PDA

View Full Version : Pro Taper

markabbate
01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Does a pro taper have alot of deflection? What taper do you prefer and why?

Billy_Bob
01-02-2007, 09:25 AM
A "pro taper" shaft is basically the same size around going back from the tip say 10 or 11 inches, then it gets larger around from there going back to the joint.

A "euro taper" shaft increases in size going from the tip back to the joint.

A "custom taper" shaft can be anything you want.

The advantage of a pro taper shaft is that it will slide through your fingers (bridge) easier since it is the same size around.

The advantage of a euro taper shaft is that it is more "sturdy" as there is more wood there to support the shaft.

For my playing cue, I prefer a pro taper shaft so it will slide through my fingers easier. For my breaking cue, I prefer a euro taper shaft since it is more sturdy.

So far as deflection, if you are talking about "cue ball deflection" (squirt), you can get a "low deflection shaft" which can be either a euro taper or pro taper. Both are low deflection.

I don't think the taper of the shaft would have too much to do with how much deflection the shaft has. A low deflection shaft has less "mass" in the first 5 inches. They do this by making it hollow and using special light weight materials.

dr_dave
01-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Billy_Bob,

Excellent summary!

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> A "pro taper" shaft is basically the same size around going back from the tip say 10 or 11 inches, then it gets larger around from there going back to the joint.

A "euro taper" shaft increases in size going from the tip back to the joint.

A "custom taper" shaft can be anything you want.

The advantage of a pro taper shaft is that it will slide through your fingers (bridge) easier since it is the same size around.

The advantage of a euro taper shaft is that it is more "sturdy" as there is more wood there to support the shaft.

For my playing cue, I prefer a pro taper shaft so it will slide through my fingers easier. For my breaking cue, I prefer a euro taper shaft since it is more sturdy.

So far as deflection, if you are talking about "cue ball deflection" (squirt), you can get a "low deflection shaft" which can be either a euro taper or pro taper. Both are low deflection.

I don't think the taper of the shaft would have too much to do with how much deflection the shaft has. A low deflection shaft has less "mass" in the first 5 inches. They do this by making it hollow and using special light weight materials. <hr /></blockquote>

cushioncrawler
01-02-2007, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> .... I don't think the taper of the shaft would have too much to do with how much deflection the shaft has. A low deflection shaft has less "mass" in the first 5 inches. They do this by making it hollow and using special light weight materials... <hr /></blockquote>
Funny story. Burroughs &amp; Watts (England) invented a cue with a hidden solid steel stiffener 12" long running throo the center of the wood at the tip-end. Lots of advertising and lots of fanfare and trumpeting. This was at about the 1st world war. This new cue was going to reduce bending etc and make billiards eezyr and turn the industry upsidedown. Never heard of again -- sunk without trace.

Me myself, i have a hollow steel cue, stiffest cue i ever held, only 15-1/2oz. U carnt screw-back etc with this cue to save your life, too stiff, no give (even tho it weighs next to nothing at the tip end). Likewize it squirts a lot (even tho it weighs next to nothing at the tip end). U would think that at least this stiff cue would be really great for straight shots, but no, it aint az good az we might think -- it all goze to show, cue science iz stranger than we (and Burroughs &amp; Watts) might think. madMac.

Jal
01-03-2007, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote markabbate:</font><hr> Does a pro taper have alot of deflection? What taper do you prefer and why? <hr /></blockquote>From what I've read, the euro taper will generally produce less squirt because the tips and ferrules tend to smaller diameters (there is less mass where it counts the most). But it is a complicated problem and stiffness is also a factor (ie, how much mass further down the shaft gets "pulled" into the picture). If you want extensive discussion on the topic, go here and search on "squirt taper" or "squirt stiffness":

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8

In fact, you'll find more interesting archived discussions of just about any pool related subject there since any sort of thoughtful analysis is all but taboo on most of the forums now.

Like most people, I prefer the pro taper as I use a closed bridge sometimes. A closed bridge does not mandate this, though.

Jim

Snapshot9
01-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Actually, the standard pro taper is 13" (12-14" range), extended pro taper is 15" (14-16" range).

European Taper actually contains 2 types of tapers, "A straight line taper' (think Snooker), and the 'conical' taper (which you described). /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif