PDA

View Full Version : Equipment "Googanism"

07-19-2002, 08:53 AM
Googan(n)[also see equipment freak] -- an individual that expresses extreme interest in pool equipment. Usually a terrible player.

Googanistic rantings...

"Does a Lambros deflect less than a McWorter?"
"What is the pivot point of the Meucci red dot shaft"
"How do I clean(GOOGAN) my shaft?"
"Deflection does not exist with Ivory jointed cues"
"Who makes the highest points -- Capone or <insert never-before-heard-of cue maker here>?
"Which is best on a Predator shaft? a morri medium or medium hard"
"What is the finger refief of your shaft" -- FYI.. I have no idea what this means. It was uttered to a friend by a very strong Googan."

Pls. help me understand the persistence of googanism.

J--

Chris Cass
07-19-2002, 09:07 AM
Funny stuff Jason,

The sad thing is I, once uttered those same words, 30 yrs ago. LMAO

2 reasons:
1) To make your life misserable.

2) I sent them too you. hahahahahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~likes Jason...

07-19-2002, 09:37 AM
Any ideas on how to exit a conversation that has turned Googanesque?

J--

07-19-2002, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JasonG NYC:</font><hr> Any ideas on how to exit a conversation that has turned Googanesque?

J-- <hr></blockquote>

Hi Jason. It's tough. It requires intentionally glazing over one's eyes, to the point that said googan is convinced you have lapsed into a coma.

If this does not work, you must act like a trapped animal, scanning the immediate area for exits. Chewing off one's own leg follows naturally. (This is done for effect only.)

- Steve Lipsky

Kato
07-19-2002, 10:26 AM
I just try to act as stupid as possible. This is not difficult. But try this. You're getting lectured on the pros/cons of different size pins when, out of the corner of your eye, you see Jim/Bob/Joe/Suzy/Cindy/Steve practicing in the back corner. You can either 1) Tell said Googan that your game is waiting for you or 2) Explain to Mr. Googan that Jim/Bob/Joe/Suzy/Cindy/Steve had just been talking about the same thing just yesterday. That should hopefully get them off your back.

Kato

07-19-2002, 10:39 AM
You might be a Googan if:

1. You have a shaper, AND a tapper AND a scruffer.
2. You have more than 3 playing cues -- SUPER Googan status is acheived at the level of 10 cues.
3. You own and use your own bridge
4. You own a cue extender.
5. Your cue is signed by a pro.
6. You are upset by this post.
7. You have ever said "beautiful high/low points"
8. You carry a "Blue Book of Pool Cues" with you at all times
9. You have a chalk holder -- magnetic
10. You own clothing from Run Out Sportswear.

J--

cheesemouse
07-19-2002, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JasonG NYC:</font><hr> Any ideas on how to exit a conversation that has turned Googanesque?

J-- <hr></blockquote>
Reach up and grab the guy by both ears, put your lips to his, release him and now you have rendered him speechless. He will never talk to you again....LOL LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-19-2002, 12:13 PM
I forgot one

11. You might be a Googan if: YOU WEAR A GLOVE! Super Googan Status is achieved by having a glove in a color other than black.

SpiderMan
07-19-2002, 01:43 PM
I'm familiar with these personalities, but have never heard that particular term applied to them. Is it a yankee expression that hasn't made it's way down here? Or did someone named John Googan beat you up in grade school so now you're trying to immortalize his name as synonymous with an equipment nerd /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

07-19-2002, 01:57 PM
Spiderman,

Yes... a boy named Ernest Googan clubbed me over the head with his father's cue extender /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
07-19-2002, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JasonG NYC:</font><hr> You might be a Googan if:

1. You have a shaper, AND a tapper AND a scruffer.
2. You have more than 3 playing cues -- SUPER Googan status is acheived at the level of 10 cues.
3. You own and use your own bridge
4. You own a cue extender.
5. Your cue is signed by a pro.
6. You are upset by this post.
7. You have ever said "beautiful high/low points"
8. You carry a "Blue Book of Pool Cues" with you at all times
9. You have a chalk holder -- magnetic
10. You own clothing from Run Out Sportswear.

J-- <hr></blockquote>

Funny stuff Jason! However you may have upset a few board members. BTW I can honestly answer no to all of the above, and your prior posts. Magnetic chalk holder, heh heh heh.
BTW some people have good reason for some items, but I hope not all, which I understand. Now that run out sports wear, maybe that's what I'm missing. My game has been a little off lately.lol

Voodoo Daddy
07-19-2002, 06:12 PM
It has traveled as far as South Florida Spiderman...except his name is Doogan. Mr Doogan say;

1]I own a handmade cue...a David Howard Meucci.
2]Do you think I should have a shaft made for my Cue-Tec?
3]Will an Ivory ferrule work well on my break cue?

Mr Doogan has 4-15 production cues called "his arsenal". He forever wears his 1998 APA T-Shirt he swiped from his ex-girlfriend's brother. Has 8-ball air freshners hanging in his vehicle and sports a semi-long mullet hairdo!!

Chris Cass
07-19-2002, 10:47 PM
HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Holy $hit, My moms a Googan. She bought me a tip tapper, 3 pieces of green Masters, 3 LePro tips different sizes, a magnetic chalk holder, and the Glove, for xmas one yr. I still have them too. They must have gotten too her. She was cool at one time. LOL

Didn't have the heart to tell her. I accepted the presents and acted like, it was the best gift anyones ever gave me, in my life.

Regards,

C.C.~~owns two cases one cue, 6 shafts, a tip tapper, crazy glue, Air Time.

07-19-2002, 11:02 PM
8-Ball air fresheners!!! LMAO!

Fran ~~~ looking to hide my 9-ball key chain.

07-19-2002, 11:03 PM
they say mosconi(or any great player) can play with a great broom handle(let's not get ridiculous. at least "a house cue"). well, he'd play ten times better with a good cue he's comfortable with.

but i know what you mean. it's just lesser performer's trying to make up for lack of proficiency. or maybe they have the money to afford all that stuff. something most pool players can't do. just tell'em all the doodads mean nothing. believe it or not, it usually works.:)

07-20-2002, 02:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JasonG NYC:</font><hr> Googan(n)[also see equipment freak] -- an individual that expresses extreme interest in pool equipment. Usually a terrible player.

Pls. help me understand the persistence of googanism.

J--

<hr></blockquote>

It's rampant thru-out this board,if you really wanted to know.BS