PDA

View Full Version : Death Be Not Manicured

S0Noma
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
The latest in green burial.

By Joe Sehee
Posted Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2006, at 12:57 PM ET

What does green burial look like, and how does it compare to the usual death-rite conventions?

Some cultures befriend death as best they can, with burial customs that embrace decay and regeneration. The American way of death has been to stave off decay with formaldehyde, bullet-proof caskets, and concrete burial vaults. But that may be changing.

Green burial—which bans the use of toxins and nonbiodegradable materials, and helps preserve land—is a growing sector of the death-care industry. Once limited to a few providers and places, it's now available in eight states, in the form of a burial package approved by the Green Burial Council, a nonprofit founded last year. This week, the first alliance between a green cemetery and a land trust to make green burial a strategy for conservation was formed in South Carolina. And this coming year, the Neptune Society will become the first cremation company to offset its carbon emissions and encourage the scattering of ashes as a way of protecting natural areas.

web page (http://www.slate.com/id/2156192/slideshow/2156291/)

FatsRedux
12-28-2006, 06:37 PM
When the time comes, my body will be cremated. My cremains will remain in an urn next to my pet's cremains. Once my wife joins us on the other side, all the cremains are to be mixed together loaded into fireworks shells and shot off over the Caribbean Ocean while Pink Floyd's "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" plays for a small group of family and friends to hear while they sip champagne.

Not green, but still a pretty cool way to make an exit.

Fats