PDA

View Full Version : Cue U college vs. Private lessons

mantis
12-24-2006, 11:19 PM
I am not sure if anyone here has been to any of the 2 or 3 day seminars like cue u college, but I was wondering what people thought of them, and if they were better than personal lessons. The prices seem to come out to close to $50 an hour, or more. Not sure if I want to save the money and do personals, or try something like this. Also, I would think it would be better to learn over a period of time, instead of a crash two day course. Anyways, I am interested to hear your thoughts.

jjinfla
12-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Ah, that it could be so simple that all one had to do was receive instructions for 8 continuous hours and be able to absorb it all and perform flawlessly from then on.

I personally believe that there is nothing better than receiving personal instructions for an hour or two at a time and then spending a week or two practicing what you learned before you go on to the next lesson.

Of course Ralf Soquet might disagree with me since he spent two weeks studying with Bert Kinester. But then, that was private lessons. One on one.

Either way you go though you will learn and chop off several years off the learning curve.

Jake

Fran Crimi
12-25-2006, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course Ralf Soquet might disagree with me since he spent two weeks studying with Bert Kinester. But then, that was private lessons. One on one.
<hr /></blockquote>

Jake, what do you mean by two weeks? 8 Hours a day for 14 days? 2 Hours a day? 1 Hour a week? 20 Minutes a week?

Fran

randyg
12-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Both have merits. It would make more sense to do both. CUE-U, then find a personal instructor. You have chosen a good school.....SPF=randyg

mantis
12-25-2006, 09:44 AM
In a perfect world I would do both. However, my many more pressing financial obligations, such as a 2 yr old daughter, make the amount I can put aside for pool somewhat limited. I am looking for the best way to get started. If I do one of the schools, it would seem that I would have a lot to work on. However, if I do privates, I can space them out, and work on things in between sessions, and continue as I can afford it, while practicing what I was taught.

Brian in VA
12-25-2006, 10:21 AM
I highly recommend a personal lesson from one of the many instructors that post here. In one lesson they will give you enough to work on to keep you busy for a long time to come.

Brian in VA

jjinfla
12-25-2006, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>

Jake, what do you mean by two weeks? 8 Hours a day for 14 days? 2 Hours a day? 1 Hour a week? 20 Minutes a week?

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

I really do not remember. It was something that Bert mentions on one of his tapes. I took it to mean that he stayed with him for two weeks. It may be a slight exaggeration on Bert's part. I am told that he does do that on occasion.

Jake

jjinfla
12-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Did you become a physical therapist by taking a two/three day crash course?

Pool is no different. There is an awful lot of material to learn and master. For some of us the mastery never comes.

It all depends on how long you have been playing the game which choice you make.

If you have the luxory of having a good instructor near you I would go that route. Take a few lessons and see just how much you like pool.

Personally, if I had to do my life over, I would dedicate myself to my profession and excell there and not waste a lot of time with sports and games of any kind.

Jake

mantis
12-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Jinfla,
I tend to be fairly intense with whatever I do. As like most people, I do not like to be middle of the road regarding anything I care about. Physical therapy is my profession and a passion for me that I spend a lot of time on. However, I believe we need to balance professional time with hobbies of some sort to avoid burnout, no matter how much we enjoy what we do. Pool is something that I do away from my profession that I have always wanted to be good at also. It is something that I greatly enjoy when I am playing decently. I probably play for 30 minutes 4 x a wk with the occasional 1-2 hours of playing. This amount of time seems to be just enough to get a little better here and there, but not enough to become the player that I would like to be, especially since the time I play is not organized with specific improvments in mind. I hope time spent with a decent instructor will help. It is of course hard to know if the instructors in the area are any good. I was also thinking of taking a lesson with Scott Lee, as he comes into my area here and there. I would like to get with someone on a consistent basis also though. My goal is to really improve my game in the time I have available. I think I am going to try privates first as my budget allows, and see how that goes. At least I am not risking as much money at once if I am not happy with the results. I am in the south Chicagoland area if anyone knows of a decent instructor this way.

randyg
12-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Scott Lee would be my choice.....SPF=randyg

Fran Crimi
12-26-2006, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am in the south Chicagoland area if anyone knows of a decent instructor this way.
<hr /></blockquote>

So does that mean you're just visiting the Dallas area right now?

wolfdancer
12-26-2006, 05:42 PM
"Which is better", is a tough question to put a definitive answer to.
I think, if you have the time and the $$,an "intensive" course like the one offered at Cue-Tech is the way to go.
I've read where we (adults) have a "resistance" to learning, and this resistance is abated in a long teaching session. It's the best way to learn a new language quickly, and has proven success in advancing one's golf game....

I think the unreal expectation is that if you go there as a "B" player, you'll come home as an "A" player. More likely though, that you'll come home as a "C" player...temporarily,as you "sweep out the trash" and the new info replaces the old. One theory is that it takes 21 days of a concentrated effort to incorporate something new in one's game...a new swing, stroke, etc
From what I've heard from a grad student...you will end up with the tools to elevate your game to the level of your God-given talent. (I was sick the day they gave out talent)

jjinfla
12-26-2006, 06:53 PM
I never heard anything bad about Scott Lee. You probably can't go wrong if you spend a couple hours with him and see what he thinks of your skill and what he can do for you.

Don't expect too much if all you devote to pool is 2 hours a week.

Sounds like you put in $3 to $5 in a coin op machine every now and then and you want to play a little better than your friends. If so, then spending a bunch of money on a three day school would be a waste of your time and money.

But then, it is your time, and your money, so far be it for me to tell you what to do.

Jake

mantis
12-26-2006, 07:02 PM
I have a table at home, so it is not a coin op situation. I also have a 2 year old, so that takes a lot of my time. If needed, I could put in more time, it just depends on how late I want to stay up. I am willing to put in the time as needed. I would just like some direction as to where and how to spend the time. It is interesting to hear some people say they think privates are better, and some say the schools. It is a tough choice.

pooltchr
12-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Either way is going to give you the knowledge and information you need for improvement. The bottom line is what you do with it once you have it. I know Scott can give you a lot of good instruction, but more important, he can give you a very specific practice routine that you can easily do in about 30 minutes or so. This would seem to fit into your time schedule quite easily. Just remember, what you do with an instructor will only do you good if you take what you learn and apply it to your practice time when you are on your own.

I have had students do very well in either case, whether it be a class setting, or individual instruction. It all comes down to how much you are willing to put into it after the instruction is completed.
Steve

Scott Lee
12-26-2006, 09:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> the time I play is not organized with specific improvments in mind.

I hope time spent with a decent instructor will help.

I was also thinking of taking a lesson with Scott Lee, as he comes into my area here and there.

I am in the south Chicagoland area if anyone knows of a decent instructor this way. <hr /></blockquote>

mantis...I am in Chicago right now, if you're interested.
I'll be here through Thursday. PM, or email me...

Scott Lee
email: poolology@aol.com

Qtec
12-26-2006, 10:18 PM
You should do both. Go on the weekend intensive traing course and then take regular instruction. On the course you will learn a lot of new info and the instructor can show you how to apply/use that info to better your game.

If you were building your own house and didn't really have the knowledge to do it and realised you needed help. Would you rather have an expert come round once a week to check on your progress or once every 6 months?

Q

Fran Crimi
12-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Scott, mantis' posts are coming from the Dallas area. Hey, free advertising, though, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

randyg
12-27-2006, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Scott, mantis' posts are coming from Dallas. Hey, free advertising, though, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

What does that imply????randyg

Fran Crimi
12-27-2006, 08:15 AM
There's no implication here, Randy. Just facts.

Fran

Scott Lee
12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Fran...FYI, mantis lives in the Chicagoland area, not Dallas, and that's where he is seeking instruction...hence the original thread post. Geez louise!

Scott Lee

Bob_Jewett
12-27-2006, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> ... The prices seem to come out to close to $50 an hour, or more. Not sure if I want to save the money and do personals, or try something like this. ... <hr /></blockquote>
If cost is a concern, you are much better off finding a local instructor for personals. My experience with intense 3-day courses is that the student is in overload by the end of the course. An alternative is for the course to include enough practice/play time to reinforce the instruction, but I think that is better done on your own time, provided you are shown early how to practice.

An extreme example of this is the "celebrity instructor"-type course in which the student pays $2000 to $3000 for a 3- or 4-day course. It is important that the student understands that most of the cost is for the experience rather than the instruction. The same $2000 would get four hours per month of one-on-one instruction for a whole year. In terms of learning the game, I think the latter is far more effective.

9ball_master
12-27-2006, 12:16 PM
If you're talking about learning the basics then both way can add to your game, although a personal lesson would be more effective mainly because all of the lesson time is spent on you.
I also think that taking a lesson that covers one or two subjects and then practice it for a week or so before the next lesson/subject is a better way to go.

If you are talking about advance course then forget about it, a one on one with a personal instructor is the only way to go.

I know that becoming a better player cost a lot of money and takes a lot of the player time. The vast expense is not on lessons or courses but more on table time to practice.... but since you have a table at home then consider yourself lucy....
If you have a good personal instructor in your area (regardless of where you live or where your posts are coming from....) I would suggest that you take that path, if you don't and you have to travel for it then a course would be the best way for you, just do yourself a favor, write everything down, there is no way you'll remember half of it by heart, write it down so you would remember what to practice on.

Hope this help /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fran Crimi
12-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Okay, I get it now. IP Addresses are hub addresses. Don't get so insulted, Scott. I was just saying that you got some free press at the least if this guy wasn't where he said he was. I wasn't saying that you did anything evil. Geez louise! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

randyg
12-27-2006, 03:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Okay, I get it now. IP Addresses are hub addresses. Don't get so insulted, Scott. I was just saying that you got some free press at the least if this guy wasn't where he said he was. I wasn't saying that you did anything evil. Geez louise! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FRAN: Now that I really study this, I think he's from New York...randyg

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

mantis
12-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I am definately posting and living in the chicago land area. Sounds like most people favor the personal instruction idea, but find value in the classes also.

Scott Lee
12-28-2006, 11:33 AM
mantis...You can take advantage of a shorter, personal lesson now, and save up for the 'advanced' clinic later on, be it at Cue U or somewhere else. Randyg and I will also be doing another 3-day road show pool school in the Chicago area before too long. Interested parties can contact either of us.

Scott Lee

bsmutz
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
consider yourself lucy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

caedos
12-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Why is Louise Geez instead of Sally, Frank, or Guillermo? Where did that originate? Inquiring mind wants to know... discuss /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carl

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
12-29-2006, 05:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> Why is Louise Geez instead of Sally, Frank, or Guillermo? Where did that originate? Inquiring mind wants to know... discuss /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carl

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Carl...Why isn't it "Good Golly, Miss Theresa"?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve

randyg
12-29-2006, 06:54 AM
"Criss cross, apple sauce, Allison is the boss."

Stretch
12-29-2006, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> "Criss cross, apple sauce, Allison is the boss." <hr /></blockquote>

Red rover, red rover, i call Karen over. St.

Voodoo Daddy
12-29-2006, 08:19 AM
I can see not much has changed since my last time here... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL...back next year!!!

randyg
12-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Ole-Ole-Ole-Olson Freeooooooooo, you can all come out nooooooow.

wolfdancer
12-29-2006, 09:06 AM
"Criss cross, apple sauce, Allison is the boss."

you sure you guys ain't hitting the sauce a little early for the New Years Party?

Stretch
12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> "Criss cross, apple sauce, Allison is the boss."

you sure you guys ain't hitting the sauce a little early for the New Years Party? <hr /></blockquote>

BUSTED! lol Well you see, i always have a good supply of joy juice between Christmas and Newyears, you know, for Company and all *wink lol. Yep, Newyears to do now. WHEW i don't know about you but i had THE most Amazing year of my life. Anyways i digress.....wut were we talking about?......Oh ya, did you know that it turns out men who are attracted to big breasted woman are 10 times more attracted if they share the same DNA. They call that Einstein's Theory of Relativtitty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.