PDA

View Full Version : Heated Slate On Pool Tables?

Sid_Vicious
01-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Anyone ever thought about heated slate beds on a pool table, instyead of just billiard tables???sid

Chopstick
01-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Yes.

theinel
01-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't have any specific examples but I'm sure it's been thought of and tried. I would guess that the reason you don't see it in pool is because the purpose of the heat is to increase the maximum distance that the cue ball can travel to enable 7 plus rail shots. That much travel just isn't required in pocket games.

Fran Crimi
01-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Yes, it's been tried. The problem is in the cost. Would you spend several thousand dollars more for one? Most people wouldn't. However, for 3C, it's worth it due to the demands of the game.

Fran

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2007, 07:56 AM
How is the heating grid physically manufactured onto/into the bed for the task? Just curious...sid

Chopstick
01-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Just get ya a few water bed heaters and glue em to the bottom.

Chopstick
01-10-2007, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> to enable 7 plus rail shots. That much travel just isn't required in pocket games. <hr /></blockquote>

You haven't seen Sydney play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Chop is right. The more distance I can travel, the more the luck factor ;-) sid

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
"the purpose of the heat is to increase the maximum distance that the cue ball can travel to enable 7 plus rail shots."

I'll admit that I haven't watched that much 3-C, but in all I have seen, I have never as far as I can remember, seen any 9-ball speed strokes in 3C. Given that fact, if it holds water, I'd say that the heated beds don't come into play for that purpose. I'd much more believe that there is a desire to get 7 rails with a gentle/finesse stroke, which the heat may provide. Otherwise, a 10' billiard table with 760 would provide adequate travel length w/o the heat. There is more stroke left in most all the billiard opponents that I've ever watched. Jm2c...sid

Pizza Bob
01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Sid:

I think billiard cloth is faster than 760. For some reason Carom 300 comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's the correct designation. I played pool on a table covered with carom cloth and it was amazing how fast it was - the cue ball rolled forever. Bob Jewett should check in on this thread and give us the skinny on the heat and the cloth.

Adios,

Pizza Bob