PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Please!

urbecrisch
12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
I want to buy a used pool table from a family friend who inherited the table and knows nothing about disassembly. It is a Fischer Empire VII 7' table. It is in very good condition (structure, felt, etc.). I want to disassemble the table myself cause I don't have the funds to have it professionally done (was quoted around $550). I'm pretty handy and by the looks of it I can just unbolt the top of the table. If it's 1 piece marble/slate, can I haul it out with a few guys? When I take the top off will the rails come off as well? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into with disassembly. I think if I take it apart and label all the pieces I should be able to set it up properly. Any advise/comments would be appreciated. Thanks for reading my post.

Billy_Bob
12-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't know anything about your specific table, how it comes apart, etc.

But my 7 ft. table has a one piece slate which weighs 300 pounds and the table weighs 300 pounds for a total of 600 pounds.

Two guys can move just the slate or just the table a short distance. For longer distances it helps to have a "dolly" or 3 or 4 guys. Buy them some beer and you will have plenty of "volunteers"!

wolfdancer
12-18-2006, 11:59 AM
If you knew how to handle slate, you could do it with just one other person. As BB says though, no problem with 3 or 4 guys....EXCEPT this one....be very careful that someone's fingers don't get caught between the table bed and the slate....
Marking the pieces is a good idea...that's what the mechanics do.
The real "trick" to putting the table back together is in leveling both the slate and the table. Make a note of where any shims are now,under the slate...
Take your time, be careful handling the slate...and you should be able to get the job done...

mantis
12-18-2006, 07:31 PM
My table is an 8' foot table, but the slate is 750 pounds, so I supposse it depends on the thickness of the slate how heavy it will be. I would think 300 pounds would be on the lighter side, even for a 7' table. Also, a friend of mine just had a table taken down, moved, and out back together for $250. I would call around to find out if there are better prices out there. Maybe it is the area youlive in, but while $250 is definately cheap, $550 seems a little high. Good luck.

urbecrisch
12-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Do the side rails come off seperately (into 4 pieces) or after the slate is removed the table looks like a giant picture frame? If the side rails don't come off, I'm curious how the original owner got it down the steps since ther is a tricky corner at the top of the steps. Tell me if I'm right: The slate with felt is removed, then there are 4 side rails, and then two support legs? Does the table itself come apart in two? If it would help I can email a picture of the table. Thanks for helping me out.

Cane
12-19-2006, 07:18 AM
email a pic of the table to rlnunley@hughes.net. I'm thinking it disassembles just like a Valley, but can't remember for sure. Seeing the table may spark a memory bank to come alive. I've moved a few Fishers... one of them was my worst nightmare. An 8' coin op, one piece slate. But... the 7 foot table shouldn't be much problem.

Bob

malacesa
06-13-2007, 07:52 PM
I just disassembled my parents Empire VII and moved it from Michigan to Alabama. The process was completely easy with the top rail and bumbers coming off as one piece. The marble top is seperate from the playing field but it is extremely heavy and delicate.

Looking for any information on the history of these pool tables since I cannot find anything on the internet. When I disassembled the pool table I came across the original factory invoice stating what came with the set and the inspectors name. Date on pool table is June 1966.

Any help would be appreciated.

BigRigTom
06-13-2007, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote malacesa:</font><hr> I just disassembled my parents Empire VII and moved it from Michigan to Alabama. The process was completely easy with the top rail and bumbers coming off as one piece. The marble top is seperate from the playing field but it is extremely heavy and delicate.

Looking for any information on the history of these pool tables since I cannot find anything on the internet. When I disassembled the pool table I came across the original factory invoice stating what came with the set and the inspectors name. Date on pool table is June 1966.

Any help would be appreciated.
<hr /></blockquote>

If you have the factory invoice.....doesn't it have Company name and address on it?
Maybe that would be useful to anyone looking to track down info on the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Catch22 here. I moved two personal tables myself, set them up and played ok imo at the time. Later when I had it refelted and properly leveled and tightened, it played like a Cadallac. If it were me and I could wrangle new cloth and the move for say $400-450, I wouldn't hesitate to let them do it. You will pay 300 or so later for the cloth recover anyway, so except for the cash, I'd get out of the job the second time. Depends a lot on how you want to use the table. Are you getting it for recreation with casual friends, or do you want a perfect(as can be) setup? $550 is high unless you have an extreme distance or upstairs location. Was new cloth part of the move? jm2c sid