PDA

View Full Version : Comments by Francisco Bustamante

Harold Acosta
07-19-2002, 07:45 PM
This info was pulled from the "Tournament Notes" of this website. Sincerly thought you should see it!
----------------------------------------------------------

Cardiff Insider

* While well-wishers streamed by to offer their condolences, Francisco Bustamante expressed continued disbelief in the sudden and tragic loss of his six-month-old daughter, Mariel.

"I can't believe she died" said the 38-year-old Filipino, pulling a photograph of the child from his wallet. "Look at her. She's beautiful. When I left the Philippines on July 10, she was very healthy."

Bustamante received the news early Friday from his wife, Mila.

"My wife said Mariel had the flu, but the doctor said she was okay," said Bustamante. "This morning when my wife went to wake the baby, the baby was white. She died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

"At first, I just wanted to go home," he continued. "But I talked to my wife and to my sponsor, Mr. Jose Puyat. They said I could do whatever I want, but it is over and there is nothing I can do at home. I decided to stay on and play for my country.

"When I came here, I was mentally ready to win the world championship, because it is very important to me. Now it's changed, but I will play on and try my best."