PDA

View Full Version : Sportsmanship

07-19-2002, 08:35 AM
I was just reading the article from the World Pool Championships website about Cory Deuel's sportsmanship. I wasn't there so I dont know exactly what was going on but apparently he lost his composure (something I've read about before) and started arguing with the referee and even had some heated exchanges with the fans. After he lost it was reported he thru his case and kicked a barrier and left.

Are there rules in place over sportsmanship? How strictly are they enforced?

I personally think Cory has the talent to be the best player in the World but it seems that time after time those who have the tremendous talent have crappy attitudes. Maybe when they are learning and going thru the ranks they need to be taught sportsmanship as well as the skills necessary to win. Learn how to lose gracefully.

Do any pool teachers out there work on sportsmanship with their students?

nmshooter

PoolFan
07-19-2002, 09:15 AM
The sign of a true champion is one who becomes a champion and then continues to be a champion.

Corey had a fantastic year, last year. Now, he expects to be the best and seems to have a difficult time dealing with losing. It's interesting to see that lately, his soft break is not really working for him like it did last year.

As for your question about sportsmanship rules, it depends on the rules used at this event, I believe it WPA rules. Some sportsmanship rules are well defined as to punishment and other are not.

I hate seeing this type of behavior, but it's now very common. Not only in pool, but in other sports to. We've allowed bad behavior and it spreads. I surely hope that the promoters of this event use this opportunity to make an example of Corey for future events.

Lester
07-19-2002, 09:20 AM
It's extremely hard to turn off "the drive, ambition, emotion and focus" that you have mustered for a match. Sometimes when things start "rolling wrong", the frustration can manifest itself into outbursts. No one likes to see this happen, but being number 1 can generate an inordinate amount of pressure. One learns from ones mistakes, or one makes the same mistakes over and over again. Corey will be better because of this. JMHO ****Lester****

Chris Cass
07-19-2002, 09:38 AM
Well,
It's not like, I haven't done it myself before. Not that I'm Corey's speed or anything. This will continue to happen till the events impose penalties, fines or both. The fans however do, ask Earl.

While reading the World Pool Championship' web site. I looked up Earl' bio. When asked what he thought about himself. He said he's the most mis-understood player. It was right. I sure can't understand it either? Earl should have been the first to be fined. IMO

Regards,

C.C.

07-19-2002, 09:41 AM

07-19-2002, 10:37 AM
It's a little long but I think it's worth the read:

"My father taught me the single hardest thing a professional athlete has to learn, which is how to lose gracefully. Dad convinced me very early in my involvement with sports that I had to accept the bad with the good; that, however much it hurts inside, you smile and keep a stiff upper lip; that you shake the hand of the man who's beaten you, and tell him congratulations, and mean it.

As I have tried to apply this to fellow competitors, so I've also applied it with the press. After all, it's not their fault that I've played poorly, and there's never been any doubt in my mind that I would never habe been able to play golf for a living without them. So, no matter my score, whenever I have been asked to go in the press room, I have gone, and whenever a group of writers or even a single writer has wanted to talk to me about a bad round, I have talked to them or him or her. I try in doing so to answer every question asked of me as fully and honestly as I can, and to give everyone, from well-known columnists, to novice reporters, as much time as needed, because, again, they have a job to do, and the only person responsible for my mistakes is me. As a result, writers have told me more than once that I'm a better interview in defeat than in victory, which is a compliment I am extremely proud of."

Jack Nicklaus...."MY STORY"

Fran ~~~ seems to me that parenting has a lot to do with this.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2002, 10:37 AM
The Brits are saying Corey must have taken lessons from Earl /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif. They REALLY don't like Earl over there. If Earl had played against and beaten Steve Davis he wouldn't have made it out of the arena alive /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

07-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Someone here once posted a great line, about a different player:

"He's a world champion... he should learn to lose like one."

I wish I could give proper credit, but it's not coming up in the Search Archives.

- Steve

07-19-2002, 10:50 AM

07-19-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks for sharing that quote Fran. Good write...sid

heater451
07-19-2002, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> . . ."the hardest thing to do in pool was to be a good loser". I have never forgotten that. <hr></blockquote>It's funny how people who try to be "the best at what they do", never consider how to be the 'best' loser.

Q-guy
07-19-2002, 12:50 PM
I have always felt that bad losers have a personalty flaw. They lack empathy for the other person. In competition only one can win. We have all won at one time or another and know the great feeling it was to win. We should know how the other players feels when they win. It is normal for them to be outwardly happy about winning and the loser has to understand it without acting out. Instead they are to caught up in their own selfish little world and feelings. Even to the extent as to try to spoil the victory for the other player. It is very childish behavior and there are no excuses for it. Saying they are high strung or are caught up in heat of the moment does not excuse it in the least. It is immature and childish.

SPetty
07-19-2002, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> While reading the World Pool Championship' web site. I looked up Earl' bio. When asked what he thought about himself. He said he's the most mis-understood player. <hr></blockquote>Hi Chris,

After you mentioned this, I moseyed on over to view the bios myself. Interestingly enough, Corey's description of himself is "A gentleman". It might be time to revisit that description!

Ross
07-19-2002, 03:12 PM
I've seen Corey play many times and he has always acted like a gentleman. No sharking, little complaining, he just plays his game. This is unusual behavior for him, I think, and I wonder if there isn't something else going on that is bothering him. I noticed that he didn't look quite right in his finals with Robles at the BCA tourney.
(Hope he's not messing with artificial help for his game!)

07-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Who's Jack Nicklaus, anyway; and what does this have to do with Earl Strickland?

Voodoo Daddy
07-19-2002, 06:37 PM
Cory, Earl, John McEnroe now TIGER WOODS? Today he was in his pre-shot routine and someone shot a picture. He turned around and said something; "Will you stop with the freakin' pictures already? You did it to me at the tee and now here!". He isnt playing as well as he liked to so he jumps on some brit snapping photos?...HAHAHAHAHA.

07-20-2002, 04:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Steve_Lipsky:</font><hr> Someone here once posted a great line, about a different player:

"He's a world champion... he should learn to lose like one."

I wish I could give proper credit, but it's not coming up in the Search Archives.

- Steve <hr></blockquote>

You have to learn how to lose before you learn how to win.BS

Vapros
07-20-2002, 09:36 AM
No smiles from the Tiger today. He has spent a ton of money since breakfast.