PDA

View Full Version : pool movies

canadan
01-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Is there any other moveies then The color of money, Pool hall junkies and the hustler?

wannabeplayer
01-04-2007, 06:17 AM
there are a couple that i am aware of.....Shooting Gallery string Freddie Prinz Jr and Ving Rhames is an OK movie. and Kiss Shot with Whoopie Goldberg....it is a stinker.

dr_dave
01-04-2007, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> Is there any other moveies then The color of money, Pool hall junkies and the hustler?<hr /></blockquote>
My August '04 instructional article (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/2004/aug04.pdf) gives details for the three you list plus two more ("Donald in MathMagic Land" and "The Music Man" [weak connection to pool]). Also, if you like pool movies, you might enjoy the series of articles I wrote called "Billiards on the Big Screen" (see October-August '04 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/index.html)).

Regards,
Dave

Cydpkt
01-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Hard to find and definately older style: "The Baltimore Bullet" (James Coburn, Bruce Boxleitner, and Omar Sharif) Stars some of the greats but the shots are all set ups and cut aways.

caedos
01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
The Hustler
The Color of Money
The Baltimore Bullet
Kiss Shot
Stickmen (Australian)
Shooting Gallery
Poolhall Junkies
Lemon Tree Billiards House (Shown on IMDB; I don't know anything about this one)
L'Obsession du billard (Shown on IMDB; I don't know anything about this one)
Billiards Mad (1912)-Black &amp; White silent movie (Shown on IMDB; I don't know anything about this one)
Pool Sharks (1915) Short, silent movie showing W.C.Fields doing his vaudeville billiards routine.
A Game of Pool (1913) also called "The Pool Shark", a short and silent film

Jennifer Barretta is working on a big screen project called '9 Ball'. I can't find it on IMDB, and who knows if it's going to make it to the marketplace.

IMDB shows references to some TV shows. I remember a billiards related Twilight Zone, I think with Jonathan Winters as a character.

c

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

theinel
01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Stickmen is definitely worth watching.

Cydpkt
01-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Forgot to mention "The Baron and The Kid" Stars Johnny Cash. Ok for a movie but not up to "The Hustler" or "The Color of Money".

sack316
01-08-2007, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> Forgot to mention "The Baron and The Kid" Stars Johnny Cash. Ok for a movie but not up to "The Hustler" or "The Color of Money". <hr /></blockquote>

I was about to add that one on here. I actually found it a few months back in the $3 DVD bin at Wal-Mart, so you can actually pick it up cheaper than a rental. I agree it ain't up there with the other classics, but it's well worth the 3 bucks if ya can find it.

Sack

BigRigTom
01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Quote - "IMDB shows references to some TV shows. I remember a billiards related Twilight Zone, I think with Jonathan Winters as a character."

Jonathan Winters played "Fats Brown" and Jack Klugman was the challenger who beat him to become the "Greatest". Interesting moral but the pool scenes were really lame....they played a race to 300 for life or death and Jack Klugman won by a score of 300 to 299 but Johathan Winters appeared to have thrown the match. Worth watching for the moral lesson.