PDA

View Full Version : cue decision

SteveFromNY
01-09-2007, 03:05 PM
hello all. I'd finally decided on a custom cue from 2 makers (Richard Black and Capone). I've hit with both of them and feel that the capone is more balanced but the Black is just beautiful!! Can you guys and gals take a look and tell me which you prefer and if you have any personal experience with them (since mine was limited to a few hits), by all means please comment! Thanks all!

Steve

http://www.indyq.com/custom/capone/cap-A.html

http://www.indyq.com/custom/capone/cap-a.jpg

or this one (which I'm leaning towards)

http://www.indyq.com/custom/capone/Dec%2005%204Pt%20Iv%20Jt%20Iv%20Inlays.html

http://www.indyq.com/custom/capone/Capone-12-14-05-b-701.jpg

here's the Black cue I'm looking at. "BUSHKA"

http://blackcues.com/

http://www.blackcues.com/brochure/bushka.jpg

Rich R.
01-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I have to vote for either of the Capone cues.
Capone cues play great and I don't think you will be disapointed.
I have two myself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have never played with a Richard Black cue, but I have read mixed reviews on them. They are very pretty, but some players are not happy with the way they play.
Although I do like the design of Black's "Bushka" cue, and almost purchased one myself, a few years ago, there are many of them around. You will have a more unique looking cue, with one of the Capones.

mantis
01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I know when you spend a lot, you want it to look nice. However, noone cares how nice of a cue their opponent has, just whether or not they win. I would never choose looks over feel. I would rather see the ball fall into the pocket any day.

theinel
01-10-2007, 12:17 AM
This is an opinion question and will have a different answer for each person who has seen or hit the cues. Of the three pictures you provided the second Capone looks the best to me.

Based on the cues I've used I'd say I have a preference for a Capone over a Black but that's based on limited time with a small number of cues.

Like a kid with a new pair of shoes you will love whatever one you choose.

Snapshot9
01-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Not knowing either cuemaker's cues personally, but have heard good things about both:

The Richard Black is the best looking, IMO. And I could live with the wrap, for awhile anyway.
The Capone is okay, but I would have to put a black stacked leather wrap on it.

BUT, I will not live with a cue that does not suit how I like them balanced, because it affects certain shots. Playability comes first with me, then comes looks.

dg-in-centralpa
01-10-2007, 06:23 AM
I think both cues are good. I have a Black "Bushka" for several years and I love it. Nothing against Capone, I never played with one or had a chance to try one. Maybe Rich will let me try his when we get together at Valley Forge. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DG

Pizza Bob
01-10-2007, 06:32 AM
While I have no personal experience with Richard Black's cues, there is no denying that aesthetically he has some beautiful designs. However, the "Bushka" is pretty run-of-the-mill from a design standpoint. Mike builds cues that play wonderfully - and I do have personal experience with them, I own four Capones. I assume you're buying this cue to play with - not just as a collectible - you have both in the Capone. Go for it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Rich R.
01-10-2007, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> I know when you spend a lot, you want it to look nice. However, noone cares how nice of a cue their opponent has, just whether or not they win. I would never choose looks over feel. I would rather see the ball fall into the pocket any day. <hr /></blockquote>
With the Capone, you get both good looks and good playability. It is a win - win situation with the cue. The rest is up to you.

Rich R.
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Maybe Rich will let me try his when we get together at Valley Forge. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>
No problem. I look forward to it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SteveFromNY
01-10-2007, 01:32 PM
you guys don't understand how badly I want the first cue now actually the more I look at it. And, the more I look at the price of the cue, the more I realize that the money I could potentially save by shopping for a less expensive cue would enable me to put that pretty little shiny engagement ring on my girlfriend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif ugh...decisions decisions.

dg-in-centralpa
01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Cue or ring for girlfriend? Tell the girlfriend to buy you the cue for an early wedding present. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DG - just trying to help

Pizza Bob
01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr>...a less expensive cue would enable me to put that pretty little shiny engagement ring on my girlfriend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif ugh...decisions decisions. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, hey, hey...a cue is forever. Let's get our priorities straight here.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Rich R.
01-10-2007, 08:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> you guys don't understand how badly I want the first cue now actually the more I look at it. And, the more I look at the price of the cue, the more I realize that the money I could potentially save by shopping for a less expensive cue would enable me to put that pretty little shiny engagement ring on my girlfriend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif ugh...decisions decisions. <hr /></blockquote>
The real question is, will the girlfriend allow you to use the cue? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

mantis
01-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I must say that I belive a nice cue is something that you buy with extra money that you have after everything else more important is paid for, especially since much of the cost of a more expensive cue will not affect how you play. Selflessness and responsibility are great ways to start a relationship. I love pool, and would love a nicer cue, but I will take my wife over either any day. Life decisions are yours to make, but I would say to get the ring first, the spend whatever you have left on the best cue you can get (actually I would say on the honeymoon, a house down payment etc. etc. but then youmay never get the cue. I guess that is why I still use a "players" cue).

SteveFromNY
01-10-2007, 10:32 PM
lol...sorry guys. my post was meant to be nothing more than humorous. There's no doubt that anybody as important as my future wife will come first. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Snapshot9
01-11-2007, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> lol...sorry guys. my post was meant to be nothing more than humorous. There's no doubt that anybody as important as my future wife will come first. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That might be future ex-wife, since the divorce rate is 65% for 1st timers, and 42% for 2nd timers. Kind of debunks the soul mate theory, doesn't it?

Rich R.
01-11-2007, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> I must say that I belive a nice cue is something that you buy with extra money that you have after everything else more important is paid for, especially since much of the cost of a more expensive cue will not affect how you play. Selflessness and responsibility are great ways to start a relationship. I love pool, and would love a nicer cue, but I will take my wife over either any day. Life decisions are yours to make, but I would say to get the ring first, the spend whatever you have left on the best cue you can get (actually I would say on the honeymoon, a house down payment etc. etc. but then youmay never get the cue. I guess that is why I still use a "players" cue). <hr /></blockquote>
Mantis, as a veteran of marriage for over 30 years, I have to reluctantly say, your priorities are in the right order.
However, if you continue to handle your finances correctly, the day will come when you can buy the custom cue that you would like.
Good luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SteveFromNY
01-11-2007, 10:22 PM
hi guys! I was playing a game of 9-ball tonight and a local brought in a bunch of cues for sale. I IMMEDIATELY fell in love with a particular skip weston cue. It also came with 2 predator shafts (I'm already using predators). The cue looks almost identical to first capone in this thread, but with mahogony and white veneers. he wants to sell it for $1200 and I'm completely torn! It also has a lizard wrap (which I'm impartial to) but I can always switch it out.

Has anybody ever shot with one? I got his number so I'll give him a call to test it out but how do you guys feel about the skip weston?

Rich R.
01-12-2007, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> hi guys! I was playing a game of 9-ball tonight and a local brought in a bunch of cues for sale. I IMMEDIATELY fell in love with a particular skip weston cue. It also came with 2 predator shafts (I'm already using predators). The cue looks almost identical to first capone in this thread, but with mahogony and white veneers. he wants to sell it for $1200 and I'm completely torn! It also has a lizard wrap (which I'm impartial to) but I can always switch it out.

Has anybody ever shot with one? I got his number so I'll give him a call to test it out but how do you guys feel about the skip weston? <hr /></blockquote>
I've never had the opportunity to use a Weston cue, so I can't help you there.
I do know someone with a lizard wrap and he love it. Give it a chance, before you switch it out.

SteveFromNY
01-12-2007, 06:48 AM
thanks for the advice! I'll definitely give the4 new wrap a try. I found a picture of how the cue looks. It's almost identical to this one that he made!

http://www.skipwestoncues.com/graphics/cues/examples/images/exam_cue_003_1_hi.jpg