PDA

View Full Version : Ever been "shown up" ?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-19-2002, 11:22 AM
APA 8-ball league last night. I played against a 7 handicap (that's as high as you can go). I figured I had a chance because I only had to win 3 games to his 5 games.

I played well the first game but still lost.
In the second game he figured he was in the driver's seat so he tried a couple of wild shots. Like drawing the CB the length of the table for absolutely no reason. Then he passed up an easy bank shot and got the jump cue out and tried a jump shot and missed. At this point I felt like he was trying to show me up (like he could just fool around and still thump my pathetic a$$) so I deadpanned "Gee I can't believe you missed THAT shot". I then ran the rest of the table for a win. He then got serious and won the next 4 games. We talked after the match and everything was cool.

Do you think he was trying to show me up? Ever had that done to you? Most of y'all are so good it probably hasn't happened /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

PQQLK9
07-19-2002, 11:29 AM
I've had similiar experiences with good players who try to build reasons or excuses for a probable loss...(shooting one handed...shooting with cell phone cradeled on shoulder...shooting hard etc.

07-19-2002, 11:44 AM

07-20-2002, 01:23 AM
I've never played in that league , but my son has . He says thier is a lot of sandbaging that goes on . Could be thats what he was doing.
Jack

07-20-2002, 03:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> ... he figured he was in the driver's seat so he tried a couple of wild shots. Like drawing the CB the length of the table for absolutely no reason. Then he passed up an easy bank shot and got the jump cue out and tried a jump shot and missed. At this point I felt like he was trying to show me up (like he could just fool around and still thump my pathetic a$$...He then got serious and won the next 4 games.

Do you think he was trying to show me up? Ever had that done to you? <hr></blockquote>

Yeah!!

He was a mexican that talked on his cell phone the entire match.His cue case had Winn-Dixie on the side or maybe he was sponsored by Winn-Dixie.Never could figure that out.

I just flat out don't like the guy. I'm fairly certain he doesn't read this board so it's not like he's gonna get his feelings hurt or something.

a redgooganeck perhaps?BS

Rich R.
07-20-2002, 09:38 AM
Wally, the next time he gets that jump stick out, wish with all your heart that he makes the shot. Then quickly call a foul on him. Jump cues are not legal in the APA. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

07-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Yeah that's part of it. He missed some easy shots on purpose but I'm used to that. It was the "wild" shots that honked me off /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-20-2002, 10:56 AM
Greetings BS,

I always enjoy reading your posts. They are intelligent and informative. Thank you for enlightening me.

07-20-2002, 11:05 AM
Yes you are correct. He was playing with a jump/break. He unscrewed the butt portion to break it down to a jump cue. Do you know if that is legal?

Hold on here it is on page 41. " ...players are not allowed to break their cues down to attempt jump shots."

Thanks Rich I'll remember that next time /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
07-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Wally,
I know that the situation is going to pop up at anytime (leagues or tournaments) and that it can be considered a "sharking method" (intimidation by performance)

"Shown UP" is a form of sharking, but more accepted than other forms. I don't see it much anymore, or maybe its still there and I just don't pay any attention to it.

I've got too much to do concentrating on my own game and what I do at the table to see or judge what any other player does.

Rod
07-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Quote Wally, Do you think he was trying to show me up? Ever had that done to you? "

Wally I'll bet a wagon load of fresh cut alfalfa bails that he was! That's heavy stuff.lol It seems kind of silly for someone to do that in league play though. It sure doesn't make sense just to draw the ball for no reason.

I've done that at times gambling. Pulling off a super stroke at the begining of a match can and many times will make an opponent uneasy or intimidated. If the guy plays my speed then it's a different story. I might find a way to duck instead of taking undue risk. My reference is gambling only, not league or tournaments.

07-20-2002, 08:20 PM
I believe I have, in the infant years but now, I think Rod hit it on the head, when gambling someone whose good, but timid, I try to pull off a fancy shot or two to rattle his nerves. The railbirds stick the blade in deeper when they react. I know, cause it used to rattle me.

Ryan
07-21-2002, 08:13 AM
I see no reason on earth why a 7 would do that OTHER than in an attempt to show you up. I could understand why a 5 would draw the full length of the table for bad position if he was just running up innings (sandbagging).

As a 7, there is no benefit in pulling those kind of stunts other than to prove that he is a complete and total a**. I agree with others that have posted in that the next time he tries to use that jump cue, call a foul. It would be worth it just to see the look on his face!

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2002, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Sometimes I will miss on purpose so that my unsuspecting opponents will get their trash off of the table in 8 ball. If during this process I did something that appears stupid, then the more the better if my opponent is falling for it. This includes playing stupid position and taking stupid shots (usually when I have no runout available). This gives them a false sense of security and makes them careless thinking that I am overrated.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah I do that too sometimes. That's just smart play. The feeling I got was that this guy was gonna put on a trick shot exhibition at my expense for his teammates who were hootin' and hollerin' over in the corner.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Was he doing this on purpose? Could have been just to aggrevate you. Who knows. Maybe he just wanted to practice a jump shot or try drawing the ball the length of the table just to try out his new tip. I wasn't there, and even if I were, it is sometimes impossible to understand what is in the mind of the opponent. Isn't pool fun? <hr></blockquote>

Yes it is! LOL

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2002, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>
Yeah!!

He was a mexican that talked on his cell phone the entire match.His cue case had Winn-Dixie on the side or maybe he was sponsored by Winn-Dixie.Never could figure that out.

I just flat out don't like the guy. I'm fairly certain he doesn't read this board so it's not like he's gonna get his feelings hurt or something.

a redgooganeck perhaps?BS

<hr></blockquote>

I don't know if you're making a joke or taking a shot at me. Either way that's pretty funny and I had it coming /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:

Wally,
I know that the situation is going to pop up at anytime (leagues or tournaments) and that it can be considered a "sharking method" (intimidation by performance)

"Shown UP" is a form of sharking, but more accepted than other forms. I don't see it much anymore, or maybe its still there and I just don't pay any attention to it.

I've got too much to do concentrating on my own game and what I do at the table to see or judge what any other player does.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent advice as always Tom. Thanks.
Actually my original post was incorrect. I was on the hill at 2-1 when he straightened up and started playing some real pool. He won the last 4 games in 3 innings.

07-22-2002, 07:17 AM

Rich R.
07-22-2002, 07:48 AM
Thanks Whitewolf, I have never seen a copy of the local bylaws. If I have a question, I just refer to the national's.
Although, I haven't seen anybody use a jumb stick in my weekly league, per the national rules, I guess that doesn't mean that it is not allowed if the local bylaws differ from the national's.
Just a question, are the local bylaws, you are referring to, just for your local league or are they for the entire Southern Maryland/D.C./Northern Virginia APA area? I just checked their website and the team manual on their site is the same as the national APA manual which prohibits jump cues. If they are for the entire area, I am going to have to get a hold of a copy. There are times when I would love to use a jump cue. Of course, I have to get a lot more practice with one first. LOL.
Rich R.

07-22-2002, 07:53 AM

Rich R.
07-22-2002, 08:14 AM
Sometime between my last post and your response, I edited my post.
To repeat, I checked the local website and they have the national rules that prohibit jump cues. I could not find any local bylaws.
Let me know if you find anything.
Rich R.