PDA

View Full Version : Player's Resposibilities?

Ralph S.
01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Recently I have been having some debates with players at tournaments that I play in and some others that I run. One that really caused some heated debate was when I got after a few players for continually coming up and and asking "what table am I on"? This is after I have loudly and clearly called the matches and repeated them a second time incase they didn't get them on the first call.

I told the players,{always the same ones that don't pay attention}, that they are responsible for listening and reporting to their table assignments. I also told them that if they didn't start paying more attention, that I would start listing them as forfeits. Am I in the wrong or being overly harsh?

The other problem that has occurred with sevral players is always running up and asking, "how much did I go for in the calcutta, and who bought me"? Again I responded that it is the players responsibility to keep track if they intend to bid or buy half of themselves back? This sparked even greater controversy.

I must say that it gets very frustrating when this happens week in and week out. Particularly by players that are good shooters and have been around long enough to know better. If anyone has any thoughts, I am interested in hearing them.

SpiderMan
01-17-2007, 06:56 PM
I wish more TDs would clamp down on the abusers that delay tournaments.

Several months ago I played in a tournament where one of the players left the facility to run an errand, and his match was called and forfeited.

This player returned about 45 minutes later and noticed that his opponent's NEXT match had not yet begun. The absentee player requested to be allowed to play the match he missed, and to the astonishment of most of us, the request was granted.

This ridiculous pampering of a player set back the following rounds of the tournament by the entire amount of time needed to make up the match. We ALL had nothing to do but sit around and wait. Also, the previously-absent player actually won and advanced. I believe this was at least partially due to upseting the concentration of his opponent, who was unfairly robbed of his declared win.

I have never seen a worse an example of a lax TD being led by the nose.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Just being frank with you Friend...these things are probably something to live with, or bail out on completely. Many pool players are little children when it comes to game night, and several are babies all the time they play. Tough job running the "pool show" unless you sincerely love abuse. Be like me, a player and not a leader. Otherwise, accept things, cuz these people are way past your ability of changing, short of kicking them out. That's worked when implemented where I play, but it almost NEVER happens. Spiderman knows what I'm talking about with a "booted" player or two, but mostly about the pandering to the vast majority of the infants...sid

mantis
01-17-2007, 08:09 PM
I understand that these things would be frustrating, but they really do not seem that big a deal tome. I would generally be all buisness at a toutnament, and would pay attention, but a player may have beenin the bathroom, talking to his wife that called him on the phone etc. Good service is a key to continued success, and I would consider these thigns good service. Of course, there is always a line to be drawn. Someone 45 minutes late should not be allowed to play.

Fran Crimi
01-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Ralph, you're not overly harsh, but it sounds like you could use a little help at your events. You can't do everything yourself, especially when there's a calcutta involved. Hopefully you use a scoreboard that is in the open that everyone can see. Have someone help you with the draw, where you draw the names and call them out to someone who writes them in on the scoreboard. They should also write the table number at the same time you assign it. Then continue to put the table numbers by each match on the scoreboard throughout the tournament. But still annnounce the matches and stand by the 15 minute rule. If they aren't there playing in 15 minutes, they forfeit. You can even make it 10 minutes if you're pressed for time.

Have someone hold the calcutta information so the players can approach them during the tournament to find out who they have to give half to. This will free you up to keep the matches going and do what you have to do to keep things running smoothly.

Fran

Rich R.
01-18-2007, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Be like me, a player and not a leader. <hr /></blockquote>Sid, if everyone took that stand, there would be no tournaments. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I commend Ralph on taking the initiative to run tournaments and deal with the abuse. I see no problem with him cracking down a little bit. Once a player forfeits one or two matches, they may learn to pay attention.

I do like Fran's idea of posting the table assignments on a chart. I wish they would do that where I play in a weekly tournament.

Billy_Bob
01-18-2007, 07:26 AM
I've been a TD and had a lot of trouble with people being able to hear me due to loud music, talking, etc. Sometimes I need to walk up to them and shout in their ear.

And being a player in tournaments, I many times can't hear who they are calling due to loud music, other people talking nearby, or TD is announcing who is playing with his back to me.

Anyway I went to a tournament where they had solved these problems. That is to use one of those handheld megaphones. Problem sloved! Picture of megaphones...
http://www.bryansmusic.com/page238.htm

Billy_Bob
01-18-2007, 07:30 AM
P.S. Also I have had problems with the wrong person coming up to the table. This is when two people have a similar sounding name. Like Fred and Ted. I call Fred and Ted comes up to the table. So I always watch to make sure the correct players walk up to the table to play.

One guy in my area is hard of hearing. You can call anyone's name and he will think you called him. It is quite funny sometimes...

sygfrid
01-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I've been organizing local tournaments for several years now &amp; the same things happen to me.

Sometimes it's neither the organizers' nor the players' fault. Sometimes it's the audio system that is at fault especially when the mic has echo/reverb. Sometimes the venue itself has bad acoustics.

Sometimes the organizers don't speak clearly.

Sometimes the players' minds are off somewhere trying to calm themselves from the game's pressures. Sometimes, like what you said, they are just stubborn and wanted to be treated like a baby.

These things happen especially with leagues &amp; small tournaments. I'm sure this happens also in major tournaments like WPC, though not as often since the players really mean business.

Like they say, it's all part of the game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chopstick
01-18-2007, 01:33 PM
On the Florida Men's Pro tour they have a simle solution to this. When you sign up they have a stack of blank folded white cardboard signs and they write your name on it with a magic marker. When it comes time for your match they put your sign on the table light. Then they just call out match so and so your table is ready.

Ralph S.
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi Fran. I actually already have someone help mw with the draw and filling in the brackets like you suggested. Part of the problem is that some of these players don't feel as though the rules apply to them simply because they are very good players and help fuel the calcutta $$$$. At one time when I tried imposing some stiffer regulations, the room owner was actually afraid that it would drive some of the players away by being too strict. Unfortunately, I was overuled and some of this still goes on now and then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ralph S.
01-18-2007, 02:30 PM
That is extremely wrong for that to have happened. I personally would quit running the tournament on the spot before I would let a player get that kind of a free pass.

Ralph S.
01-18-2007, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that these things would be frustrating, but they really do not seem that big a deal tome. I would generally be all buisness at a toutnament, and would pay attention, but a player may have beenin the bathroom, talking to his wife that called him on the phone etc. <hr /></blockquote>

These things are a big deal Mantis. They are what keeps a tournament running smooth and trouble free. Also, they aint talking to their wives or what not, they are busy gossiping about who beat who the night before.