PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring & Custom finishing a Gold Crown

Big_E
01-14-2007, 07:38 AM
We want to buy a 9ft Brunswick Gold Crown table. We want a black lacquer or similar finish. Brunswick doesn't make the black Poly NEW, anymore. We don't like the matte black/formica rails they offer today. Besides, we'd like chrome/stainless hardware. I'm thinking: buy a used Mohogany Gold Crown, refinish the wood, and refinish the hardware.

1. Who could do the refinishing of the wood & hardware?

2. Which Gold Crown do you prefer, III or IV?

Pizza Bob
01-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Welcome to the board. Of the two GC's that you mention, the GCIV is the better of the two. A lot of people prefer the first two generations of GC's, as they used pinned slate. Not much visible wood to refinish on a Crown. The side skirts are pretty much it. The rails are Formica or some other plastic laminate - I suppose they could be sprayed gloss black, but not sure how they'd hold up. Re-plating the hardware will not be inexpensive. Good luck on your project.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Tony_in_MD
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
How is the black table today different from the past?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_E:</font><hr> We want to buy a 9ft Brunswick Gold Crown table. We want a black lacquer or similar finish. Brunswick doesn't make the black Poly NEW, anymore. We don't like the matte black/formica rails they offer today. Besides, we'd like chrome/stainless hardware. I'm thinking: buy a used Mohogany Gold Crown, refinish the wood, and refinish the hardware.

1. Who could do the refinishing of the wood &amp; hardware?

2. Which Gold Crown do you prefer, III or IV?

<hr /></blockquote>