PDA

View Full Version : How do I shoot with this shaft?

PoolFool
07-19-2002, 08:14 AM
Ok, after reading all of the post on Predator, I bought a shaft to replace my 12.5mm McDermott. (the same day I installed a Hercules M tip with a dime radius shape). My game is way down. I'm missing long cuts that I would make 9 out of 10. I'm not getting the draw I use to get unless I elevate the butt. Last night I used inside (Rt.) english on a corner pocket shot to come back down the table on the same side and the cue ball went to the left off the rail. Any suggestions on how to learn to shoot with this thing?

PoolFool

Chris Cass
07-19-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi PF,

It's hard to shake the news of Busty's loss after reading it. Well, your going to have to first get used to using ctr ball hits. A little bit less english goes a long way with the 314. You'll simple have to play with it. That's the best I can say. I believe Joey shoots with one. I also know Kato shoots with one too.

Regards,

C.C.

Kato
07-19-2002, 11:10 AM
hi ya PF

You really have to allow for 4-6 weeks to get used to that shaft. I believe it is akin to starting over. Good luck, keep the faith.

Kato

griffith_d
07-19-2002, 11:48 AM
I just back from lunch and tried playing with the BK I just bought,..man talk about some english. You do not need much,..what does that tell you,...you can apply more than you could before.

I was sinking balls right and left, full length,..no problem. But the BK has a very hard Tiger tip and you would have to be careful applying too much english. I mis-cued once and I felt I really did not put much on it.

I think I may get a 314 for my playing stick, we shall see.

Griff

SpiderMan
07-19-2002, 01:48 PM
You have to adjust your compensation when playing side english. You've probably noticed that your center-ball shots are still going in like they should. You've probably also noticed that you're over-cutting shots when you apply a little outside english. Get used to not using as much aim compensation when applying side english.

SpiderMan

Rod
07-19-2002, 02:39 PM
PF, keep in mind your playing with a larger shaft size. That alone takes a little compensation, not to mention the stifness of the shaft. Your tendacy is probably to hit the balls too fat, too much o/b ball. Changes take a little time but it does not effect center, high or low. Sometimes confidence drops and it can cause problems, like the need to elevate the butt for draw. Stick with the basics and stroke mechanic's. Give it a reasonable time for the change. If you play enough 2 weeks should be enough time. One shaft does not fit all. I'm sure it would be easy to sell. One post here about a predator gets numerous replys, they seem to be the end all shaft for many people.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-19-2002, 07:02 PM
PF,
Use you new tool in your practice drills. If you don't have any drills, then this might be a good time to start.

There should be shots in your playing experience that you know exactly where you need to aim and exactly where the cue ball will come to rest.

Use these shots with your new shaft and adjust untill you start making them and you become confident.

I always liked the way McDermott cues played..even the new ones.