PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Climbers?

Deeman3
12-18-2006, 01:05 PM
It may be sad to see the deaths occuring on Mt. Hood but it is mindful of the ones who have died trying to go up Everest. They put themselves in a very dangerous situation and now someone spends millions trying to find them. It's not like the guy who took a wrong turn, he at least was going someplace.

They say that now "hundreds" gather each May to climb Everest and the resulting amature crush is causing more and more to die. I would have thought everyone got the memo that Sir Edmond Hillary and the Norgay Sherpa did this in 1953 or so. It's not like these people are not risking it all to be the 1,900th person to climb the world's tallest peak! I mean, if they, like carried a refrigerator on their back or moonwalked up, it would at least be some sort of record. Do I just not get the thrill here. I did a little climbing in Colorado in the 1970's but it was for finess and not to get to the top of Mt.Elbert and say, "Wow, someone already beat me here!" Everest can't be for fitness as most of them at least lose fingers or toes. One guy said he'd never go again after his crew lost 8 people. He said, "You wanna climb Everest, call me."

Along these same lines, a guy from Ohio was found this weekend with his pet 13 foot snake wrapped around his neck, he was dead. I am sure someone will say, "We just can't fingure out what happened, he had this deadly massive constrictor snake and, surprise, it choaked him to death. Who would have figured?"

Tradegy might be better defined as some poor smuck who had a comet fragment fall on him. I have a little less sympathy for those who challenge death just for vanity's sake, lose and get morned for.

Should these people be added to the Darwin Awards or be celebrated?

DeeMan

nAz
12-18-2006, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

I feel the same about people that go hunting for sport and get shot or die of exposure.

or people that go hunting with Dick Chenny /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman3
12-18-2006, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

I feel the same about people that go hunting for sport and get shot or die of exposure.

or people that go hunting with Dick Chenny /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yes, I used to hunt many years ago but decided I like photographing them better than cleaning them. It would seem however, that the risk of hunting, unless you are going into the deep jungle, would be considerably less than in climbing above the "Death Zone", probably so-named because people can't live there. It would seem reasonable that a person hunting have to carry the expense of his/her own rescue.

At least on Everest, they just leacve the bodies so there's not much cost in the cases above 8,000 meters. </font color>

DeeMan

DickLeonard
12-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Deeman the Republican in me says if you gon't go climbing with your On Star unit Hos Sta Lavista Baby. We'll find you in the Spring Baby.####

Deeman3
12-19-2006, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Deeman the Republican in me says if you gon't go climbing with your On Star unit Hos Sta Lavista Baby. We'll find you in the Spring Baby.#### <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dick,

I completely agree. If a guy can afford to climb mountains all over the world, he could sure afford a GPS, a "can you hear me now" world cell phone and bottle of Scotch just in case the others fail.

I don't think we have to fear losing too many democrats or republicans in these mountain climbing "accidents". There ain't no oil nor votes at the top of those hills....

DeeMan

wolfdancer
12-19-2006, 08:28 AM
The search for the Mt. Hood Climbers has been the #1 local story here. In today's paper, "Climber James passed away doing something he loved. He felt closer to God on a mountaintop."
I don't know if a mountaintop puts you any nearer to God, but a mountaintop in a storm, puts you on a fast track to see your maker.
It's sad really, he was a very experienced climber..Europe,South America, Alaska....yet they knew a storm was coming, and went up there anyway. He was a father of four, ages 12 to 25.
Having a Boa Constrictor for a pet, puts you very close to God, only seconds away. you see the thing as a pet....it sees you as a meal.

wolfdancer
12-19-2006, 08:32 AM
You mean besides the usual hazards of mountain climbing, you have to step gingerly over the dead bodies?

Deeman3
12-19-2006, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> You mean besides the usual hazards of mountain climbing, you have to step gingerly over the dead bodies? <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">
Exactly! </font color>

DeeMan

wolfdancer
12-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Maybe mountain climbing is an acceptable risk....
because while during their ascent....... many are stalled,
but few are frozen