PDA

View Full Version : First table recommendation

tomx
01-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Just saw the following ad, what do you guys think? Thanks!

Tom

---------------------------

Brunswick Pool Table complete set $500 OBO

Date: 2007-01-05, 10:01AM PST

Brunswick Pool Table Pioneer Oak Model BG

The kind they use in clubs and pool halls.
complete w/balls, rack, sticks (8), etc.

great condition, purchased new 2 yrs. ago for $900.

mantis
01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I would actually be a little skeptical. Brunswick does not make a table that can be purchased brand new for $900, and they didn't 2 years ago either. They have another line of tables called the contender series, but I do not think that any of them were that low either. I could not find the pioneer model on their current web site. I am not sure if it is one that they had before or not. I bought my Brunswick table 2 yrs ago, and the cheapest "brunswick" (Not Contender) table they made was the Brookstone, which sold for about $2200. Also, the kind they use in pool halls are generally Brunswick Gold Crown tables. Hope this helps!

mantis
01-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I actually some other info on this table. Itis a very low end table. It uses "Slatron" for the playnig surface instead of slate. I would stay away from it if you are looking for something that will last. If you are stretched for cash, and just want something to play one, look for a cheaper table with this type of surface. I would not pay $500 for a used slatron table. Otherwise, keep looking for a used table in decent shape.

tomx
01-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Thank you very much for the replies. I think I will pass this one (unless I can get it for $200 or something).

I browsed the forum and I found a couple of guys mentioned the valley coin op tables. It looks like it's a decent one. And one guy even mentioned you can move it without disassamble it. Is this true or not?

Also, I found one ad from my local craigslist (see below). Do you think I should get one? is the price OK? I really appreciate your input!

Tom

====================

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/258596550.html

Pool table (valley coin op bar size) - $500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-258596550@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-01-06, 12:16PM PST

We have two left. (360) 281 6878 You have to pick up and pay cash only. They have slate tops and all parts are easy to get from Valley.( but all work now) If you want to pick them up remember they are really heavy so you need at least 4 guys.Preferrable 6 The first one was picked up by three guys and it wasnt enough. They had a really hard time.
From 1-5 only call

SPetty
01-08-2007, 12:13 PM
You can move a Valley coin-op without disassembling it, or you can remove the legs if you need to carry the box sideways.

The pictures look like the tables are in good shape. The Valley coin-op is a fun table to play on. You would enjoy it, and $500 is a good price.

Shaft
01-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I bought a Valley 8ft. coin op table, new. It was delivered fully assembled (except for the 4 legs) by two guys in a truck with a hydraulic loading platform. They moved it around on its side using one very beefy handtruck. It was set up and leveled in 15 minutes.

Lifting it in and out of a truck has got to be the hardest part, so you might want to rent a truck with a lift.

I have moved it by myself using a car jack and 4 homemade (beefy) furniture dollies.