PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Cue Stick

Dulcey68
01-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Hello! Can anyone tell me if there is a website that has a listing of vintage cues? I have one that belonged to my Dad that he got in California I think in the 40's. I don't know that much about cue sticks, so I'd like some information. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pizza Bob
01-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Pictures would help. Barring that, at least something more descriptive. How old? Any markings? Type of joint? Number of points and veneers? Even then, pictures are what will help an accurate assessment of what you have.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Dulcey68
01-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for replying Bob! I'll try to describe it the best I can....There are three pieces to this cue, the base, (I guess that's what you call it), and two tops (?). Anyhow, on the base piece, it says "Ku King Snooker" Brunswick Corporation. It has a "19" stamped on it about the middle of the base piece. I'm not sure what you mean by points, if it's the darker pointed markings, there are four. I don't know much else about it, except my Dad bought in California, ( I would guess the late 40's) and he used it to play in big tournaments. He used to have oodles of trophies when I was younger, but I don't know what happened to them. I don't know if any of this information is helpful, but I certainly thank you for anything you can tell me.
Dulcey

bsmutz
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
What you are calling the base is more commonly known as the butt of the cue. The tops are called shafts. So you have one butt and two shafts. The 19 stamped into it indicates that it weighs 19 ounces. Sounds like it is what is known as a "sneaky pete" or converted house cue with 4 points. As far as the vintage (year it was made), I'll have to defer to the wiser cue historians on here. It definitely sounds like it is worth keeping, not only for the sentimental value but it may have some collectible value as well. Do the shafts taper all the way to the tip or is the last 10-12" of the shaft the same diameter (taper ends a foot or so before the tip)? This may help determine if it is a converted house cue or a two piece production cue.

Dulcey68
01-19-2007, 09:14 PM
My husband says that one of the shafts is a jump stick.....

Dulcey68
01-19-2007, 09:20 PM
What is the difference between a converted house cue and a production cue?

Pizza Bob
01-20-2007, 05:46 AM
The Ku-King Snooker was manufactured as a two-piece cue. Your time-line sounds correct. The one shaft that you have termed a "jump-shaft" is most likely a snooker or billiards shaft with a European taper (tapers all the way to the ferrule). If the other shaft is relatively the same diameter for the last 8" - 12", that would be made for pool. Ku-Kings aren't real common, but they were a rather basic cue and found more in Canada and the Mid-West where snooker was/is a popular game. It is tough to put a number on it, but I would imagine its value would be similar to a Master-Stroke model - maybe slightly higher due to it being less common. I'd say in the $200 to $350 range (with both shafts) depending on condition. In reality it's only worth what someone is willing to pay which can be largely dependent on how well it's marketed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob