PDA

View Full Version : APA vs. BCA Ranking Systems

BigRigTom
01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know approximately how the APA skill level ranking compares to the BCA skill level ranking?
or
Is that a really stupid question?
or
Can anyone compare any other recognized ranking systems with those used in the APA and the BCA for that matter.

It is not as dumb as one might think initially. My reason for asking is that I have a guy wanting to join my APA 8 ball team. He has not played APA before but claims to be a BCA level "C" player. I was wondering how that will pan out in the APA....is he a 4, 5 or 6? Any thoughts on this subject will be appreciated.

Deeman3
01-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Tom,

I don't think the "C" rating will tell you much from BCA general rankings unless he was in a league a couple of years and had been individually rated. Entire leagues have "C" ratings as far as I know, especially start-up leagues. Within that league, many really good players as well as beginners play. You might just ask him how he plays, how often he runs out in eight ball or nine ball or watch him pay a few games. I know the APA ratings are supposed to be a secret formula to keep people from sandbagging to their lowest number and I sure don't know how they come up with them.

DeeMan

jjinfla
01-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I would say that if he is a C player then he would most likely be at least a 6 in the APA. But he will start as a 4.

SpiderMan
01-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Tom,

I'm not aware of a nationally-applied standard ranking system within BCA leagues. It tends to be highly dependent on the local league and it's operator.

Comparing APA and BCA in the Dallas area, I'd say that most of our BCA players who are rightfully classified "A" or better would also be APA 7s. I played APA two years as a 7, recently joined a friend's BCA team, and the league classified me as an "A".

A Dallas "B" would be somewhere between 4 and 7 - there's a lot of variation in what Dallas BCA calls a "B", and it hasn't been consistent over the years. There are current Dallas "B" players with several prior years on Master's teams. Likewise, there are "B" players who haven't run out in months. Looking at online stats for a division with 47 "B" players, 37 have not had one break-and-run in an 8-ball league that's been going since early last October. But the top-ranked shooter, in this division which also allows "A" and "master" players, is also a "B". That's quite a spread in talent!

"C" in Dallas-area BCA would probably be between a 2 and a 4.

SpiderMan

BigRigTom
01-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Very enlighting stuff ....all of you.
I have never played BCA but have been thinking about joining a BCA league in Oxnard, Ca. at the Que Club.
I guess I need to do that just to see how they rank players.
I really thought the BCA had a national system.
Thanks for the wakeup call...all of you who responded.

Snapshot9
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
BCA, 5 man team, 8 ball, the handicaps run from 1-75. I don't know what APA is now, used to be to 7. Take his BCA average, for examples sake, say it was 33, and that would translate to a 3 APA (75/7 = X, 33/X=3 rounded).

4 man BCA is from 1 to 60, or 15 points per man on team. BCA scores 15 possible points per 8 ball game.

Actually, I developed a system that can convert rankings (or handicaps) from any league to any league or money ranking, but it is based off of 10 ball (Bowliards) scores. Plus, each game has a difficulty factor of game vs. Bowliards (I use 12% difficulty factor for 9 ball vs. bowliards, 15% for 8 ball, still fine tuning them).

jjinfla
01-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Around here most of the BCA teams are composed of players who are 6-7 in the APA. In fact, if you want the team to do well they better all be pretty strong 7's. Even up to pro level.

So comparing rankings between APA and BCA is rather meaningless.

Jake