PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 or Straight pool question

idfliers
01-18-2007, 08:30 PM
OK, probably a dumb nu-bee question, but how do you keep score in 14.1 when playing by yourself. I've printed and read the rules over and over, and what I'm getting is a legal shot is a called ball pocketed (1 point), or a numbered ball or the cue ball hitting a cushion (0 point, no foul)

<font color="red">"2. On all shots, a player must cause the cue ball to contact an object ball and then (1) pocket a numbered ball, or (2) cause the cue ball or any numbered ball to contact a cushion. Failure to meet these requirements is a foul."</font color>
Could be I'm tired tonight, but that would seem to say you could miss your shot, but as long as the numberred ball or the cue ball hit a cushion, you could just keep going. can't be right...could it?

ABQ_Poolhead
01-18-2007, 08:37 PM
id, the only way you keep going in straight pool is to call a ball, call the pocket, make the shot. Your rule quote pertains to legal shots vs. fouls. If you make your called shot, OR hit a ball and something goes to the rail without making your shot, you have not committed a foul (foul means BOH behind headstring for other player, plus 1-pt. deduction from your score). You only get to keep going, however, if you make the called shot.

Chopstick
01-19-2007, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote idfliers:</font><hr> OK, probably a dumb nu-bee question, but how do you keep score in 14.1 when playing by yourself. <hr /></blockquote>

I just write down 4 and start over. That's about my average run nowdays. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cycopath
01-19-2007, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ABQ_Poolhead:</font><hr>(foul means BOH behind headstring for other player, plus 1-pt. deduction from your score).<hr /></blockquote>

just so there's no confusion for the original poster, ball in hand comes only if you pocket the cueball. A scratch or foul where the cueball stays on the table the shooter is penalized one point and the following player shoots from where the cueball is positioned.

Fran Crimi
01-19-2007, 12:58 PM
The answer is that you can't play 14.1 by yourself. You can practice 14.1 but you can't actually play a game without an opponent. I guess you could pretend to be both yourself and your opponent but that would be about the best you could do alone.

Fran

caedos
01-19-2007, 04:15 PM
If you have a rule book, you might start playing Equal Offense by Jerry Brieseth. It's 14.1 with a scoring system so you can see if you are improving over the course of games, days, and months. It's a great way to work on your straight pool game.

Carl

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

idfliers
01-19-2007, 04:52 PM
OK, clear as mud! No, thanks folks, I think I understand it now.

Basic principle:Make a ball, score a point. Miss a shot or scratch, start all over again.

Boy and some of you guys have runs over 100?? Holy smokes, I have some work to do!

The freezing temps and snow on the ground have kept me off the golf course, so I've been dedicating alot of time to my pool table while trapped inside. Guess I'll keep at it. Gotta be able to do better than 9! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif