PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a unique situation w/ McDermott cue

krynsky
01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone this is my first posting. I play pool a couple times per month and for 11 years have been using a McDermott Cue. They no longer make the exact same one, but it's basically a "Genisis Colorado Red" from their lower end "competor" series (retails for $189)
You can see it here (http://www.mcdermottcue.com/MG05_a.asp)

I recently found out about their free lifetime maintanence program and sent my cue in. The folks at McDermott let me know there's a very slight warp to the shaft. The guy said probably not enough to affect playability as the cue still rolls very straight. Because the cue was bought before their lifetime warranty plans were in effect it would cost me $75 to replace the shaft.

Frankly I could feel something was a little off with the shaft during play, that was part of the reason I was at the McDermott website in the first place.

Well, after some back and forth with the coustomer service rep I managed to get an interesting offer. Since the cue was already at their factory I could "trade-in" my old cue and get any new McDermott Cue for 50% off! The guy said there were no restrictions, I could pick any cue but I have my doubts that if I asked for a $3,000 cue I'd get half off!!

Regardless that's not anywhere in my price range. I'd be looking at upgrading to a cue in either their "Tournament" or "Competitor" series The competitor series resells for $249 - $379 and the Tournament resells for $379 - $609

Here's the thing, I realy like the look of my $189 cue; and since I've been playing with it for 11 years I'm very happy with the playability and feel.

However a 50% off deal doesn't come every day. I would invest in a higher priced cue if the quality/playability was better. So here's my question to all you McDermott experts out there.

Will a more expensive McDermott play better/be of higher quality then the one I've got now. Or (even at 50% off) would I simply be getting a cue with better asthetics?

Here's is a comparison chart of McDermott cues. The biggest differences I can see with my Competetor series vs everything else is that my shaft as grade "A" wood that has been aged 12-18 months. Both higher series have grade "AA" aged for 18-24 months.... I don't know how big of a difference that is, and/or if there's anything else.
comparison sheet (http://www.mcdermottcue.com/XFeaturesCompare.asp)

cueball1950
01-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Im MY humble opinion. If you like the way that cue hits. then get a new shaft and go on using it. i agree that a 50% off deal sounds good. If you really want to upgrade then i would do it in a heart beat. But that question is only one that you can answer. About upgrading that is........mike

cushioncrawler
01-05-2007, 03:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote krynsky:</font><hr> ....The folks at McDermott let me know there's a very slight warp to the shaft. The guy said probably not enough to affect playability as the cue still rolls very straight....<hr /></blockquote>
Krynski -- For god'z sake, ask satan to send your beautifull bent cue back, and see if they will send say another 100 other bent cues with it, hopefully for allmost zero cost -- then, select a bent cue that suites your game. Or, are u one of themz playerz that play better with a straight cue, ie 1 player in perhaps 100. madMakski.

DickLeonard
01-05-2007, 06:28 AM
MadMac Brilliant!!!!!####

MrLucky
01-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Having used McDermotts since 1985 and owning 3 in my collection of Cues I would say 1) The 50% off offer is at dealer cost! I would most certainly use it!!!
2) Technology has changed and I would have to say while I still love the hit and feel of my D15 (the one that began my love of McDermotts) My new Knight cue and Valiant Cues are markedly a better hit! and come with lifetime free maintenance plus their Lifetime warranty!
<font color="red">So my friend having said that my approach would be to see if they would give you the 50% off deal and your old cue back since you still like it or if you really want your old one use the 50% offer for a new I-2 Shaft for it! Peace and good luck MrLucky </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ohplayer
01-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I agree. Take the discount.

hondo
01-09-2007, 11:15 AM
I've had 2. One was a cheaper one that I didn't like
at all. The other is a McDermott Sierra. Very nice
looking and a great hitter. Half off of full retail would be less
than $300, I think.

Snapshot9
01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Take the offer ... They don't come along everyday, and you're suppose to love a cue for its mind, not its looks .... LOL