PDA

View Full Version : Best cue for 400$ to 800$ ?

whipy
01-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Hey I'm starting in competition play soon (very low level of course) and I'm thinking of treating myself to a new cue. I think my price range might be a bit too low for a good custom made cue (?) So i'm looking at some production cues, especially the Meucci Gambler II, the Predator Sneaky Pete 8pt. series, and maybe a nice looking McDermott like the Navigator II. What do you guys recommend? I live in Belgium so it's hard to consider American-made custom cues. Maybe in the end i'll wind up coughing up some extra cash and buying a nice Ernst cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Additional question: What do you look for in a custom made cue? Inlays are not that important to me, they only jack up the price, and if i'm spending extra $$$, i want it to be purely on cue quality.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

MrLucky
01-17-2007, 04:12 AM
In that price range I Love McDermott but would also look at Jacoby Cues ! Either one will be great especially when you add McDermotts lifetime warranty and level of quality to the mix. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hondo
01-17-2007, 07:01 AM
I recommend Shurtz, Pat Diviney SP, Keith Josey SP.
Or if you can find a Jeff Olney out there somewhere,
you're getting one of the best cues in the world.

Cornerman
01-17-2007, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whipy:</font><hr> What do you guys recommend? I live in Belgium so it's hard to consider American-made custom cues. <hr /></blockquote>In Belgium, I would consider a Schuler cue.

Fred

Snapshot9
01-17-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't know why you can't consider an American cuemaker.
You can get a nice cue from Shurtz for your price range.
He has some nice ones for $600-750 that play great, and have some inlays. Shurtz entry level custom is only $250. Olney cues is a good one too. Buying off the rack, I would recommend Schon.

Here is a cue from Shurtz for $500:
Shurtz $500 custom cue (http://www.shurtzcue.com/gallery/FrameSet.htm)

Page down in slide bar window on left, and click on each
model number at the bottom of each cue butt to get a full picture and price of each cue. Model 141-A and 142-A are the $500 cues.

whipy
01-17-2007, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> I don't know why you can't consider an American cuemaker.
<hr /></blockquote>

it just seems illogical to me to order a custom cue without first knowing which specifications will work for you. i'd rather visit the cuemaker's shop personally, try a few cues, see what specs suit me, see which weight suits me best for a particular brand of cue, etc. if you can't do that beforehand you're just as well off with a production cue imho.

thanks for your tips so far everyone! i will certainly look into them. keep them coming /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bsmutz
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
McDermott Sedona, $400 couple of posts up (well, down now that I've added to this post). If it was me, I'd go for it.

Cornerman
01-17-2007, 07:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> I don't know why you can't consider an American cuemaker.<hr /></blockquote>Are you actually responding to me???

The Schuler Cue is an American cue. And the OP is from Belgium. Schuler Cue has a strong presence in Belgium.

American made.
Strong presence in Belgium.
Original Poster is in Belgium.
Price wanted is between $400-$800.

Fred &lt;~~~ loves Shurtz cues as well

mantis
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
My understanding is that Schon makes some of the best production cues. There are certainly some in that price range. I have not personally hit one though.

jjinfla
01-18-2007, 08:42 AM
There are some Schon cues listed on Ebay now. Just do a search for Schon cue.

Jake

ceebee
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
You might take a look at the cues made by John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues www.auerbachcustomcues.com (http://www.auerbachcustomcues.com)

John makes some very nice cues in that price range and up...

You get a great product, a nice warranty &amp; good customer service.

whipy
01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
thanks people, i will surely look into all the brands that you've suggested. Billiard shops over here actually sell brands like Schuler, Schön, McDermott, Meucci, Predator,... So I'm just gonna visit some shops, try different cues, see which one suits me best, that's still the best way to go I would imagine. I might even have a custom one made. If you know any good custom cue makers in Europe, be sure to tell me. We'll see. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sygfrid
01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whipy:</font><hr> I think my price range might be a bit too low for a good custom made cue (?)

Additional question: What do you look for in a custom made cue? Inlays are not that important to me, they only jack up the price, and if i'm spending extra $$$, i want it to be purely on cue quality. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, you can have a great custom cue made for at least $450. Check out VIATTORRE (http://www.viattorre.com)

For me, nothing beats customs, from reputable makers of course. Not only are they personalized, they are also made more slowly &amp; handled carefully like the traditional way of making Japanese swords.

Ironically, the more you put into the cue (inlays, splicing, even coring the butt) the more of the cue's playability (e.g feel) is lost. Try comparing a sneaky pete 1pc house cue vs. a 2pc cue, you'll easily notice that there's more "feel" in the 1pc cue. This "feel or feedback" is the vibrations or energy waves that travel from the cue's tip all the way to the butt &amp; into your fingers. With 1pc cues, the energy waves that travel throughout the entire cue is almost pure because there is no, or less, hindrance or cut along its path (2pc cues have "cuts" at the joint &amp; hindrance like stainless steel). It is necessary that your fingers get as much "feedback" as they can because this will tell your brain how much power you've just used so that in the future, you'll know exactly how much power you'll need to exert once again with the same shot, allowing you to control the ball better.

How does this playability/fee/feedback important? It's like comparing a sports car &amp; w/ a regular one. The sports car has better handling or "feel" due to its better suspension, enabling the driver to quickly learn how to handle it at high-speed cornering. Unlike with ordinary cars, it's quite hard to learn how to do the same task quickly because the suspension is has less feel or "softer"

Simply put, The more information your brain absorbs (through the cue's energy transfer or "feel") the easier it is for you to learn the shots. If the energy transfer is almost pure (from your arms to the cue tip), you will be able to execute shots effortlessly &amp; control the cue ball better

Therefore, a GREAT CUE has GREAT PLAYABILITY.

If you decide to go customs &amp; you want more "feel" to your custom cue, I suggest you get a med-hard to hard tip &amp; shorter ferrule (.75" &amp; less), a solid butt (one kind of wood for the entire butt, or at least from the forearm up to wrap area; you can have other woods or designs at the butt sleeve since you don't really hold the cue there), no wraps since there's also some energy loss w/ the wraps. Get a large joint pin like 3/8x11, 3/8x10, &amp; radials. They have bigger "teeth" so they cling to the shaft better. Also go for the wood-to-wood joint &amp; not stainless steel because not only does it add weight, it also absorbs energy.

But before anything else, try to play w/ different cues from other players so that you'll have an idea of the cues' "feel" because some people don't like the vibrations while others, like me, love it.

You may also want to checkout www.easypooltutor.com. (http://www.easypooltutor.com.) A lot of players there have custom cues like South West, Mike Bender, Dick Neighbors, Viattorre, &amp; some custom cue makers, like John Madden, Q-builder, Linds, etc. also participate there in the forum and give tips &amp; recommendations.

Hope this helps /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whipy
01-18-2007, 12:36 PM
wow, thanks sygfrid! can't get to the contact page at viattorre.com though, it says 'Module isn't active'. thanks for your explanation, always nice to hear an experienced opinion /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sygfrid
01-18-2007, 10:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whipy:</font><hr> wow, thanks sygfrid! can't get to the contact page at viattorre.com though, it says 'Module isn't active'. thanks for your explanation, always nice to hear an experienced opinion /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

no problem, just my 2cents /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you can check viattorre's link at www.easypooltutor.com (http://www.easypooltutor.com)