PDA

View Full Version : table skid marks...

bubbachuck
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
im getting a new table soon and i heard that hitting the cue ball hard actually leaves white skid marks on your table due to the heat from the fiction... is this true? and if it is, is there a way to prevent it or clean it off, because i want to keep my table in good shape

Rich R.
01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> im getting a new table soon and i heard that hitting the cue ball hard actually leaves white skid marks on your table due to the heat from the fiction... is this true? and if it is, is there a way to prevent it or clean it off, because i want to keep my table in good shape <hr /></blockquote>It is true and the only way to prevent it is to keep everyone away from your table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IMHO, you should use your table and enjoy it. Keep it as clean as possible, but don't worry about the skid marks.

mantis
01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
It does happen, but not that often. I play my table almost every day, and have very few skid marks on it. Make sure to brush and cover the table after use though to keep the dirt and chalk off the table, as that causes most of the breakdown of the felt to occur

Billy_Bob
01-09-2007, 01:53 AM
I just installed new cloth on my table a month ago. I always break from the center (as well as some friends) and already have a streak going down the center where I break from. But I use my table quite a bit.

When it wears out, I'll just install new cloth again.

Chopstick
01-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Quick Clean takes them off of mine. Which reminds me I need to order some more.

Quick Clean (http://quick-clean.com/)

bradb
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
According to Mike Segal skid marks are a natural part of the game, if you follow through correctly your tip will touch the surface. I noticed them on my new table and was worried till I read segals comments. Brad B

bubbachuck
01-09-2007, 04:38 PM
so the skid marks dont really affect the play of the table?

bradb
01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
No, just brush your table every once in a while. The felt is quite strong the brushing is to keep the surface clear for better play. if your felt is simonis then you can brush it any direction, napped cloth should be brushed one way only.

bradb
01-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Correction, I meant to say Yes, it will effect play. Cheers, Brad

bradb
01-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Correction again, it will not effect play unless its allowed to build up to much hence the brushing,,,have i confused you enough :&gt;)

ABQ_Poolhead
01-09-2007, 10:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> im getting a new table soon and i heard that hitting the cue ball hard actually leaves white skid marks on your table due to the heat from the fiction... is this true? and if it is, is there a way to prevent it or clean it off, because i want to keep my table in good shape <hr /></blockquote>
It is true, and it is due to friction. Simonis cloth is especially subject to the skid marks because of the materials that are in the cloth. When I got my 9' Olhausen with Simonis 760, I was alarmed because of the marks. I called Simonis, and they gave me that explanation, and assured me it wouldn't affect the playability of the cloth. More than a year later, I have developed quite a few skid marks, but the cloth still plays wonderfully, to to me that's a fair trade.

Fran Crimi
01-10-2007, 07:14 AM
They're burn marks where the dye has been burned out of the cloth. You shouldn't let that bother you. It just means that you're playing on the table. The only way to keep your cloth from showing marks over time is to not play on it.

Fran

mworkman
01-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Is it true that different cloth may leave less of these marks? I just put new cloth on (tour ed.) and am hoping I have less of these.

Fran Crimi
01-10-2007, 07:23 AM
It's true that some cloths will show marks sooner than others, but they will all eventually show marks as they wear.

Fran

mantis
01-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Quick clean will remove skids that occur from chalk, but it will not remove the burn marks that occur from the slide of the ball. Nothing takes that out. It is normal wear and tear.

bsmutz
01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I believe you can avoid the skid marks if you never hit the ball hard. Use only soft breaks and shoot at pocket speed on every shot, and you'll be fine (except your game may suffer).

GKH
01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi! Do most of you feel that brushing is still essential, even if something like Quick Clean spray is used? I just recently got a table, and I just saw the Quick Clean spray advertised. I want to take the best care possible of my table and the cloth.

Much thanks for any comments! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

- Greg

mantis
01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes, brush after nearly every time you play. you only use quick clean every now and then. I use it about once a month, and brush in between uses. You do not want dirt and chalk to build up on the table. Brush every time, cover the table when not used, and use quick clean now and then. Some people also vacuum every now and then also.

GKH
01-16-2007, 04:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> Yes, brush after nearly every time you play. you only use quick clean every now and then. I use it about once a month, and brush in between uses. You do not want dirt and chalk to build up on the table. Brush every time, cover the table when not used, and use quick clean now and then. Some people also vacuum every now and then also. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks!

Rich R.
01-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Be aware, some people think that Quick Clean and similar products affect the cloth, on a long term basis. I can't say, because I have chosen to not use it.

Brushing, vacuuming and a quick wipe with a damp cloth, would be my suggestion for proper table care.

Sid_Vicious
01-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I forgot about those spots a long time ago. If you are going to enjoy your table, then play your regular style and live with these small details. It is a pool table for God's sake, not a relic nor an antique item. And no, marks do not affect the way a table plays until the entire surface gets slick due to general wear...sid

Bob_Jewett
01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> im getting a new table soon and i heard that hitting the cue ball hard actually leaves white skid marks on your table due to the heat from the fiction... is this true? and if it is, is there a way to prevent it or clean it off, because i want to keep my table in good shape <hr /></blockquote>
As mentioned, the most common cause of the white marks is hitting the cue ball hard and especially hitting down on the cue ball. All shots are somewhat elevated -- you can't play with a really level cue stick without getting bloody knuckles and broken fingers. For the break shot, you can place a small square of cloth under the cue ball. That will prevent most of the marks.

Greg in VA
01-18-2007, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> im getting a new table soon and i heard that hitting the cue ball hard actually leaves white skid marks on your table due to the heat from the fiction... is this true? and if it is, is there a way to prevent it or clean it off, because i want to keep my table in good shape <hr /></blockquote>
As mentioned, the most common cause of the white marks is hitting the cue ball hard and especially hitting down on the cue ball. All shots are somewhat elevated -- you can't play with a really level cue stick without getting bloody knuckles and broken fingers. For the break shot, you can place a small square of cloth under the cue ball. That will prevent most of the marks. <hr /></blockquote>

Very good advice. A "break cloth" made a HUGE difference on my table. Now, if only I could do something about the "landing spots" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob_Jewett
01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Greg in VA:</font><hr> ... A "break cloth" made a HUGE difference on my table. Now, if only I could do something about the "landing spots" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Just shoot harder so the cue ball is almost but not quite landing as it gets to the head ball. You may want to cover any windows in the room with plywood before you start your training sessions.