PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to upgrade cloth and balls

idfliers
01-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Hello, I am getting ready to upgrade my pool table with new cloth and balls. I bought this table second

hand, and the original owner's wife INSISTED on purple (ick) cloth! I can't stand it any longer!!
Here is a link to the table so you can see the construction and details

http://www.pooltables-direct.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Hayward8&Cat egory_Code=pooltables

Hopefully someone here might be experienced with the products from this company and can answer

some questions.

Now, it has the 21oz worsted cloth in that godawful purple. I want to upgrade to the Simonis 760. Will

there be a big difference in the speed and playability of these two?

Also, it came with the "deluxe shatterproof" balls. I intend on getting the Aramith Super Pro set with

the measles cue ball. Will these have a significantly different feel to them?

Basically, it feels like we're playing in sand sometimes, with the amount of roll we get, and less than

crisp ball play, and I would think that is due to the cloth and balls.

Table is only about 3 yrs old, and is in really nice condition. We'd like to get more enjoyment out of our

play with it.

Rich R.
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote idfliers:</font><hr> Hello, I am getting ready to upgrade my pool table with new cloth and balls. I bought this table second

hand, and the original owner's wife INSISTED on purple (ick) cloth! I can't stand it any longer!!
Here is a link to the table so you can see the construction and details

http://www.pooltables-direct.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=Hayward8&amp;Cat egory_Code=pooltables

Hopefully someone here might be experienced with the products from this company and can answer

some questions.

Now, it has the 21oz worsted cloth in that godawful purple. I want to upgrade to the Simonis 760. Will

there be a big difference in the speed and playability of these two?

Also, it came with the "deluxe shatterproof" balls. I intend on getting the Aramith Super Pro set with

the measles cue ball. Will these have a significantly different feel to them?

Basically, it feels like we're playing in sand sometimes, with the amount of roll we get, and less than

crisp ball play, and I would think that is due to the cloth and balls.

Table is only about 3 yrs old, and is in really nice condition. We'd like to get more enjoyment out of our

play with it. <hr /></blockquote>
The color of the current cloth doesn't tell us much about what type cloth it is or how fast it plays. Note, Simonis is also a worsted wool cloth.

From what you have said, your cloth is one of the slower, napped, cloths and the Simonis will definitely be an improvement. However, I highly recommend that you get the Simonis 860, which is the type most often used for pool and for most pool tournaments.

The Aramith balls will make a slight difference, but the difference will be less of a change than changing the cloth. The Aramith balls are an excellent choice and you can not go wrong with them.

idfliers
01-09-2007, 08:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
The color of the current cloth doesn't tell us much about what type cloth it is or how fast it plays. Note, Simonis is also a worsted wool cloth.

From what you have said, your cloth is one of the slower, napped, cloths and the Simonis will definitely be an improvement. However, I highly recommend that you get the Simonis 860, which is the type most often used for pool and for most pool tournaments. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the intel. I couldn't find on the website, where they listed the type of cloth used, other than just 21oz worsted.

Guess I need to research the 860/760. I thought the 760 would play faster and that would make a dramatic difference in the play. I'll read up on the 860 as well then. We never play pool halls, just here at home for entertainment, so there would be no comparisons.
Thanks again.

Rich R.
01-09-2007, 08:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote idfliers:</font><hr> Guess I need to research the 860/760. I thought the 760 would play faster and that would make a dramatic difference in the play. I'll read up on the 860 as well then. We never play pool halls, just here at home for entertainment, so there would be no comparisons. <hr /></blockquote>
The 760 is faster than the 860, but it may be faster than you really want. The 860 is what is used at almost all major pool tournaments around the country.
Check this out, it may help.
http://www.simoniscloth.com/weave.htm

idfliers
01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Good info on that link, thanks. I hope we see a difference in the 860.
After looking around the site with our pool table, I see they sell Mali 820. This may be what we have on our table then. I'll have to do some digging to see how it compares to the Simonis unless someone hee already knows the answer.

bradb
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I have the fast play simonas on my new 9' table. I bought it with the table and I asked for the same cloth that tournaments are played on. They showed me the two cloths and I could see that the fast play has a tighter weave. I went to the simonas site and they claim that it rolls truer than all other cloth. Most decent pool halls now use the slightly slower cloth as it wears longer.
I found it a test to play on at first, but after 2 weeks of play the cloth has smoothed out a bit and i like it now. I think it has improved my play as I used to be a little careless on napped cloth and get away with it. With this surface you must be exact or your shape is gone. -Brad

JimS
01-11-2007, 07:30 AM
The 760 is more like what is used on 3 cushion tables and it's so fast that it's not realistic. Playing on a table with 760 on a regular basis will make playing anywhere else uncomfortable. It's just too fast... like playing on bare slate. The ball just rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls and ROLLS! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif 860 is the way to go. You won't regret it. 860 Simonis plays beautifully. It really is the best. It is what's used in all big tournaments and on most quality table.... like the Diamond's in use at the US Open and the DCC. Resist the temptation to have the fastest cloth in town! It's not a pecker contest. 860 Simonis is the time-tested best cloth in captivity.

bradb
01-11-2007, 10:51 AM
The 760 is slightly faster than the 860 I play on both and its not hard to adjust, but I agree that the 860 will probably be more comfortable for you.

idfliers
01-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Looks like the 860 will be the cloth for us. Really looking forward to getting rid of that purple stuff. Should be a lot of fun especially with the new Aramith balls.

Getting pricing on stuff now with Nielsen's.

Thanks all!

Rod
01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Don't for get the cushions. All cushion rubbers are not created equal. Granted a 21 oz cloth will slow down the bed speed to a degree but the cushions effect the rebound speed off the rails.

Rod

idfliers
01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, the cushions are supposed to be pretty good. K66 profile, 100% pure gum rubber with cloth back, and the table is only a few years old with not much playtime. I know it sat upstairs here for a year with no use. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The cloth and balls should be here about Tuesday, so next week should tell! My son &amp; I are really looking forward to it.

bradb
01-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Took a look at your table and it looks great. You should really enjoy playing on it with the top quality materials you ordered. Send an e-mail to Simonis and they will send you back the instructions on caring for the cloth.
-Cheers, Brad

idfliers
01-13-2007, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Took a look at your table and it looks great. You should really enjoy playing on it with the top quality materials you ordered. Send an e-mail to Simonis and they will send you back the instructions on caring for the cloth.
-Cheers, Brad <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, although I just clicked that link for the first time, and saw it directs to a diffrent table than mine. Close, but I guess I had the wrong link in the browser when I copied/pasted. had looked at others! Not that it matters much, but this http://www.pooltables-direct.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=Preston7&amp;Cat egory_Code=pooltables
looks like ours, only ours is 8ft in this model.

Boy, am I anxious for the new cloth and balls to get here! My son and I have shot several games today since it's too darn cold to go outside! was 4 this am and warmed up to 12...gee a heat wave! I'm sick of the cold! I need to move to AZ!