PDA

View Full Version : probaby a dumb question

wade7
12-21-2006, 12:18 AM
I have purchased a used 7' Brunswick table. The table is probabaly 5 years old. Can the table be moved by taking just the legs off, resting on it's side and using a grand piano dolly for the transport? My inclination is not to do it because the slates could be damaged. Of course, the table is for our family's Christmas present and I can't get a real installer to tackle the job in the next few days. What could be the danger(s) moving the table in this manner. Thanks for any suggestions. Wade

pooltchr
12-21-2006, 05:58 AM
When you try to lift the top, there is a good possibility that the shifting sections of slate will chip along the seams. Take it apart and move each piece of slate by itself.
Steve

BigRigTom
12-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Wade, you may be able to get away with moving it the way you suggest if it is a 1-piece slate. Many 7' bar tables are 1 piece slate. I am not sure how you can determine this with out taking the cloth off which would defeat your purpose....maybe if you can see the bottom side of the slate from under the table.
If that slate is 3 pieces then the only smart way to move it is like Steve suggested...take it apart 1st. It is not hard to reassemble but you will need to have it recovered. Putting back the old cloth is just way too much trouble in my opinion. The foot spot is almost impossible to realign and make it look good. Good luck either way.

Sid_Vicious
12-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Here's a story for you. I bought a Brunswick 8', used, back in the mid 70' in North LR Arkansas, and we did exactly like you are asking, except we didn't have a piano dolly. My dad, a couple of friends and myself tipped it on it's side, disassembled the base leaving the top in tact, all grabbed something and horsed the thing outside. Then(my dad's improvising mind to thank)we centered it evenly upon an empty boat trailer, tied it down and hit interstate 40, and home 30 miles away. Set the thing up in my garage in reverse order, and none for the wear. Maybe that should tell us something about the solidity of a simple idea such as your and the piano lift. You'd have thought that a "boat ride" for 30 miles, including railroad tracks, would have shifted the slate for sure. We may have just gotten lucky, or elso my dad was just that good of an engineer in the supervision and securing process. Grand memories.

BTW, I thought it was a hoot sailing down the road dragging a shiney, green felted pool table at 70 miles an hour. The rest of the people had to think we were kooks!!!sid

bobsyphrit
12-30-2006, 12:15 AM
when i picked up my 7 ft bar box we removed the legs tiped it on the side on to a dolly till we got to the yard ,then the scary part because of the realy steep side ways slant of the yard we ended up flipping it end over end several times. do i sugest for any one to do this? hell no but we got lucky and a bar table in my opinion is build stronger to hold up to drunks that think they are one beer away from winning a tough man contest. bottem line take your time and dissassemble it, a new cloth is much cheeper then a broken slate and the visit to the doctor because you Will be sick seeing your nice new table trashed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Scott Lee
12-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but there is an 'ask the mechanic' column over on www.azbilliards.com. (http://www.azbilliards.com.) Click on 'forums', and then click on 'ask a mechanic'. This could get you a few solid answers from pros who do this for a living. I'd say, if you weren't moving it very far, and didn't have go down stairs, it would be okay to tip it, and use a dolly. You could also go to a pool bar, and perhaps borrow their "step-dolly" (lots of bars use these to move the tables out of the way, for dances, etc.). This is a very easy thing to use to move a pool table without taking it apart. Good luck!

Scott Lee