jason I'm gathering Fransisco is staying in Cardiff?

Kato

07-19-2002, 08:15 AM
From what I read on worldpoolchampionships.com, it is still up in the air as to whether he will continue to participate. No decision has been made. If he does, I sincerely hope he wins. Not that it would be any condolence for his loss.

Chris Cass
07-19-2002, 08:15 AM
OH MY GOD,
This is tragic news. I feel so bad for his wife and family. Our prayers go out to them. I remember how we felt everytime we looked at our son at that age and still do. They're hearts are broken, I'm sure. This is very sad news.

C.C.

stickman
07-19-2002, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> First of all this is terrible news but from your post Jason I'm gathering Fransisco is staying in Cardiff?

Kato <hr></blockquote>

This is very sad news. My heart and my prayers go out to him and his family. I realize this is his profession, but I would be very surprised if he were able to continue. I know I couldn't. I would have to be with my wife. There will be other tournaments.

MikeM
07-19-2002, 09:34 AM
I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, especially one so young. Just reading this news made my heart ache. I hope Busty can find the strength to recover form this terrible blow.

MM

Kato
07-19-2002, 10:01 AM
I agree with ya Stick. Whatever he does will be the right thing in his heart I'm sure. I'll pray for his family.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2002, 10:02 AM
That's very sad. Bustamante seems like a nice fellow.

You have to keep things in perspective. Speaking of which:

Cincinnati Reds opening day 1997. It snowed that morning. After they cleared the snow off the field and started the game umpire "Big John" McSherrey collapsed and died at home plate. Marge Schott was overheard to say "Honey this just isn't my day. First the snow and now this" True story. That lady's a fruitcake.

07-19-2002, 02:08 PM
He's a very nice guy, Wally. I remember two years ago at the Riviera in Vegas, I was sitting at the counter in the restaurant at 3AM finishing up a late dinner when Buste walked in, sat next to me, grabbed the check out of my hand and stuck it in his pocket. We only knew each other just to say hello at the time. That small gesture really floored me.

I'm truly sorry for his loss. I can't imagine what he must be going through right about now.

A similar thing happened to Earl Strickland at the ESPN tournament in Orlando. We were all there when he got word that his mother was in a car crash and wasn't expected to live. He couldn't get a flight out until the next morning, so he sat at the autograph booth and signed autographs. A few people asked him, why didn't he just go back to his room and he said he had promised several people he'd be at the booth to sign autographs and he wanted to keep the appointment. He also played a match that evening. I forgot whether he won or lost. His mom passed away the next day.

Fran

07-19-2002, 02:14 PM
When everyone talks about Earl and how he misbehaves, which is true...I can't join in the discussion because I still see his face smiling at the fans with unbelieveable pain in his eyes that evening in Orlando. None of the fans ever detected what he was feeling and what he was about to face. It was an amazing display of guts and fortitude.

Fran

cuechick
07-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Wow Fran those two stories brought tears to my eyes. I think we forget sometimes that these are all real people with families, hopes, dreams and heartbreak. I just read Busta's interview and though he was clearly torn, I understand and respect his decision to stay.
I do not think we here in America have any idea of what Billiards means to the people of his country.
He says no one even sleeps they just watch...we can only imagine such a passion among the masses!
I also think sometimes the best therapy is to loose yourself in what you know best. I will be very happy for him if he wins, though I know it will be a small conselation for his loss.

JoePickens
07-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Yep, and she also said, "Why does everything happen to me?"
Fruit-of-the-Loom indeed.

But she did some good things for the Reds:
1) She brought back Pete Rose, well maybe that wasn't so good since he ended up getting banned.

2) She didn't hire Davy Johnson back because he had a live-in girlfriend. Actually, what was so good about that?

3) She offered Lou Pinella a paltry increase after winning the World Series in 1990 that he got mad and left. Well, I guess that wasn't good either.

Come to think of it just what the heck did she do anyway?

Harold Acosta
07-19-2002, 05:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JasonG NYC:</font><hr> Francisco Bustamante's 6-month old daughter died last night in the Phillipines.

My deepest condolences go out to Francisco and his family. May all the rolls go his way.

J-- <hr></blockquote>

Our most sincere heartfelt condolences goes to Francisco Bustamante and his family for this most terrible loss. Francisco has been a great ambassador of the sport and has visited Puerto Rico on several occasions to promote some of our Tournaments and to put up exhibitions with Reyes, and other Phillipine players.

I have conveyed this sad news to our players and fans in Puerto Rico, and we all have him in our prayers. We also hope that Francisco continues exhibiting his strenghts and courage throughout the remaining of the tournament.

Cueless Joey
07-19-2002, 05:43 PM
My prayers are with Busta and his daughter. I met Busta and Lebron last year at the LA Expo. We had a midnight dinner after the event. Busta is one nice guy.
Go Django!

Voodoo Daddy
07-19-2002, 06:21 PM
Very sad news to wake up to. I will pray for his family. I remember I was at the now-defunct Florida Flare-up and I wass in the bathroom. I heard what sounded like crying but payed no attention. Out of the stall came Efren...I asked him what was wrong he said he just got news that his father had died. He had just been beat by David Howard and then he got the news. He was asked what his plans were then. He said "Win tournament, then go home"...he did just that. True to championship form he beat everyone from the one loss side to take the tournament off, then flew home.