PDA

View Full Version : Dern bifocals!

BadBob
12-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I've been wearing no-line bifocals for 10-15 years. I'm surprised I still have all my toes. LOL..

I can't shoot a long shot to save my life and believe the glasses are distorting my view. It seems there may be one spot I can look through that is OK, but if I don't have my head positioned just exactly right, then it doesn't much matter what I do.

Any advice as to the type of no line lenses I should get next? Or should I get a pair of non-bifocal glasses to shoot with?

slow_roller
12-18-2006, 04:20 PM
I've used progressive lenses on my everyday specs for almost as long as you, but chose just to have just a plain distance RX for my pool glasses (Decot hi-wyds). This was largely to save money, but also for fear of problems like you describe with progressives. With the distance RX I lose just a little sharpness at the close end, so I try to be extra careful about centering my tip on the cueball, etc., but most of the action is at least an arm-length away and pretty sharp, even with the distance RX. I have asked my eye doctor about an RX that is specifically for pool distances, but he was not too helpful, saying he thought my basic distance RX should be fine.

randyg
12-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Check ut the Pool Playing glasses from DeCot at:

www.poolschool.info (http://www.poolschool.info)

We sell about 200 a year....randyg

Rich R.
12-18-2006, 07:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BadBob:</font><hr> I can't shoot a long shot to save my life and believe the glasses are distorting my view. <hr /></blockquote>
A player, who is now in the Hall of Fame, told me years ago that ANY glasses distort your view. He said there is an optical shift between your eye and the lens of the glasses.
He also said that, if at all possible, don't use your glasses to shoot pool. Of course, that depends on just how good, or bad, you can see without your glasses. I'm fortunate. I get away with no glasses, although I also wear no-line bifocals for everything else.

If you can't do without your glasses, I highly recommend a pool dedicated pair of Decot glasses mention by some others. Have your doctor give you a lens prescription optimized for 2 to 12 feet.

av84fun
12-19-2006, 12:09 AM
I had the same issues you have. You might consider buyig a pair of VERY LARGE eyeglass frames and have your existing prescription inserted in lenses that fit that frame. You will find that the larger lenses permit the progressive correction to occupy a much larger area of the lens and will help your proble.

You may be able to find very large frames in the "Aviator" style but the largest I could find were in the women's section. Actually Karen Corr wears very large lenses and I suspect for exactly the same reason that I cite.

Good luck.
Jim

MrLucky
12-19-2006, 05:43 AM
I am also Bi-focal and I have tried over the years many different solutions I wear progressive lenses for everyday usage but can't play worth a damn with them I have been using Bausch and Laum (sp)Multi-Focal disposable contacts ! they are great /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ! I also tried the acuvue's but these B&amp;L's are overall much better across the entire table (I had some problems with the bottom rail clarity with the Acuvue's) ! the only downside is I live in Atlanta where they have not banned smoking in places that serve alcohol and after a few hours in the smoky environment I am reaching for my eye drops!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <font color="green"> If you have any questions feel free to PM me ! You, as I did will receive all types of advice from folks that aren't even Bi-Focal ! I spent a ton of money trying their suggestions and wish some one had told me about these contacts earlier ! Good Shooting ! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BillyJack
12-19-2006, 06:56 AM
I've been wearing progressive bifocals for about 7 years. When I took up pool again about a year ago, getting a clear picture on the the table was impossible. I noticed, when shopping for computer glasses, that they recommend trying about 1/2 of your normal magnification. My prescription is .75 progessing to 2.75 in the bottom of the lens. A pair of 1.75 drugstore reading glasses travels in my cue case. Just make sure the lenses cover any viewing angle at the table. I had to do a larger lense than my prescription glasses, and adjust the nosepads to raise them up. Very unscientific, but it only costs about $10 each to experiment. My doctor, who's not a player, said trial &amp; error was the best way to arrive at a good Rx for a specific distance, Hope this helps,
Bill

Cane
12-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I had lasik surgery a couple of years ago, and don't need glasses anymore, but before the surgery, I used HyWyd Decots and would HIGHLY recommend them. I did, however, not use my "normal" perscription. I asked my Eye Doc to write an intermediate vision perscription JUST for the pool playing glasses. Second best thing I ever did for my game...

Bob

Rod
12-19-2006, 10:02 AM
I'd suggest do not wear progressive lenses to play pool. As you experienced, a tad off with head position and the view is distorted. I have Decot but they wasn't the answer either. I just can not wear glasses except for reading etc, some can, some can't. I play with contacts and see great. I have a free trial pair of multifocus B&amp;L on the way. They may be better but some can not wear them either.

Trial and error, I'd say contacts.
Pro's - can see clear at a distance and it improves near vision.

Con's - Probably need eye drops because eyes may get dry. Remember there are better lenses to help with this issue.

Decot Pro's - see well to 10 ft or so, set for playing pool.

Con's - Can not see at a distance, plus you look like a dork. LOL I have an old new pair for sale cheap. ha ha

Do your homework.

Rod

Pizza Bob
12-20-2006, 08:29 AM
I, too, wear progressive bifocals and have for about the same amount of time that you have. av84fun makes a very good point about lens size - it will make "the" spot easier to find when down on the ball. If you decide to stick with progressives, by all means get Varilux and buy them from a reputable optometrist/optician. My boss got a pair from one of the "eyeglasses-in-an-hour" type places and had all kinds of trouble with them. I related this to my optician and he told me some real horror stories about multi-focal glasses from these sorts of places. Granted, he has a vested interest, but this guy is also a friend and knows I'd go nowhere else. Good luck with whatever you decide - FWIW, I have no problem shooting with my Varilux glasses - of course I shoot so poorly who could tell if it's the glasses.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

BadBob
12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
I'll get a new srcipt next month and some non-bifocal glasses just for shooting. My eyes don't change very much these days, so those glasses ought to be good for 2-5 years.

LOL, I guess I'll have to add a glasses pocket to my cue case.