PDA

View Full Version : pool sticks not in use...

bubbachuck
01-18-2007, 08:29 PM
my friend wont be playing pool for a while due to his injury and he was concerned because he just got his new Viking F60 series and he has put it in a hard case and stored it in his closet... i keep telling him if he doesnt use nothing is gonna happen to it.. but he keeps saying that the shaft will get sticky and the tip will wear down... i need to show him he is wrong because that doesnt even make sense.. the tip wearing down by not using the stick.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif haha! so everyone post what you think will happen to steves stick so i can show him what other people think since he doesn't believe me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sygfrid
01-18-2007, 10:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> my friend wont be playing pool for a while due to his injury and he was concerned because he just got his new Viking F60 series and he has put it in a hard case and stored it in his closet... i keep telling him if he doesnt use nothing is gonna happen to it.. but he keeps saying that the shaft will get sticky and the tip will wear down... i need to show him he is wrong because that doesnt even make sense.. the tip wearing down by not using the stick.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif haha! so everyone post what you think will happen to steves stick so i can show him what other people think since he doesn't believe me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, the tip does wear down. I had a multi-layered tip in one of my old shafts. I stored my shaft for like a year since it's like my collectible shaft. When I tried using it again, the tip suddenly crumbled into pieces. I found out that the tip developed moisture even if it's stored in a hard case.

When you constantly use the cue, the tip becomes more compressed, therefore making it more stable. That's why you have to "break in" the newly installed tip.

The shaft also becomes sticky because it releases moisture that it absorbed (from sweat &amp; environmental factors)when it was out of the case. Wood has pores so it's natural for it to absorb &amp; release moisture. That's why you have to burnish your shaft often in order to "close" the pores &amp; make it smooth.

There's isn't much problem with the butt since it has finish so it's not very much affected by humidity. Although lateral forces like gravity can warp the butt if it's stored for long horizontally (the gravity pulls the butt at different points causing warpage... a butt stored vertically is being pulled by the gravity only at one direction therefore maintaining the cue's straightness). That's why you'll often find warped cues in stores especially if they are not hanged naturally.

According to a custom cue maker, there's even a certain exotic wood which, if not used often, loses its natural color and turns brown.

You can ask the custom cue makers regarding proper care &amp; storage of your cues /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jjinfla
01-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Of course he is right so as his friend you should tell him that the only way to prevent that from happening is for it to be used on a weekly basis. So as his friend he should let you play with it every week.

Afterall, what are friends for.

Jake

bubbachuck
01-19-2007, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the tip does wear down. I had a multi-layered tip in one of my old shafts. I stored my shaft for like a year since it's like my collectible shaft. When I tried using it again, the tip suddenly crumbled into pieces. I found out that the tip developed moisture even if it's stored in a hard case.

When you constantly use the cue, the tip becomes more compressed, therefore making it more stable. That's why you have to "break in" the newly installed tip.

The shaft also becomes sticky because it releases moisture that it absorbed (from sweat &amp; environmental factors)when it was out of the case. Wood has pores so it's natural for it to absorb &amp; release moisture. That's why you have to burnish your shaft often in order to "close" the pores &amp; make it smooth.

There's isn't much problem with the butt since it has finish so it's not very much affected by humidity. Although lateral forces like gravity can warp the butt if it's stored for long horizontally (the gravity pulls the butt at different points causing warpage... a butt stored vertically is being pulled by the gravity only at one direction therefore maintaining the cue's straightness). That's why you'll often find warped cues in stores especially if they are not hanged naturally.

According to a custom cue maker, there's even a certain exotic wood which, if not used often, loses its natural color and turns brown.

You can ask the custom cue makers regarding proper care &amp; storage of your cues <hr /></blockquote>
Are you serious? how long does i take for this to start happening?

sygfrid
01-21-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure how long/fast this can happen. Try asking the pro-shops or the cue makers. If you play weekly, I don't think this will be any problem /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Scott Lee
01-21-2007, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

You can ask the custom cue makers regarding proper care &amp; storage of your cues <hr /></blockquote>
Are you serious? how long does i take for this to start happening?
<hr /></blockquote>

bubbachuck...I don't know if he's serious, or just seriously smoking some good stuff! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've owned and seen many cues, that were unplayed for even DECADES, with no problems like he described. As long as the cue is kept out of heat and moisture, (and properly stored...not leaning against a wall) it will remain completely playable, with no detrimental effects.

Scott Lee

sygfrid
01-21-2007, 09:02 PM
bubbachuck...I don't know if he's serious, or just seriously smoking some good stuff! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've owned and seen many cues, that were unplayed for even DECADES, with no problems like he described. As long as the cue is kept out of heat and moisture, (and properly stored...not leaning against a wall) it will remain completely playable, with no detrimental effects.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Of course I'm serious, I wouldn't mention it if it didn't happen to me (re the tip)... Lucky for you you didn't experience any problems with your cues. Some people that I know of are not too fortunate

We all agree that a cue stored properly (not leaning on anything, away from extreme heat/cold &amp; humidity, and stored vertically and, sometimes, naturally on its weight if it'll be kept for long) will remain playable throughout the years.

Some woods (esp. the exotic ones) are more sensitive than the others that's why extra care must be given to these woods /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

canadan
01-21-2007, 11:04 PM
so what about the cues that sit at the pro shops I'm sure not every cue has a turnover time of a month?

sygfrid
01-22-2007, 01:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> so what about the cues that sit at the pro shops I'm sure not every cue has a turnover time of a month? <hr /></blockquote>

Some woods warp faster than the others so it's still best to check their straightness before purchasing them. Good thing some cue makers and pro shops offer warranties on warpage.

hhilario
01-22-2007, 05:51 PM
That might explain why a recently retiped cue lost a chunk after 2 weeks of playing and not doing anything out of the ordinary with it. I bought the tip in 98 and retiped the cue august last year; on september I was cueless (or tipless).