PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic 1 pc tip/ferrel combo CARE

Tigerz12
12-19-2006, 01:03 AM
I just received a 1 piece tip/ferrel break/jump cue. What do you all recommend for care and maintanance??? Do you chalk or not...do you sand the tip or use a TipPick on it? Any other recommendations are GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!

Paul

Rich R.
12-19-2006, 04:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tigerz12:</font><hr> I just received a 1 piece tip/ferrel break/jump cue. What do you all recommend for care and maintanance??? Do you chalk or not...do you sand the tip or use a TipPick on it? Any other recommendations are GREATLY appreciated. THANKS! <hr /></blockquote>
You really don't need anything be chalk.

Cane
12-19-2006, 07:25 AM
I agree with Rich. I have never scuffed, shaped or screwed with my phenolic tip in any way. Just chalk it and go.

Bob

Rich R.
12-19-2006, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I agree with Rich. I have never scuffed, shaped or screwed with my phenolic tip in any way. Just chalk it and go. <hr /></blockquote>
I have to admit, I have tried using a tip-pik and a scuffer on a phenolic tip. However, the phenolic is so hard, I didn't see that it did any good and I gave up on those practices. I have only chalked since.

I will add, the phenolic doesn't hold chalk well and most gets knocked off with one use. Be sure to chalk before each and every use.

Cane
12-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Rich, I have two shafts for my JB. One is the normal Stinger shaft and the other is the "IPT Legal" shaft, which is LEATHER, but I don't know what the hell he's done to it, because it hits almost like phenolic. Anyways, I have used a tip pick on the IPT shaft and it will, with a little work, scuff up enough to hold chalk pretty well. Still, the full phenolic tip has forced a new good habit on me... chalk well every time I break! LOL

Later,
Bob

Sid_Vicious
12-19-2006, 09:19 AM
It-do-dat for me too Bob. If I hit center ball breaks and nothing else, I could adjust, and IMPO, should correct my stroke and control first. Too many subtleties(conscious and subconscious) in my stroke at break to chance not chalking every time, and it bleeds over into my other strokes. Basically though, as far as the care for a phenolic tip on a breaker...chalk will paint on a rock if desired. I don't f' with my tips except for chalk and maybe one followup shape after a period of play time following a new install.

If I were insistent on toching a phenolic tip at all, I'd simple manually finesse it with a quarter rounding shaper or cube, until it barely feels changed to the touch from before. A pic might suffice, but I won't know since I gave all that kinda stuff away long ago...sid