PDA

View Full Version : My aiming process.....

Duckie
12-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I'd like to throw out the way I aim just to get some feedback.

Hopefully I can explain it without the aid of a drawing. While back, I drew a circle to represent the object ball. I drew a line from one side of the circle that split the circle in half and continued a few inches past the other side of the circle. This I called OB direction of travel.

The next circle I drew was placed such that one side of it touched the OB circle where the OB direction of travel started. To me, this represented the contact point between the OB and cue ball. Oh yeah, both are the same size circles.

Now, on the circle that represents the cue ball, I drew a line threw it that was on top of the OB direction of travel line. To me, this was the cue ball aiming line.

So for a straight in shot, both lines point the same way and one is on top of the other.

Next, I would rotate the cue ball aiming line, say to the right x amount. The rotation being done at the center of the cue ball circle. What I noticed was that no matter what the angle of the cue ball aiming line was, the cue ball center was always the same distance and in the same spot from the cp of the object ball. This is all pure, meaning there is no consideration of english.

So, I have taken to seeing where to put the cue in front of the object ball more than trying to see the contact point where I need to hit it. For me it works. I try to see the OB direction of travel line starting from where the cue (ghost) ball center would be, and then just aim for that spot on the table. If I need to adjust for english or whatever, I just rotate that spot in the direction I need too.

Remember, I'm just one level above a ball banger, so be gentle......

dr_dave
12-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Duckie,

I think you just described the ideal ghost-ball aiming method. FYI, NV 3.1 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-1.htm) and NV 3.2 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-2.htm) demonstrate how to practice and use it at the table.

When using English, and when the OB is far from the pocket, and/or when the CB is far from the OB, and/or when the cue stick is elevated, adjustments need to be made for squirt, swerve, and throw.

Regards,
Dr. Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duckie:</font><hr> I'd like to throw out the way I aim just to get some feedback.

Hopefully I can explain it without the aid of a drawing. While back, I drew a circle to represent the object ball. I drew a line from one side of the circle that split the circle in half and continued a few inches past the other side of the circle. This I called OB direction of travel.

The next circle I drew was placed such that one side of it touched the OB circle where the OB direction of travel started. To me, this represented the contact point between the OB and cue ball. Oh yeah, both are the same size circles.

Now, on the circle that represents the cue ball, I drew a line threw it that was on top of the OB direction of travel line. To me, this was the cue ball aiming line.

So for a straight in shot, both lines point the same way and one is on top of the other.

Next, I would rotate the cue ball aiming line, say to the right x amount. The rotation being done at the center of the cue ball circle. What I noticed was that no matter what the angle of the cue ball aiming line was, the cue ball center was always the same distance and in the same spot from the cp of the object ball. This is all pure, meaning there is no consideration of english.

So, I have taken to seeing where to put the cue in front of the object ball more than trying to see the contact point where I need to hit it. For me it works. I try to see the OB direction of travel line starting from where the cue (ghost) ball center would be, and then just aim for that spot on the table. If I need to adjust for english or whatever, I just rotate that spot in the direction I need too.

Remember, I'm just one level above a ball banger, so be gentle......<hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
12-20-2006, 05:33 PM
"What I noticed was that no matter what the angle of the cue ball aiming line was, the cue ball center was always the same distance and in the same spot from the cp of the object ball."

Elaborate on this for me. Thanks...sid

Jal
12-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Your method, if I'm understanding it, seems indistinguishable from the standard ghostball technique, except you're visualizing circles on the bed of the table instead of three dimensional balls? At any rate, the geometry is sound and it does provides a good first approximation as to where to aim the cueball. If you pre-adjust the object ball travel line to account for throw, say to the edge of the pocket instead of its center as needs be, then your method gives the final cueball aim line when, as you say, no english is applied.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duckie:</font><hr>If I need to adjust for english or whatever, I just rotate that spot in the direction I need too.<hr /></blockquote>I can't say I understand this. Maybe others will or you might elaborate?

Jim

Duckie
12-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Take two balls and place them side by side, touching each other. Hold one in place and then roll the other one around it, keeping contact. The path of the ball being rotated is always the same distance from the contact point on the ball not moving. The path being where the rotated ball is rolling on the table.

Now, if there is only one contact point that will make the object ball, its gonna be the same distance and point from the contact point, no matter what the angle of the shot is.

Once again, this is pureist form. As mentioned, adjustements will be needed for actual play. What I use is the clock method. Once I see the "spot" if I'm using outside english, I move the spot, like the hand of a clock, for a more full hit and so on.

For whatever reason, this helps me see the shot.

FWIW, tonight I placed 5th in the 14.1 league I play in. I had to win two games tonight and they were not easy. By having a method that makes sense to me helped alot. I'm just sharing what works for me.

cushioncrawler
12-21-2006, 03:43 AM
madMac's method...
Iz it full ball, 3/4 ball, 1/2 ball or 1/4 ball (say 1/2 ball here nearnuff).
Ok, 1/2 ball -- Now, down on the shot -- a bit thinner looks better -- ok, a bit thinner.
Gee, i dont know, i missed one like this last week.
Gosh, if i miss this, my opponent will make a million.
Hell, everyone is looking, and my team-mates.
Duznt feel good, what will i do, shood i get up and start over.
No, i will look stupid if i get up and start over, especially if i miss by a mile -- no, better to shoot now.
Here goze -- its good -- no, it missed -- $hit.
Duznt matter -- i can play better than that really -- i will kill this guy next time -- luckyest guy i ever saw.

jjinfla
12-21-2006, 06:26 AM
fuu neee

But so true.

Jake

Stretch
12-21-2006, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> madMac's method...
Iz it full ball, 3/4 ball, 1/2 ball or 1/4 ball (say 1/2 ball here nearnuff).
Ok, 1/2 ball -- Now, down on the shot -- a bit thinner looks better -- ok, a bit thinner.
Gee, i dont know, i missed one like this last week.
Gosh, if i miss this, my opponent will make a million.
Hell, everyone is looking, and my team-mates.
Duznt feel good, what will i do, shood i get up and start over.
No, i will look stupid if i get up and start over, especially if i miss by a mile -- no, better to shoot now.
Here goze -- its good -- no, it missed -- $hit.
Duznt matter -- i can play better than that really -- i will kill this guy next time -- luckyest guy i ever saw.

[/quote

Two "sayings" for the price of one. Do all your thinking standing up. Then, if your going to miss, miss fast. St. &lt; still here's the voices but has made friends with them &gt;

dr_dave
12-21-2006, 10:35 AM
FYI, If you want descriptions of other aiming systems, see the links under "aiming" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave