PDA

View Full Version : Questions.....

Deeman3
01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Just a few of the questions I ponder every once in a while.

Seeing the love fest that the Crimson Tide is now having with their newly acquired coach/savior Nick Saban why do they bother to get a new coach every few years and pay $4 million and change just to deem him a loser a few years later. Why don’t they pay some smuck, like me or Spiderman, $2 million and a shovel so we could dig up Bear Bryant and make everything right in Tuscaloosa?

What basis do scientists have for being able to reject a God outright, but be willing to swear that 20 billion years ago all this we see, universe, stars, Milky Way and Brittany’s underwear all started with a mass smaller than a softball?

Where do atheists, believing that their love and emotions are all just chemical reactions, turn to in times of great need/sorrow? Do they just say? “Well, my child/husband/friend was just an organism anyway, no need to grieve.” Do they really not pray in foxholes?

If aging is a product of genes, why with every possible mutation on the table, so to speak, has there not been a mutation in all of history that made a defect, not allowing ageing to occur? Wouldn’t we have some Andy Runny character eventually say, “Wait, it’s been 1,200 years and I’m not even seeing nose hair here!” Wouldn’t, eventually, two of these people get together and have longer lived offspring making that mutation favorable?

If side spin does not transfer to the object ball why am I sneaking the 4 off the cushion at a shorter angle in one pocket to avoid another ball and successfully pocketing it in the corner pocket? Why does the ball spin sideways down the able and rebound at an angle off the end cushion?

If Sunday is just another day, why do liberal companies pay double time for employees to work then? Shouldn’t atheists work on Easter or not be paid?

Why does the buy-American market in Detroit sell a higher percentage of import cars than they do in Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, etc?

Would any of you who are guilty about the Blood Diamonds you have or are wearing send them to DeeMan for proper disposal?

Why would someone spend time photographing or searching for a glimpse of a young woman’s crotch getting out of her car when that is the one physical item on her body that is not much different from your wife, girlfriend or next door neighbor’s anatomy?

Why is Jehad an acceptable term while Crusade is not PC?

What is one thing the UN has done right in the last 10 years?

An oldie of mine…Why are motorcyclists allowed the freedom of not wearing a helmet in many states but all require seatbelts for car drivers?

Why are the gays fighting for the right for marriage between two homosexuals and not for the rights of plural marriages?

Will someone save me a really good parking space at Derby City?

DeeMan

sack316
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
"Seeing the love fest that the Crimson Tide is now having with their newly acquired coach/savior Nick Saban why do they bother to get a new coach every few years and pay $4 million and change just to deem him a loser a few years later. Why don’t they pay some smuck, like me or Spiderman, $2 million and a shovel so we could dig up Bear Bryant and make everything right in Tuscaloosa?"

The last day or two at the poolhall I've been asked numerous times (usually in a cocky manner from Bama fans), " so whatcha think about Saban being hired?"

My reply is simply, "yeah man, he's great. Too bad they are gonna have to be paying off so much money when the fire him in a year or two without giving him a chance".

Ah, years of being an Auburn fan has finally paid dividends the last few years. War Damn Eagle!

Sack

hondo
01-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Our boy at WVU held out for the big bucks and then
turned Alabama down. A little smarter than he looks.
As for Brittany, twat underwear?
The rest of your comments were over my head.

Deeman3
01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Hondo,

You are right. he may be much smarter than anyone else, playing the attention for a big raise. Besides, after all that time in WV, with one leg shorter than the other, he'd have a hard time standing in Alabama.JK /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeeMan

Qtec
01-04-2007, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What basis do scientists have for being able to reject a God outright, but be willing to swear that 20 billion years ago all this we see, universe, stars, Milky Way and Brittany’s underwear all started with a mass smaller than a softball?
<hr /></blockquote>
First of all Deeman, EVEYBODY knows Britney doesn't wear underwear! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif [ Where have you been?]
I don't think scientists DO exclude a creator, they just don't have the proof to confirm one exists.

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman3
01-04-2007, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>
First of all Deeman, EVEYBODY knows Britney doesn't wear underwear! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif [ Where have you been?] <font color="blue"> Not in a position to see if she ever wears them or not. </font color>
I don't think scientists DO exclude a creator, they just don't have the proof to confirm one exists. <font color="blue"> Like they have seen a Big Bang? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

DeeMan
the last big bang I saw was in college....

S0Noma
01-04-2007, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>

<font color="blue">To 'reject God' implies that scientists have some kind of proof that God exists in the first place. Scientific study is a work in progress and there are still many gaps. To say, "Ah ha! There's a gap that science can't explain! It must be God!" is a logical fallacy. An unexplained mystery does not automatically indicate the existence of a supernatural being. Give science the time and eventually many of the existing gaps will be filled. Believe me, if they find God in one of them while they're searching they will be more than happy to declare it. </font color>

Where do atheists, believing that their love and emotions are all just chemical reactions, turn to in times of great need/sorrow? Do they just say? “Well, my child/husband/friend was just an organism anyway, no need to grieve.” Do they really not pray in foxholes?

<font color="blue">How could knowledge of how tear ducts function possibly demean or debase the act of crying? As if knowing the physiological basis for why something is happening undermines its validity. Likewise, how could God belief or lack of same legitimize or negate the pain of losing a loved one? Are you saying that because one man believes in God and another doesn't that grief for the one would be more painful than for the other? Or that love would be genuine for the believer and impossible for the one who does not? That doesn't make sense.

“Atheism” simply means “without belief in entities called gods”. It doesn't mean an atheist is incapable of feeling human emotions or understanding the difference between right and wrong.

As to your question about atheists in foxholes? Check this link, they have a few things to say about it:

http://www.atheistfoxholes.org/ </font color>

If aging is a product of genes, why with every possible mutation on the table, so to speak, has there not been a mutation in all of history that made a defect, not allowing ageing to occur? Wouldn’t we have some Andy Runny character eventually say, “Wait, it’s been 1,200 years and I’m not even seeing nose hair here!” Wouldn’t, eventually, two of these people get together and have longer lived offspring making that mutation favorable?

<font color="blue">In fact, there are some humans with a genetic predisposition towards longer life. They are capable of passing on the 'longevity gene' to their offspring. Meanwhile science may get to the bottom of the immortality thing long before random selection. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomerase </font color>

If Sunday is just another day, why do liberal companies pay double time for employees to work then? Shouldn’t atheists work on Easter or not be paid?

<font color="blue">Ever wonder how 'Easter' got its name? It comes from the Pagan goddess 'Ester', the goddess of fertility (Easter bunnies? - eggs? oh my!). The Pagans were celebrating this holiday long before the Christians co-opted it. Likewise, as you probably already know, Jesus wasn't really born on December 25th. Yet another Pagan holiday (Winter Solstace) that was ripe for the plucking, I guess.

So, I think the real question that should be asked is do we ALL have to earn the right to party at Christmas and Easter or should that right remain solely with those who started the party in the first place?</font color>

An oldie of mine…Why are motorcyclists allowed the freedom of not wearing a helmet in many states but all require seatbelts for car drivers?

<font color="blue">Good question. Here in Cal, pre helmet laws, my ER Dr. friend used to refer to motorcyclists as 'organ donors'. Go figure. Could be that there are far more car people than there are bike people and the cost of medical treatment for accident victims is commensurately higher based on the shear numbers. I expect the insurance companies may have had a hand in lobbying for the seatbelt legislation just to save themselves the extra expense. Wouldn't surprise me if they did. </font color>

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> </font color>

cushioncrawler
01-04-2007, 06:18 PM
...What basis do scientists have for being able to reject a God outright... [Comment. I doubt that any scientist rejects anything outright, they simply adopt the best looking theory untill a better looking one comes along. But scientists are happy to reject the christian god outright -- this stupid god iz an impossibility].

...Where do atheists, believing that their love and emotions are all just chemical reactions, turn to in times of great need/sorrow?.... [Comment. Science duznt have a good explanation for consciousness (and conscience) -- but this duznt mean that life etc iz a miracle].

....If aging is a product of genes, why with every possible mutation on the table, so to speak, has there not been a mutation in all of history that made a defect, not allowing ageing to occur?... [Comment. 1... It haz -- God iz it. 2... Perhaps there haz been a very long lived ageingless organizm, eg a virus. But, it appears that shorter lived organizmz have some sorts of advantage, ie quicker and more mutation. 3... And, an organizm with zero ageing would allso have zero mutation, hence a shortish reign on earth due to the faster fords on the block]. madMac.

cushioncrawler
01-05-2007, 12:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> ... Where do atheists, believing that their love and emotions are all just chemical reactions, turn to in times of great need/sorrow? Do they just say? “Well, my child/husband/friend was just an organism anyway, no need to grieve.” Do they really not pray in foxholes?.... <hr /></blockquote>
This lamentation sort of fits into Richard Dawkins' five examples of... ".... i was an atheist, but ..... "
I couldnt get the link to work, but i think u can eezyly find it if u google...... "I'm an atheist, But"

cushioncrawler
01-05-2007, 05:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> ....Where do atheists, believing that their love and emotions are all just chemical reactions, turn to in times of great need/sorrow? Do they just say? “Well, my child/husband/friend was just an organism anyway, no need to grieve.” Do they really not pray in foxholes?... <hr /></blockquote>

"....On January 14, 1907, Adolf Hitler's mother went to see the family doctor about a pain in her chest, so bad it kept her awake at night. The doctor, Edward Bloch, who was Jewish, examined her and found she had advanced breast cancer.

Adolf Hitler sobbed when the doctor told him she was gravely ill and needed immediate surgery. A few days later, Klara Hitler, 46, was operated on and had one of her breasts removed. But the operation was too late. Her illness, malignant cancer, would slowly ravage her body. She couldn't make it up the stairs to the family apartment, so they moved into a first floor apartment in a suburb next to Linz, Austria.

Eighteen-year-old Adolf had grand ideas of someday becoming a great artist. Each October, entrance examinations were held at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. Despite his misgivings about leaving his mother, Hitler's artistic ambitions had driven him to withdraw his inheritance from the bank and move to Vienna to study at the academy.

Problems had arisen for Hitler when he failed the academy's entrance exam and his mother's condition took a turn for the worse. He left Vienna, feeling quite depressed, and went back home to his mother and did not tell her he failed the exam.

Hitler consulted Dr. Bloch who recommended drastic treatment to save his mother's life. The painful, expensive treatment involved applying dosages of iodoform directly onto the ulcerations caused by the cancer. She was moved into the warm kitchen of the Hitler apartment where Adolf kept constant watch and even helped out with household chores such as cooking and washing the floor. The apartment, however, always smelled of iodoform.

She bore the pain well, but Adolf anguished over every moment of her suffering. Her condition steadily worsened and as the festive Christmas season approached in December 1907, she was near death. In the early hours of December 21, amid the glowing lights of the family's Christmas tree, she died quietly. Adolf was devastated. Dr. Bloch arrived later that day to sign the death certificate. He later said he had never seen anyone so overcome with grief as Adolf Hitler at the loss of his mother.

Klara Hitler was buried on a misty, foggy December day in the cemetery at Leonding, next to her husband. The cemetery also contained her son Edward, Adolf's younger brother, who had died from measles at age six.

The next day, Christmas Eve, Hitler and his sisters paid a visit to Dr. Bloch and settled the medical bill. The doctor gave the family a break on the charges considering the many home visits he had made to his patient. Adolf Hitler expressed profound gratitude to the doctor. "I shall be grateful to you forever," Hitler told him.

Now, with both parents gone, Hitler once again set his sights on Vienna and the art academy. He moved there in February 1908. But in that beautiful old city things would go quite poorly for Hitler. He would eventually wind up sleeping on park benches and eating at charity soup kitchens. His years of misery in Vienna would also be a time when he formulated many of his ideas on politics and race which would have immense consequences in the future...."

DickLeonard
01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Deeman a Famous name from yesteryear Charles "CueBall Kelly "Zingale had a method of cooking glass to beat the Pawn Shops in NYC. For that reason I was always leery of Diamonds no matter wher they came from. Sorry Tiffany.

Question? Is Nick Saban related to Lou Saban first coach of the Buffalo Bills in the AFC? ####

Gayle in MD
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> What basis do scientists have for being able to reject a God outright, but be willing to swear that 20 billion years ago all this we see, universe, stars, Milky Way and Brittany’s underwear all started with a mass smaller than a softball? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

What basis do people have for accepting a God outright?

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Where do atheists, believing that their love and emotions are all just chemical reactions, turn to in times of great need/sorrow? Do they just say? “Well, my child/husband/friend was just an organism anyway, no need to grieve.” Do they really not pray in foxholes? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

What makes you think that athesiets believe that their love and emotions are all just chemical reactions? If, as they say, God is love, and forgiveness, and one lives their life with love and forgiveness in their heart, why must there be a name, such as God, added to the equation? Where is the forgiveness involved in sending so called souls, to the fires of hell and pergatory? Branding a new born baby as a sinner? Banishing innocent and unbaptized children from heaven? If you had the power to end all suffering, you would surely do so. Why, then, wouldn't a God of love and forgiveness, have compassion equal to your own?

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> If aging is a product of genes, why with every possible mutation on the table, so to speak, has there not been a mutation in all of history that made a defect, not allowing ageing to occur? Wouldn’t we have some Andy Runny character eventually say, “Wait, it’s been 1,200 years and I’m not even seeing nose hair here!” Wouldn’t, eventually, two of these people get together and have longer lived offspring making that mutation favorable? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Entropy 3: the degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> If side spin does not transfer to the object ball why am I sneaking the 4 off the cushion at a shorter angle in one pocket to avoid another ball and successfully pocketing it in the corner pocket? Why does the ball spin sideways down the able and rebound at an angle off the end cushion? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Because you believe your lying eyes? As do I.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> If Sunday is just another day, why do liberal companies pay double time for employees to work then? Shouldn’t atheists work on Easter or not be paid? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Better question might be why do conservative Christian companies do the same thing?

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Why does the buy-American market in Detroit sell a higher percentage of import cars than they do in Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, etc? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Because people in Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi always chose the inferrior selection, and especially when they vote. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Would any of you who are guilty about the Blood Diamonds you have or are wearing send them to DeeMan for proper disposal? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

My diamonds are too old to require any guilt, just as my little minks, were depressed and on the brink of suicide anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Why would someone spend time photographing or searching for a glimpse of a young woman’s crotch getting out of her car when that is the one physical item on her body that is not much different from your wife, girlfriend or next door neighbor’s anatomy? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Because each one is special and beautiful in it's own unique way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Why is Jehad an acceptable term while Crusade is not PC? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Neither term is PC. They are both names for actions of mentally ill extremists who thrust evil upon the world, and justify it by invoking the name of GOD.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> What is one thing the UN has done right in the last 10 years? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Speak out against unprecedented pre-emptive illegal war, launched by one of the most destructive dictators of our times, George Bush.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> An oldie of mine…Why are motorcyclists allowed the freedom of not wearing a helmet in many states but all require seatbelts for car drivers? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Because if you don't value your life enough to stay off motorcycles on the highway, weaving in and out of traffic, in the way of drivers who can't see you coming half the time, yet still have to bear the costs and legal fees, and conscience after having smashing you against a tree, the public would just as soon let you weed yourselves out.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Why are the gays fighting for the right for marriage between two homosexuals and not for the rights of plural marriages? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Because gay people, unlike some sexually perverted religious groups, value exclusivity, and wish for the legal rights of all others who value the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Will someone save me a really good parking space at Derby City? [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

For your sake, I hope so, but if you're going to ride your motorcycle there, you might not need one anyway... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DeeMan

Deeman3
01-05-2007, 01:22 PM
My diamonds are too old to require any guilt, just as my little minks, were depressed and on the brink of suicide anyway.

<font color="blue"> Gayle,
That's got to be the best answer I have received to any question lately! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

DeeMan

Gayle in MD
01-05-2007, 05:24 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

S0Noma
01-05-2007, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"....On January 14, 1907, Adolf Hitler's mother went to see the family doctor about a pain in her chest, so bad it kept her awake at night. The doctor, Edward Bloch, <hr /></blockquote>

Cushioncrawler, there are times when I wonder if you and I are reading the same threads. Is there an Australian language version of the NPR that I'm not aware of?

WTF does HITLER's MOTHER?!!? have to do with Deeman's post?

Just saying...

cushioncrawler
01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> ...Cushioncrawler, there are times when I wonder if you and I are reading the same threads. Is there an Australian language version of the NPR that I'm not aware of? WTF does HITLER's MOTHER?!!? have to do with Deeman's post? <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr>....Where do atheists, believing that their love and emotions are all just chemical reactions, turn to in times of great need/sorrow? Do they just say? “Well, my child/husband/friend was just an organism anyway, no need to grieve.” Do they really not pray in foxholes?... <hr /></blockquote>
Hell, i dont know. Perhaps Adolf's grief was meant to show that atheists can grieve (if Adolf was a closet atheist). Or, if Adolf was a (catholic??) theist, then it was meant to show that theists ... um, um (struggling a bit here), um ... can be little devils at times.

But perhaps i shood have said something like this...

If god made the sorry situation, and if god invented the ability to grieve, then why would someone want to turn to god for help. Would god turn the sorry situation around, or reward the griever some other way. Stupid.

What if god made humans grieve say 10 times as deeply and 10 times as long as humans grieve now, would this be really really much better. What if god suddenly decided that hencely humans will grieve 1/10thly as deeply and 1/10thly as long as before, would this be really really much better. The whole thing is a sort of circular arguement. Stupid.

There must be some sort of Darwinian link between survival and grief -- but too much grief is not good either.

This sort of circular arguement or paradox reminds me of one of my mates sayings, which he got from his dad, his dad used to say...

".... With my luck, if i kissed a guy i'd like it".

S0Noma
01-05-2007, 07:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr>
Hell, i dont know.
<hr /></blockquote>

Okay.... Moving on now, for the record, Hitler was raised Catholic but it's pretty clear that later on in his life he was a pretty big fan of Pagan symbols and such. Either way, I think this may be one of those 'Godwin' thingies they mention on Wiki.

For future reference:

<font color="blue">Godwin's Law
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is a mainstay of Internet culture, an adage formulated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." [1]

Godwin's Law does not dispute whether, in a particular instance, a reference or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis might be apt. It is precisely because such a reference or comparison may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin argues in his book, Cyber Rights: Defending Free Speech in the Digital Age, that overuse of the Hitler/Nazi comparison should be avoided, as it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.

Although in one of its early forms Godwin's Law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[2] the law is now applied to any threaded online discussion: electronic mailing lists, message boards, chat rooms, and more recently blog comment threads and wiki discussion pages.

Corollaries and usage

There is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress. This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's Law. Thus Godwin's Law serves also to impose an upper bound on thread length in general. However, it is rare for the person accused of an unfair comparison to Nazism to concede the argument themselves. Therefore, the argument will likely arise in another thread if the participants have a sufficient level of emotional attachment to the topic of debate. This calls the long-term utility of Godwin's Law into question.

It is considered poor form to arbitrarily raise such a comparison with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized codicil that any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's Law (in the above sense) will be unsuccessful. This is sometimes referred to as "Quirk's Exception". "RGB's Restriction of Quirk's Exception", also states: "In cases where the subject of the comparison to Hitler fails to recognize the applicability of Quirk's Exception, Quirk's Exception shall not apply and Godwin's Law shall take effect in its normal manner."

Godwin's Law does not apply to situations regarding Genocide, Propaganda or other main-stays of the Nazi regime or any threads started by Deeman on the NPR.</font color>

web page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law)

cushioncrawler
01-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Godwin's Law -- some good stuff there. But, it karnt be denyd, i woz perfiktly in order in referring to Hitler, for 3 reezonz.

1... "She bore the pain well, but Adolf anguished over every moment of her suffering. Her condition steadily worsened and as the festive Christmas season approached in December 1907, she was near death. In the early hours of December 21, amid the glowing lights of the family's Christmas tree, she died quietly. Adolf was devastated. Dr. Bloch arrived later that day to sign the death certificate. He later said he had never seen anyone so overcome with grief as Adolf Hitler at the loss of his mother".....
So, here we have an old jewish doctor, saying that he had never seen so much grief, a doctor who spent much of his time looking at jewish grief, an inferior grief obviously, compared to christian grief. All of this is central to the thread -- no "Godwin's Law" in this lot.

2... The story sez "Hitler", but in fact mum and Adolf were "Schecklegrubber" or somesuch. Koz, mum woznt marryd, and even if she were marryd, she would have been a "Hietler" at that stage. So, zero "Godwin's Law" here allso.

3... Godwin's Law is inadmissable here -- it violates The Constitution. Look at it closely -- God Wins -- change the "Law" to "Commandment" and the vileness of this non-impartial law becomes obvious. madMac.