PDA

View Full Version : For Straight Pool Players

qstroker2004
12-31-2006, 10:48 PM
I have to admit this post is directed toward those of you who can run about 100 balls, but I hope anybody will feel free to respond.

What is the short list of advice you wish you knew years before you actually learned it? In other words, what really made a jump in your game that got you from the 2-3-4 routine rack runs to the 5-6-7 routine runs? I guess you can guess where my game is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I can think of a few things along the way that really boosted my game:

1. Realizing that you MUST know exactly where the cue ball is going on natural follow shots.
2. Realizing that you have to be able to hit the cue ball precisely…that english less than 1/8 of a tip can spell disaster for position play if you didn’t want it.
3. Breaking down speed control into several standard increments gave a good guideline for judging how hard to hit a shot.
4. Pick out which 4 or 5 balls you are going to leave on the table last, and do this when there are still twice that many balls on the table. (assuming there are no significant problems left to clear up).

I do realize that sometimes it is just "do everything better." But I have found that there is usually something that still made a big difference somewhere along the line. What comes to mind that really did it for you?

Thanks for any input,
dwhite

Oh, and how do you get rid of those crazy "Post Icons"? I clicked on one and then couldn't get it out of my title!

MrLucky
01-01-2007, 07:41 AM
<font color="red">So I guess this means you regularly are able to run 100 balls? Hell I am impressed ! I've played straight for 40 years now and was taught by one of the greats and your the first person I've heard boast this accomplishment! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

qstroker2004
01-01-2007, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <font color="red">So I guess this means you regularly are able to run 100 balls? Hell I am impressed ! I've played straight for 40 years now and was taught by one of the greats and your the first person I've heard boast this accomplishment! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I wish! I guess it wasn't clear what I meant. I can routinely run 2-3 and sometimes 4 racks, and am trying to break through to the next level. By routine, I do not mean every inning, of course.

dwhite

01-03-2007, 01:20 PM
In my experience, players who can run balls as you can but are stymied in their progress are having a problem with FOCUS and not much else. Do you get ball-to-ball "cautious" with your run approaching the 40s? Does the number of balls you've run weigh on your mind? I bet you'd run quite a few more balls if someone other than you did the counting. Try reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" by Timothy Gallwey. With the exception of Chapter 5, it's one of the best pool instructionals ever written, and there's an excellent chance it will help you clear your head. GF

qstroker2004
01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 071838:</font><hr> In my experience, players who can run balls as you can but are stymied in their progress are having a problem with FOCUS and not much else. Do you get ball-to-ball "cautious" with your run approaching the 40s? Does the number of balls you've run weigh on your mind? I bet you'd run quite a few more balls if someone other than you did the counting. Try reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" by Timothy Gallwey. With the exception of Chapter 5, it's one of the best pool instructionals ever written, and there's an excellent chance it will help you clear your head. GF <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the comments. I'm very familiar with the book you mentioned, as well as Pleasure of Small Motions, and so on. I am usually pretty focused when I shoot, but I don't often try to run as many balls as I can. The number of balls run doesn't bother me that much -- I often run two racks without realizing it. I've been mostly concentrating on improving those parts of my game that need it most. So I've been doing lots of drills instead of just running balls with the limited time I have to shoot. Lately I've gone back to running balls and have been generally pleased with my "new skills." However, the improvements in my game haven't translated into big runs. I know that I'm still shooting the wrong shot just to push myself and see if I can make that tight position play, or whatever it might be.

When I look back at improvements I've made in my game I think, "Geez I wish I knew this a long time ago." But, you can't really know something new until your game is good enough to make use of it. I mean, you may know from day 1 that you should generally hit the ball softly, but that means something different depending on your level of play.

That kind of thinking spurred me to post about what things made the biggest improvements in your game.

Thanks for the response,
dwhite

01-03-2007, 09:57 PM
OK, let's try this; it won't impinge on either your stroke-production technique nor your position planning (which is only fair, as I've never seen you play): next time you play, try chalking your cue with the hand you don't normally use. And when you replace the chalk, try to follow it visually all the way to the rail. That's it. I think you'll be quite pleased. Let us know how you do. GF

DickLeonard
01-04-2007, 08:08 AM
071838 I'll have to get out my Inner Tennis Book. I always have to Honor Joe Canton for my ability to run balls. He opened the door to my mind. I had played pool with Joe for 2 straight years in the 50s. He made running balls a breeze by always picking the right shot, always having an out shot unlike announcers on 14.1 tapes saying avoid hitting clusters he would billiard into them and always creating that out shot.

He had a series of five balls that he used for the last five balls 60% of the time. If the balls didn't lay in that position he would billiard the balls in that pattern. It took me a few months to catch on to that move. That was when the dawn broke.

Then you have to learn how to go to Pool Heaven where mind and body become one and running balls just happen. It is a Dance Routine that the Inner Mind/Body dance to. Every move is choreographed as chalking the Tip etc. A missed step and a miss ensues.

But enuff.####

01-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Getting mind and body together is what I'm trying to help qstroker achieve, Dick. His ideas all sound right, and he has the appropriate foundation (that is, he can already run multiple racks). You've told us about Joe Canton's last-five-balls sequence before, and what I admired about it most (besides the results) is how PERSONAL an approach it was; not only was he creating effective break shots, but he was ensuring that he could REACH those shots too, which was key because of his physical stature. Thanks for sharing again. GF

DickLeonard
01-05-2007, 06:49 AM
071838 I was always trying to get Joe to shoot lefthanded just the shots he would use the bridge for. He had a mental block, he wouldn't even try saying he just couldn't use his lefthand.

That was how I learned to play lefthanded just shooting the shots I couldn't reach. I must have played bad position in those days because I became proficient playing lefthanded.####

qstroker2004
01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 071838:</font><hr> Getting mind and body together is what I'm trying to help qstroker achieve, Dick. His ideas all sound right, and he has the appropriate foundation (that is, he can already run multiple racks).<hr /></blockquote>

Hi GF and Dick. I don't normally post about my game a lot because it can be tedious for others to read. Having said that...

Over the last couple of years (playing on and off) I've had the mentality of "Why bother running balls when I know there are so many things I need to learn before I have a RIGHT to expect big runs." I've run 50-60-70 balls on the rare occasion back when I had far less ball control. Now that I've learned so much I've gone back to running balls. So far I have decent results, but I think I'm at the point where I should be running more than I am. So I made the post here to see what big ball runners do that I haven't learned yet. Your post about FOCUS fell on somewhat deaf ears to me originally because (1) I thought I was focused and (2) I had no idea of your game and whether your advice was any good (to be honest).

Over the last week I read over some of my old lesson notes and thought about focus. My conclusion is that I've been focused, but not on all the right things. I really have been taking ball pocketing for granted. Now I'm paying more attention to tip position and ball pocketing, and I think that is helping. Basically, I'm still trying to "put it all together." There's focus and then there's focus.

Now Dick just posted and talked about the "dance." I'm realizing that this might be just the advice I was looking for...something that I have heard and thought I understood, but probably don't. The question is whether I have the knowledge and skill to be ready for that dance. Some of you seem to think that if I can run two or three racks routinely then I should be ready for the next level.

Well I'm not sure I have a point other than to say that your advice is appreciated. I think Dick's talk about the dance is what some of the books call tempo. Everything should be done in step with your shooting tempo, as if every movement is a measured note on sheet music. Sound about right?

thanks,
dwhite

qstroker2004
01-05-2007, 05:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> He had a series of five balls that he used for the last five balls 60% of the time. If the balls didn't lay in that position he would billiard the balls in that pattern. It took me a few months to catch on to that move. That was when the dawn broke.<hr /></blockquote>

Dick - any chance of getting you to diagram those last 5? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess maybe I should search the forum to see if you've done it already. If not, here's a Wei table link if you'd be so kind.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAEj4BAEP4CADv4DADb4EADF4PACh@

thanks for any pointers,
dwhite