PDA

View Full Version : Some Facts About Members of New Congress

S0Noma
01-04-2007, 12:26 PM
By The Associated Press
The Associated Press
Wednesday, January 3, 2007; 8:04 PM

-- Some facts about members of the new 110th Congress taking office Thursday:

_The average age in the 110th Congress is 57. The average age of House members is 55.9; the average age of senators 61.7.

_The average age of freshman members of the House is 49.3 and the average age of freshman members of the Senate is 54.2

_There are 90 women in the 110th Congress, 74 in the House, including three delegates, and 16 in the Senate.

_There are 10 women in the freshman class of the House and two women in the freshman class of the Senate.

_There are 42 black members of the House. Of these, three are freshmen and two are delegates. There is one black senator.

_There are 27 Hispanic members of the House, including one delegate. Of these, one is a freshman. The Senate has three Hispanic members.

_There are seven Asian members of the House, including one black member of Filipino descent. One of these is a freshman. There are two Asian members of the Senate.

_There is one Native American member of the 110th Congress in the House.

_Protestants, grouped together, make up the largest religious group in the 110th Congress. But the largest single denomination is Roman Catholics.

_The freshman class of the House has the first Muslim and the first two Buddhists to serve in Congress. The rest of the class comprises 45 Christians and six Jews. Of the Christians, there are 18 Roman Catholics, 17 Protestants, six nondenominational Christians, three Greek Orthodox Christians and one Mormon.

_131 members of the 110th Congress have served in the military, 102 in the House and 29 in the Senate.

___

Sources: Congressional Research Service, CQ.com, politics.ap.org

nAz
01-04-2007, 02:56 PM
wtf? not one atheist or atleast an agnostic among them?

hey here is another fact sure to drive some of my conservative buddies craZy Nancy Pelosi is now second inline for the Presidency :P

pooltchr
01-04-2007, 04:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Nancy Pelosi is now second inline for the Presidency :P

<hr /></blockquote>
Thanks for that comment. Now please excuse me while I go change into a clean set of boxers!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

cushioncrawler
01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>.... wtf? not one atheist or atleast an agnostic among them?.... <hr /></blockquote>
Haz there ever been an atheist or agnostic in the fed govt ??

Or at least a "closet-atheist" ?? -- u know, like the pope.

Woznt one of the founding fathers an atheist ?? madMac.

cushioncrawler
01-05-2007, 05:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> ...There is one Native American member of the 110th Congress in the House....<hr /></blockquote>
What, zero hawaiianz, zero eskimoz, zero new-mexicanz, one-indian ??

Looks like that indian killer general sherman had more effect on american politics (and buffalo) than allmost anyone. madMac.

DickLeonard
01-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Naz all we need is for George to go hunting with Dick and both mistake each other for Quail and Steve will never get off the toilet. Gayle and I will permanently affix a Smiley Face on our Posts.####

pooltchr
01-05-2007, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Naz all we need is for George to go hunting with Dick and both mistake each other for Quail <hr /></blockquote>

Do you think they are good enough to actually hit what they are aiming for???
Steve

Gayle in MD
01-05-2007, 12:21 PM
There were actually quite a few founding fathers who were athiests.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
01-05-2007, 12:25 PM
We need more Athiests, Buddhists, Muslims and American Indians. I'm happy to see the rising numbers of women, and former military people.

Gayle in Md....

Fasteddy7
01-05-2007, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> ...There is one Native American member of the 110th Congress in the House....<hr /></blockquote>
What, zero hawaiianz, zero eskimoz, zero new-mexicanz, one-indian ??

Looks like that indian killer general sherman had more effect on american politics (and buffalo) than allmost anyone. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

Their welcoming gift to congress is probably a blanket rubbed with small-pox.

S0Noma
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Not so sure about that Gayle. I think there were several prominent ones who were Deists though - Thomas Jefferson among them.

<font color="blue">Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him [Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Short, April 13, 1820

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

</font color>

Gayle in MD
01-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Thank you friend...me thinks some don't tell...when you read their letters, many seem atheist. I read recently about a few representatives who took their oaths on things other than the bible, law book, the Constitution, wish I could remember them all, quite interesting...I'll have to look it up again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jefferson was way ahead of his time.

Gayle in Md.