PDA

View Full Version : Success: Hard work and competition defined

Billy_Bob
01-09-2007, 01:57 AM
What do people do to get ahead? What does "hard work" really mean? Read on...

I read all sorts of books and just finished an older book called "One L" by Scott Turow 1977. "The turbulent true story of a first year at Harvard Law School".

The contents of this book are a definition of hard work and competition. With a few attempts at cheating thrown in.

As I read this book, I kept thinking about pool. How in pool someone can be top dog, then go to a tournament where everyone else is a top dog, and then the competition becomes fierce! And how some people will try to cheat to get ahead. Anything to give themselves a little advantage.

Anyway this book is a study of what it is like at "the top". How the students were all straight "A" before attending this school, but not everyone can get an "A" while attending, as the school is designed to have only a few "winners". Interesting to see how the students reacted to this situation. Similar reactions can be found at your local pool tournament.

Also what they did in an attempt to be a winner ("A" student). The strategies they used and the hours of hard work they invested in this effort. Some students only slept 5 hours per night on a regular basis. Almost all of their time was spent on their studies.

While reading this book, I kept thinking about things covered in other books like "The Art of War". Things like spying or keeping secrets from your enemy (in this case the other students). Or expressions like "Hold your friends close, hold your enemies closer!"

Anyway if you want to know what it takes to be at the top, I think this book shows a rare glimpse into that world - how much time and work these people invest in getting to the top. The extremes these people will go to.

Older books like this available here...
http://used.addall.com

jjinfla
01-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Great book. My wife and I both read it a while back. She wished she would have read it prior to going to law school.
Then she might not have gone through all that.

Jake