PDA

View Full Version : simonis cloth.... not worth it?

bubbachuck
01-10-2007, 03:05 PM
i was talking to my local dealer the other day about the 8ft table i was about to get and i was talking to him about the 1" thick slate upgrade and simonis cloth upgrade. And he told me that 7/8" slate is pretty much the same thing, and he told me that on an 8ft table simonis cloth is a waste because you buy simonis for speed and on a normal 8ft table you dont need that speed. is this true?

Pizza Bob
01-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Boy, there's a vendor with his own agenda. I'd think seriously about whether I'd want to give this guy my money. You were on the right track to start with - don't be dissuaded by someone with merchandise to push.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

scaramouche
01-10-2007, 05:01 PM
This link, at the bottom, has descriptions of various felts.
http://www.poolfelt.com/pool_table_felt_buyers_guide.html

They also sell the stuff, check their prices

Fran Crimi
01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> i was talking to my local dealer the other day about the 8ft table i was about to get and i was talking to him about the 1" thick slate upgrade and simonis cloth upgrade. And he told me that 7/8" slate is pretty much the same thing, and he told me that on an 8ft table simonis cloth is a waste because you buy simonis for speed and on a normal 8ft table you dont need that speed. is this true? <hr /></blockquote>

No, it's not true. I don't understand this whole 7/8 of an inch thing. Are you saying that the dealer is calling 1/8 of an inch an upgrade? I've never heard of such a thing. There's one inch slate and there is 1 1/2 inch slate and there is even 2 inch slate. But 7/8 of an inch? The whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Fran

Pizza Bob
01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>But 7/8 of an inch? The whole thing sounds fishy to me.<hr /></blockquote>

Howdy Fran. 7/8" is usually the base thickness of slate found on home/recreational tables and the 1" is usually sold as an upgrade. You're used to dealing with commercial/pro grade tables. Hope all is well with you.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

dg-in-centralpa
01-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Several years ago I put Simonis on my bar box. The dealer who sold me the cloth asked my why Simonis and I said why not. He sold it to me and I bought more from him when I needed it to recover the table. It wasn't that much more expensive than regular cloth.

DG

Rich R.
01-10-2007, 08:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> i was talking to my local dealer the other day about the 8ft table i was about to get and i was talking to him about the 1" thick slate upgrade and simonis cloth upgrade. And he told me that 7/8" slate is pretty much the same thing, and he told me that on an 8ft table simonis cloth is a waste because you buy simonis for speed and on a normal 8ft table you dont need that speed. is this true? <hr /></blockquote>
Chances are very good that one or two things come into play here.

1. Your dealer has a table with 7/8" slate in stock, and he wants to unload it.
2. Your dealer gets a higher commission for a cloth, other than Simonis.

I suspect both may be in play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

All I can tell you, to answer your question is, in my home, I have an 8' table, with 1" slate and Simonis 860.
Enough said.

Ralph S.
01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
The Simonis is the best way to go, hands down. A good alternate that plays very well is the champion grade of cloth by Mercury.

FatsRedux
01-10-2007, 11:57 PM

The salesperson is full of sh*t. Go for the 1" slate and get Simonis 860. Championship 3030, or Gorina Granito Basalt would also be good choices.

Fats

Fran Crimi
01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>But 7/8 of an inch? The whole thing sounds fishy to me.<hr /></blockquote>

Howdy Fran. 7/8" is usually the base thickness of slate found on home/recreational tables and the 1" is usually sold as an upgrade. You're used to dealing with commercial/pro grade tables. Hope all is well with you.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Pizza Bob,

Yup. I see that now after a little research on the web. Thanks for the info. Things are fine here.

Fran

Fran Crimi
01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
If you decide to go with the 1" slate, then there is one thing you absolutely have to make sure of, and that's that the table frame is able to handle an additional 12.5 percent increase in weight. Don't assume it is and don't necessarily believe the retailer. Call the manufacturer and get the okay from them, or you may be in for trouble down the line. I've seen it first hand what happens when the slate is too heavy for the frame. For a start, the table will constantly be off level as the frame starts to bend, then the slate will slowly start to lift up. It's nothing but trouble.

Fran

bubbachuck
01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
how much do you think the 1" slate upgrade and simonis 860 cloth upgrade will cost? ( dont wanna get ripped off by this dude...)

CustomLights
01-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Simonis is the only way to go. It isn't much more then the other cloths where I buy it!

dad8
01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
The salesman most likley doesn't like to sell simonis for both these reasons
1.The cost.We sale it just above cost with a table purchase.He or she most likley gave you the upgrade price to simonis for 150.00 to 225.00 that covers cost.
2nd.The installers are not good at applying simonis its not as easy to pull as your standard cloths.